S3 Engine Temperature

danderton

Reaction score
Hi,

I have just brought an S3 coming from an A3. I have noticed the car takes a long time to reach temperature and drops off very quickly. (Long time: i could go 20-30 mile on the motorway before it shows 80+)

Is this normal or do i have a sensor or signal on the way out?

The car doesn't read any faults.

Cheers

Dan

Thats what i thought. Would the car have any other issues as well as showing the incorrect temp?

Any guides of how to replace it?

Thermostat part number should be:
050 121 113 C
Can't remember if that came with a new O-ring or not, if not the part number for that should be:
038 121 119 B

If its the same issue as mine it was simply a case of replacing the thermostat. Search the forum you'll be able to find a guide. It cost me an afternoon and around £30.

I would if possible, find someone to quickly scan your car on vagcom just incase something else is going on.

Dan

10 quid thermostat and you will be changing again in few months.
Dealer 30 quid and it will last

what difference does it make if you get 1 from ebay or a dealer, dealers are always going to charge more but that doesnt mean it will last more , ebay is decent and always sell good stuff at a fair price, any chance you know any guides i can follow to change it.

Chances are the one in there at the moment was from the factory. Lasted 10 years or so? I'd stick with OE VAG my friend. Get the correct G12+ coolant and deionised water too. It will last another 10 years!

whats the deionised water pal wheres the best place to get that thermostat from cheers

Definately go for OEM and you might find that the CTS is also playing up, both the thermostat and the CTS can be the cause of a cool engine temp reading and I've had both problems with mine in the 3 yrs 70,000 miles I've had her.

Get it from TPS or your local VW parts depo.
The deionised water I believe just stops the water going rusty over time.
Iv always used it as its so cheap from halfords.

Yes matey. 50/50 I'm sure.
I bet you can get the stuff on eBay. Just make sure it's genuine.

hi guys my fans wont kick in as the the temp doesn't go past 60 is this because the coolant sensor needs replacing or does it mean something else.

cheers shaun.

do your fans turn on when put the aircon on?
if the temp rises when sitting idling but drops when you start driving its probably the thermostat.
the parts are pretty reasonably priced from the dealer so thats wherei got mine.

yeah fans work when put ac on so if i change sensor and thermastst should it all work properly, the temp doesn't move off 60 at all cheers

I changed my last weekend, the car is now hitting 90 which is good to see. Expect your dipstick tube to snap, the radiator hose bolts have allen key heads this does help as access is limited. Dont forget to buy some G12/13 as you will lose coolant unless you flush the whole system, which you would it for anyway.

Worth changing the engine tempreture sensor as well, this is a much easier job & the sensor costs less than £10

hi i change my sensor this morning and its fine hits 90 the guy told me its fine the bottom pipe is the main cold water feed which suppose to be cold and fans only kick in when really needs to so just going to see how it goes before i change the stat.

cheers

I bought a t/stat from my local parts store (not OEM) and it lasted about 2 weeks.. Only cost £5.00 inc VAT, but it was CRAP!

I strongly suggest getting one from Audi Parts Store... They should last a bit more that 2 weeks, and you'll feel like a millionaire walking into Audi to buy parts. (even though the part should cost you no more than £20).. :sly:

I have replaced mine around 1000 miles ago with a gen part from TPS. Now I have started to get the same symptoms as before. Irregular temp information.

When I replaced it after a short drive it would hit bang on 90 so I'm pretty sure this is the issue - but surely it shouldn't have gone again within a couple of months?

Have I been unlucky or could something else cause it?

could it be the tempreture sensor & not the thermostat ? or vice versa you havent really said what you replaced

Sorry the thermostat with a new O ring. It worked perfectly till I travelled away for the weekend. 600 odd moterway miles.

Driving it this afternoon i noticed it was behaving very irratic. It got to temperature as expected. But the longer I drove (I.e the warmer the car got) the temperature went down to eventually 60c

It's like it was working in inverse. Is this behaviour signs of the temperature sensor gone again or something else?

I was replaced with a gen stat about 1000 miles ago and which seemed to have fixed it. No error codes either.

Driving it this afternoon i noticed it was behaving very irratic. It got to temperature as expected. But the longer I drove (I.e the warmer the car got) the temperature went down to eventually 60c

It's like it was working in inverse. Is this behaviour signs of the temperature sensor gone again or something else?

I was replaced with a gen stat about 1000 miles ago and which seemed to have fixed it. No error codes either.

Sorry to bump this - just wanna check it's the same thing before splashing out again.

Cheers ahead