Facelift S3 Facelift 7 Speed S Tronic

AlwaysBeenS3

Reaction score
Drove the 7 speed facelift the other and noticed that the gear changes were not as sharp as the pre-facelift...the six speed gearbox used to have instant changes (what i mean by instant is that when you look at rev meter, the needle would drop instantly and then rise sharply as you apply the throttle)

It reminds me a lot like the box found in the new BMW's (non DCT)

Has anyone else found this?

I think if you are just poodling about it seems to be a bit lazy on changing.
However when giving it the beans I find it quicker that the 6 Speed DSG in my GTI.

Reactions: Audi Bairn and Rolly12
Drove the 7 speed facelift the other and noticed that the gear changes were not as sharp as the pre-facelift...the six speed gearbox used to have instant changes (what i mean by instant is that when you look at rev meter, the needle would drop instantly and then rise sharply as you apply the throttle)

It reminds me a lot like the box found in the new BMW's (non DCT)

Has anyone else found this?

I've only driven the PFL S3 on a 1 hour test drive, then bought my FL on the back of that.
I've not experienced any delay in the changes on the FL at all, but it depends what mode you're in and how you're driving.

As above all depends which mode you are in, if the car is in dynamic and box in S you'll notice the changes sharpen up significantly.

Reactions: richard skilbeck
I agree with the poodling around bit as thats where i noticed it became lazy

The problem with having the box in S is that it holds the gears forever (all the way to the red line) unless you stick into S and then move over to manual/paddles (which is where most spirited driving is done)

Just found it strange how in normal mode it behaved in such a manner

you are not the first person to say this, and some acceleration times suggest the prefacelift is faster. Perhaps the transmission TCU knows that it is still relatively new in its break-in period so it doesn't try to shift too fast to increase longevity.

It didn't feel slow through the gears to be honest and from what iv been told the shorter gears have knocked off some time of the 0-60, but overall i was impressed by it nonetheless

Reactions: Audi Bairn
I personally think the 7sp is big improvemt over previous 6sp. In D mode both very similar but driving in dynamic/sport mode the 7sp is actually usable and rapid gear changes will change gears to 3/4/5 way easier than previous 6sp which holds second for eternity.

We had pre facelift S3 for 2 years (stock) I've got MK7R for 3 years with stage 2 mods, pedal box and DSG tune. Obviously that's close to perfection!

I find the FL S3 has sharper throttle response and better gear changes. I don't even feel it needs DSG tune or pedal box unlike the previous model.

Reactions: Audi Bairn
Just the response i was hoping for.

The MK7 R is a solid car even as stock and with a DSG tune it must be even better!