S3 Drive Select Mode and Start-Stop

VWNCC

Reaction score
How does S3 Drive Select Mode affect the start-stop feature?

When set to Dynamic, does the car automatically disable the start-stop feature?

Also, if you shut off the car in Dynamic, I understand that when you restart the car, the transmission will be put back to D even though you are still in Dynamic mode, will the start-stop feature still be disabled?

Thanks in advance.

AFIAK Start Stop is enabled in all modes. It is definitely enabled in Dynamic mode as thats what I use and it is always kicking in.

I don't understand your last question...

How does S3 Drive Select Mode affect the start-stop feature?

When set to Dynamic, does the car automatically disable the start-stop feature?

Also, if you shut off the car in Dynamic, I understand that when you restart the car, the transmission will be put back to D even though you are still in Dynamic mode, will the start-stop feature still be disabled?

Thanks in advance.
I assume the Start/Stop mode is the same on all A3s. It works in all modes and resets to ON whenever the ignition is turned on. The only way to disable it is using the dashboard switch each time you turn the ignition on or through a change using VCDS, which I have done to mine.

Reactions: Rob2k68

I think you might be confusing dynamic with sport. Dynamic is the driving mode, the car will always be in dynamic if that's what you have selected.

Tapping the gear leaver down (when not in manual mode) toggles between sport and your selected mode (dynamic, comfort, economy, etc...). Sport mode does different things depending on the model and options of the car, at the most basic level it just keeps the revs higher (maybe also makes the steering heavier?). If you switch off the car it will start with the last driving mode selected (not sport).

With regards to start-stop, I'm 99% sure that it's disabled when sport mode is selected (but I could be wrong). In any other mode, it's enabled unless you use the dash button to disable it.

There are other specific situations that will prevent start-stop triggering (in any mode), like if the engine is not up to temperature.

I keep my car in Dynamic mode,
When I stop, the stop/start stops the engine but 15 seconds later the car starts again unless I put it in P and put the hand brake on.

I keep my car in Dynamic mode,
When I stop, the stop/start stops the engine but 15 seconds later the car starts again unless I put it in P and put the hand brake on.

It depends on conditions. My stop/start has stopped for minutes before but sometimes only lasts about 15 seconds. It depends on engine temp/battery level/cabin temp/voodoo

Reactions: Audi Bairn, Rob2k68, Goodfella74 and 2 others
Personally, I can't stand start-stop. It's fine on a manual because as soon as you put your foot on the clutch to get into gear, it starts the engine. But in an auto, it's not fast enough to start the engine between moving my foot off the brake an onto the accelerator to get going.

Reactions: allanmb, Rob2k68 and pburv
Personally, I can't stand start-stop. It's fine on a manual because as soon as you put your foot on the clutch to get into gear, it starts the engine. But in an auto, it's not fast enough to start the engine between moving my foot off the brake an onto the accelerator to get going.
I find it the same..The only way around it is as stated above press the dash button(which I do) or disable it via vcds..:friends:

As far as I know and having my car 18 months now D/S and S/S are completely independent of one another - the only caveat being that if you disable S/S by pressing the button on the dash and then cycle through the D/S modes from Individual to Dynamic for example, as soon as you toggle through Efficiency mode then that will switch S/S back on. This is highly irritating.

Reactions: pburv
As far as I know and having my car 18 months now D/S and S/S are completely independent of one another - the only caveat being that if you disable S/S by pressing the button on the dash and then cycle through the D/S modes from Individual to Dynamic for example, as soon as you toggle through Efficiency mode then that will switch S/S back on. This is highly irritating.
Can Efficiency mode be cancelled via vcds?

Can Efficiency mode be cancelled via vcds?

I don't think so mate - would be a good call though - I'd hide them all apart from Dynamic and Individual.

Reactions: pburv