S3 Exhaust Valves

itsPaz_

Reaction score
So I followed the method of putting the car in Sport/Dynamic and then turning the car off. I unplugged the exhaust valves and then went for a drive. I feel like there is absolutely no difference in sound at all.. to the point where I think I may have even closed the valves rather than permanently kept them open?

I parked the car and put it in economy, then went out to the pipes and there is hot air coming from all 4 pipes that's for sure. Does that mean I've successfully opened them?

Also when I drop the car into Sport from standard Drive, I can hear the noise of the exhaust change as if the valves have just opened however surely thats impossible as the cable's are disconnected?!

So I followed the method of putting the car in Sport/Dynamic and then turning the car off. I unplugged the exhaust valves and then went for a drive. I feel like there is absolutely no difference in sound at all.. to the point where I think I may have even closed the valves rather than permanently kept them open?

I parked the car and put it in economy, then went out to the pipes and there is hot air coming from all 4 pipes that's for sure. Does that mean I've successfully opened them?

Also when I drop the car into Sport from standard Drive, I can hear the noise of the exhaust change as if the valves have just opened however surely thats impossible as the cable's are disconnected?!
the changed exhaust note from when you change into sport box from dynamic mode is just the higher idle from sport.

the changed exhaust note from when you change into sport box from dynamic mode is just the higher idle from sport.
Ahh okay so that's normal then. Just pretty bummed at the lack of any extra sound

Ahh okay so that's normal then. Just pretty bummed at the lack of any extra sound
aye i dont know anything about the valves so you'd be best waiting for a reply off someone who is clued up on that job.

If you can feel hot air from all four exhausts then they defo open successfully. It doesn't make the car any louder, it just makes it nosier from a lower rpm and you can hear the shifts at a lower rpm.

Reactions: itsPaz_
Get a resonator delete if you want extra noise. It sounds so much better with one!

As Timi says the difference is the noise at the lower rpm. But I found it very noticeable personally.

Tbh though I have found it at times confusing to feel from the air if they are open or not. Especially if not that hot.

If you can feel hot air from all four exhausts then they defo open successfully. It doesn't make the car any louder, it just makes it nosier from a lower rpm and you can hear the shifts at a lower rpm.
Perfect thanks man!

I originally thought they opened around 3k RPM, but yeah it’s seems they’re open at idle.

Found this from AWE:

"We have concluded that valve operation in the S3 is dependent upon two things, throttle angle and load. Valve is always open at idle and closes after engine reaches ~1100 RPM. Valve will only open while vehicle is moving if two conditions are met, throttle angle exceeds ~75% AND engine is above 3500 RPM."

Get a resonator delete if you want extra noise. It sounds so much better with one!

So true! If I could keep the volume and tone that my car has now with just the res delete, after installing my catted DP, Id be smitten.

Well, I checked my PFL S3 Saloon and my exhaust flaps are shut at idle, even in Dynamic, but when starting from cold they do a self test and open and close.
They definitely still work because all tips still soot up after a good run, two more than the other two obviously, and I can hear the exhaust tone change.

Reactions: Fozzer