S3 downpipe

IanF S3

Reaction score
Hi guys, I am after a full stainless exhaust system for my S3 including downpipe.
Why is it though that the downpipes are so expensive? I can't find anything for less than £300, yet for an 8L S3 stainless downpipe you can pick them up new from £100.
I had a focus ST before this and again no where near as costly.
If I have to pay it I have to pay it I just don't see why it's so much, is it because they arnt as mad produced or am I just looking in the wrong place?

Hi mate,

Please could you make sure you dont start a new thread before checking if there are no simillar threads already started. I can point at least 2 that could explain your concerns. Remember that S3 is a premium hot hatch and everything that is designed for it will be more expensive unfortualtely. Hope you like your new car especially if you have had it remapped.

Sorry, i did have a brief search.
I appreciate its a premium hot hatch, buts its still only a piece of stainless steel. Just the way of the world i guess.
It was booked in for a remap but its now going to go stage 2 straight away save getting it remapped again in the near future, should be done within the next 2 weeks depending on parts, cant wait!

Sorry, i did have a brief search.
I appreciate its a premium hot hatch, buts its still only a piece of stainless steel. Just the way of the world i guess.
It was booked in for a remap but its now going to go stage 2 straight away save getting it remapped again in the near future, should be done within the next 2 weeks depending on parts, cant wait!

I am stage 2 atm and can tell you that it scares me sometimes and I've come from ST too. In standard form S3 will be very tame and not that fast. Enjoy the forum:yum:

In terms of finding a right downpipe try to search around maybe someone is selling one. There is other forums too VAGOC is very good and people sell a lot of stuff.

Sorry, i did have a brief search.I appreciate its a premium hot hatch, buts its still only a piece of stainless steel. Just the way of the world i guess.It was booked in for a remap but its now going to go stage 2 straight away save getting it remapped again in the near future, should be done within the next 2 weeks depending on parts, cant wait!
It's always possible to buy cheap parts,but also to regret that in the long run,and I think the price you've quoted is about right.
Stg2 or 2+ are about the best value for money power upgrades you can get for the S3 8P,and will make the car much quicker and more responsive,but don't forget the suspension and possibly brakes,as the car is a bit on the wobbly side without the suspension being upgraded,and there's no point upping the power,if the benefits are undone elsewhere.

I had this same thought with my 2.0T, thought it was ridiculous price for a stainless pipe lol
a friend of mine pointed me towards a powerflow dealer, who make up custom exhausts, was £110 including VAT for a 3" downpipe and decat.
they have a website that shows you dealer locations, just type 'powerflow exhausts' and their website comes up if your interested.

there are a lot of mixed reviews for powerflow systems but my mates seems great, and for that price you get a life time guarantee, can't go wrong with that!

Jord

I had this same thought with my 2.0T, thought it was ridiculous price for a stainless pipe lol
a friend of mine pointed me towards a powerflow dealer, who make up custom exhausts, was £110 including VAT for a 3" downpipe and decat.
they have a website that shows you dealer locations, just type 'powerflow exhausts' and their website comes up if your interested.

there are a lot of mixed reviews for powerflow systems but my mates seems great, and for that price you get a life time guarantee, can't go wrong with that!

Jord

Thanks for the idea, I rang my local dealer and he quoted me £450 for 3" turbo back system which seems a very good price, I would like to see some reviews on the quality of his work though as it seems with powerflow every branch is different obviously dependent on who makes it so I will have a search on the net.
As others have said I don't want the quality to suffer due to cost but I just thought I would ask the question as to why they cost so much.
i think a decent brand of downpipe and then powerflow from there seems like a possibility as from what I'm told its the downpipes and how they attach to the chassis which could be a concern if I got someone to make one.