Facelift S3 engine fan running after ignition turned off

Daveotto

Staff member
Reaction score
As per the title have noticed over last couple of weeks more often than not that the engine fan stays on for 30 seconds or so when the ignition is turned off. Car is 2 months old, 2000 miles, engine temp is fine (not greater than 105C)

Never noticed this on the PFL S3 SB I had for 18 months

Anyone else experiencing this?

Yup, pretty much the same as you, although mine was new in November.
Goes off by the time shut the gate and walk back to the house.

Reactions: Daveotto
Mine does it, my A4 did it, my A6 did it...

I'd say it's normal depending on the engine and ambient temp.

Thinking back my 2003 Leon Cupra R did it too.

Reactions: Audi Bairn and Daveotto
My old A3 3.2 used to do it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My S3 FL does it, seems to do it a bit more than the pre-FL S3 (though I've never timed either, so...!) The fan does seem quite noisy. I don't recall the fan on my V8 S5, bought new in '08, being as active or noisy.

Thanks guys, not just me then and as @oaf mentions it is a bit more frequent than the PFL version

Must be the extra strain on the engine from the additional 10 BHP :)

Reactions: Audi Bairn
It's normal for most cars to do this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also mine. Also in full winter.

I asked my dealer about this as I was surprised by it as well (so diesels do it as well). He told me it's one of the following things:

* DPF regen interrupted and needs cooling down - Diesels only obviously
* AC cooling down / cleaning itself
* Water and oil need cooling down to cool down the turbo faster

Lift the bonnet and read the sticker near the radiator.
Interestingly my 3yr old S3 (22k miles) has never had its fan come on and I live near the Med! Doesn't do any stop start travelling mind.

Pretty much all cars do this as a safety feature. The car actually stays alive for about 30 minutes after you turn the ignition off whilst the car reads everything to make sure it shuts down properly. Same as turning off a plan, it takes time.

It's more apparent in newer cars and certainly diesels

Lift the bonnet and read the sticker near the radiator.

Have lifted the bonnet a few times and probably cleaned the sticker a few times but would never dream of reading it :)

What does it say?

Reactions: MattSedg and Audi Bairn
Have lifted the bonnet a few times and probably cleaned the sticker a few times but would never dream of reading it :)

What does it say?

Caution! Fingers about to get chopped if you put them here!

Well, something along those lines I'd imagine. :D

Reactions: Tom.H and Daveotto
Definitely.

Particularly when a journey ends with urban driving; 20mph around the houses. Less so when stopping after National-speed-limit cruise.

Seems to be peculiar to the S3's engine. I've never experienced it on differently-engined MQB cars...

Can't comment on whether the PFL was different, but the FL does have significantly lower CO2 ratings. I realise this is mostly the tall 7th gear, but maybe the cooling behaves differently?

Feels like they've pulled out all the stops to get the CO2 down on the S3, so I'd hypothesise that any odd engine behaviour might be rooted in that. Witness the abysmally aggressive start-stop that kills the power steering on a slow approach to roundabouts... Definitely an S3-specific trait.

Feels like they've pulled out all the stops to get the CO2 down on the S3, so I'd hypothesise that any odd engine behaviour might be rooted in that. Witness the abysmally aggressive start-stop that kills the power steering on a slow approach to roundabouts... Definitely an S3-specific trait.

2017 116hp 1.6 TDI does the same so it's not S3-specific trait. :) Probably other engines do it as well. I hate the aggressivity of start-stop on 2017 models (and the fact that power steering dies).

2017 116hp 1.6 TDI does the same so it's not S3-specific trait. :) Probably other engines do it as well. I hate the aggressivity of start-stop on 2017 models (and the fact that power steering dies).

My Dad's does on his A4 Allroad, 2.0TDI but it seems to happen when it's doing a regen only... which is far too frequent :blink:

Yeah, never noticed it on PFL S3, FL does it most journeys. As for stop/start steering, thats so annoying. Normally in sport mode so doesn't engage but when i drive the wifes COD Leon it gets me.

Si :)

I've had it happen at least 8-10 times in 3400 miles, it is horrible.

Wow you are lucky! My Dad's Allroad near lives on the motorway, it's a 70 mile round trip for him to work so should always be fine. But as soon as he drives local, it can regen a couple of times a week, not very good :sadlike: Audi said it's normal, not that often it isn't.

Wow you are lucky! My Dad's Allroad near lives on the motorway, it's a 70 mile round trip for him to work so should always be fine. But as soon as he drives local, it can regen a couple of times a week, not very good :sadlike: Audi said it's normal, not that often it isn't.

It is :)

A few times a week is too frequent when the car lives on the motorway. Supposedly the DPF's only have a certain number of regens in them before they pack in.

We had to have one DPF cut out a couple of years back after 80k on the clock, had been forced to regen too many times.

As for stop/start steering, thats so annoying. Normally in sport mode so doesn't engage but when i drive the wifes COD Leon it gets me.

That's weird, because our Golf ACT (COD) doesn't cut the engine prematurely at all. Only cuts the engine once you're properly stopped. It's a manual, if that makes any difference...

Yeah, happens before you've reached a complete stop. Wife had only been driving for about 9 months before we got the Leon and it gave her a few scares. I can't get used to it at all, mind you i still forget to put her handbrake on :) just as well its an auto so won't go anywhere.

Increased after cooling fan frequency is due to cost reduction basically. They make the radiator thinner (which also reduces coolant) but in order to stop percolation the fan runs more. Probably why as mentioned didn't happen much on pfl but does on fl's

On the dpf regen topic, I experience it maybe once every 3-4 weeks, but is so loud, I've had the neighbours come round at 10pm and ask "are you aware there's something wrong with your car?"
Quite embarrassing really, when you then tell them no, it's supposed to do that.
I always did decent trips in it (up until recently but now moving to petrol) and it still happened, hate hate hate the damn thing. Even turning up to work, I tend to be one of the early ones in the office, the amount of colleagues I've had come in 20-30 minutes after and ask me why the car is doing that!!! Surprising how so many people seem to be unaware of the feature.

Dragging up an old thread but on the flip side is it normal that I have never heard the fan on while the engine is off? Even when driving like I stole it and pull straight into the drive...
PFL S3