S3 drinking oil ?

miniturhero

Reaction score
My s3 had a full service around a month ago and my check oil light came on so I checked it and its right at the very bottom of the dipstick, it only just touches the bottom of the dipstick about 2 mm is that normal for an s3 to drink oil ? And as far as I know I have no leaks.

I was sort of hoping so as got worried that rather sonthing was wrong or they forgot to change my oil. Would it really drink that much in a month tho ? This is my forst propper turbo car so I am a bit new to owning one

Mine holds about 4.5 ltr of oil and over the course of the 6 months between changes i just about use the other half ltr left in the tub as top ups.I do about 13000 a year so ... sounds alot to have used in that space of time

I think I might have to ask the mechanic if they actually changed it or if they didnt bother

i had the exact same thing happen turned out a new sump plug sorted everything

How many miles have you done in that time?

If you've done 100miles then clearly theres a big issue. If you've done 3000, then less so.

Most manufacturers will say 1L per 1000miles is the acceptable limit, though in reality an engine has to be pretty bad to get to that level of consumption.

I think I have done around 1500 if that so im a bit worried but could be down to whoever serviced my car didnt bother changing the oil. If so I think I will be having words with the mechanic

what color is the oil?

Golden? Brown? Coal Black?

Pull the dipstick and wipe it onto a piece of white kitchen roll and see.

1500mile old oil should still be golden/brown. If its black i'd have my doubts it was changed.

Most manufacturers will say 1L per 1000miles is the acceptable limit, though in reality an engine has to be pretty bad to get to that level of consumption.

I do 24,000+ miles a year and if I was getting through 24 litres of oil I wouldn't be accepting that from any manufacturer. Unless of course I had an RX8 ;)

My car was burning roughly 1 litre per 1000 miles and the amount of blue smoke pulling away was embarresing so god knows why they class it as acceptable. Its since had the head refurbed. Stem oil seals and guide were my culprit.

what color is the oil?

Golden? Brown? Coal Black?

Pull the dipstick and wipe it onto a piece of white kitchen roll and see.

1500mile old oil should still be golden/brown. If its black i'd have my doubts it was changed.

would that not depend on how the car has been driven ?would higher oil temps would blacken oil sooner ??

My car was burning roughly 1 litre per 1000 miles and the amount of blue smoke pulling away was embarresing so god knows why they class it as acceptable. Its since had the head refurbed. Stem oil seals and guide were my culprit.

How long was the car out of action? I fear mine needs the same work...

Ok I have purchased a 1ltr of castral edge and put it in yesterday. My test commences , by my rough calculations if my car had a full service and it used 4.5ltrs in about a month which Is ridiculous! ! My 1ltr will last around 2 weeks max and if not that means that mechanic must of put hardly any oil in my car and that is probably what happend as the family friend which owns the garage was on holiday at the time of the service and the younger mechanic's were left to run the place which I wasn't too happy about but hayho I will see if I was right in about 2 weeks or so.

3 weeks and counting hut im having rods fitted and its a favor so hes doing it in between other work. Not a fair test. Daz