Facelift S3 Facelift (7 sp) launch control

OliS3

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

After owning a PFL for 3 years I've done many launch control starts and it always grabbed at 4k and then accelerated to redline other than wheel spin etc.

My facelift doesn't seem to always do the same thing, as I let off the brake more times than not the clutch doesn't grab till 5k+ and I'm worried it is clutch slip.

Anyone else noticed this? I've watched quite a few videos and have seen it happen once or twice but most cars seem to grab at 4k like my PFL

Thanks in advance

Oli

It could be it’s not built up enough boost to launch rather than clutch slip.
As I understand it the revving is to build up boost to a certain level for launch regardless of revs. If the criteria isn’t fulfilled then it’s just like pulling away from a junction where it allows some clutch slip till a certain speed/revs etc are achieved.

Reactions: OliS3
I'll try and get a video of it happening as it isn't that easy to explain

Gives you more of an idea what I mean

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Might need to hold the accelerator for a tad bit longer before releasing the brake so it bounces off that 4K ish limiter a few times before you release. Only launched my own once but did it 100 times in the loan car the dealer gave me.
Will give mine a shot later if I get the opportunity and report back.

Might need to hold the accelerator for a tad bit longer before releasing the brake so it bounces off that 4K ish limiter a few times before you release. Only launched my own once but did it 100 times in the loan car the dealer gave me.
Will give mine a shot later if I get the opportunity and report back.

Thanks a lot. I've tried longer and shorter, both seem to give the same outcome. It pulls off fine i'm just a little concerned it will damage the clutches long term but I guess that is what warranty is for

Thanks a lot. I've tried longer and shorter, both seem to give the same outcome. It pulls off fine i'm just a little concerned it will damage the clutches long term but I guess that is what warranty is for

It’s definitely not gonna do it any favours :wink:
The computer is smart enough to save the clutch plates and gearbox unless you got a ridiculous tune on it even then the torque limiters should kick in to stop damage.

It’s definitely not gonna do it any favours :wink:
The computer is smart enough to save the clutch plates and gearbox unless you got a ridiculous tune on it even then the torque limiters should kick in to stop damage.
Car is completely stock and hasn't long been run in

Car is completely stock and hasn't long been run in

Warranty if it goes kaput:thumbs up:

Just watched the video again. Could that be the torque/power limiter for 1st and 2nd that cutting in?

Warranty if it goes kaput:thumbs up:

Just watched the video again. Could that be the torque/power limiter for 1st and 2nd that cutting in?
I think it's slip personally, the torque limiter kills the revs and you can feel it

Think mine does the same actually. Launch control is hard for the clutches but then again the clutch plates are made to slip a little (a lot more during launch control but this is intentionally if you ask me). I wouldn't worry but will gladly make a launch later today to test it :D It might have something to do with the 7-speed DQ381 gearbox.

Reactions: OliS3
Think mine does the same actually. Launch control is hard for the clutches but then again the clutch plates are made to slip a little (a lot more during launch control but this is intentionally if you ask me). I wouldn't worry but will gladly make a launch later today to test it :D It might have something to do with the 7-speed DQ381 gearbox.
That's good to know. I tired again this morning and it was more like expected. Had that feeling like my old s3 where it grabs off the line and then slips for a bit before fully engaging the clutch