S3 Drone under braking

gforrow

Few months back I got all 4 tyres changed on my 2019 S3. Now that I have finally got the wheels properly balanced, I am experiencing a drone under braking.

The change in tyres may be a coincidence, but once the brakes get up to temperature, the drone starts. I’ve had the wheels off and checked the brakes, they’ve got plenty left in them, so I’m unsure. Any clues.

It’s my first Quattro, could it be something to do with the drivetrain? Something maybe in the regeneration under braking. I’ve got 6 months of standard warranty left, so have time to get it resolved.

I did think it was low brakes to start with, but as above, they all checked out ok? Anyone else experienced anything similar?

S32B

Few months back I got all 4 tyres changed on my 2019 S3. Now that I have finally got the wheels properly balanced, I am experiencing a drone under braking.

The change in tyres may be a coincidence, but once the brakes get up to temperature, the drone starts. I’ve had the wheels off and checked the brakes, they’ve got plenty left in them, so I’m unsure. Any clues.

It’s my first Quattro, could it be something to do with the drivetrain? Something maybe in the regeneration under braking. I’ve got 6 months of standard warranty left, so have time to get it resolved.

I did think it was low brakes to start with, but as above, they all checked out ok? Anyone else experienced anything similar?
Two things spring to mind, warped brake disc or wheel bearing...but on a 19 plate!!! Unless it's high miles?!?

Two things spring to mind, warped brake disc or wheel bearing...but on a 19 plate!!! Unless it's high miles?!?
would be accompanied by a steering wheel wobble or does it come on cornering too?

what is the mileage, could it be the rear diff? iv heard of them droning before when on the way out. is it not still under warranty?

The Cardinal

For the love of cars
If at low speeds, then a broken reluctor ring is a possibility.

gforrow

Thanks for the replies.

it’s done 15,000 miles, so not a massive number.

Noted yesterday that it only does it whilst braking. If I use the gearbox, in Sport, it changes down enough to slow the car sometimes, there is no drone.

No judder. Wheel bearing is a possibility, increased weight on the front axle under braking, maybe. Seems to get worse as the brakes get hotter. I don’t drive on the ABS, so shouldn’t have stressed the brakes that much, but do live in Milton Keynes, so lots of roundabouts.

Coincidence it started at tyre change time you think?

Still under warranty, so sounds like a trip to the dealer then, see if they’ll come out in the car with me, to hear it, and advise.

Last edited:

S32B

Still under warranty, so sounds like a trip to the dealer then, see if they’ll come out in the car with me, to hear it, and advise.
^^^THIS^^^ :) Good luck.