S3 door moulding... door blades

simch

Reaction score
I ordered a new lower door moulding for the drivers door of my S3 as it was clipped in a car park few weeks back, and just a bit scuffed on the top edge...

First, WTF, £155.....!

Second, when i opened the box, it is not grey plastic like the originals, it is in light grey primer.

Bodyshop who are fitting it, said, oh, maybe they are painted, but I am sure they are just grey plastic like the bumper inserts. I have not been back to the supplier, (audi garage) but as far as I a aware NO s3s had painted door mouldings as standard, ie bodycolour.

Anyone else bought one and had the same problem. Is the grey finish paint, if so, anyone know the paint code?

Should be around £70 from Audi and it's primer coated from the factory, I fitted mine straight on, and it isn't too far off the original colour so left it.

Rear part original, door part new.

134-3405_IMG.jpg

Mine is a 53 plate and the originals are loads darker grey than the primer that the moulding was in. Checked invoice and it was over £115+ VAT, I got 15% off!

I got one the same, primer coated & nowhere near the original colour...

Tried asking them if they had a pain code for them & noone can help...

Anyone out there know? Or I might have the whole lot colour coded to match the car...

i brought the whole lot both fronts and both rears that hurt my pocket!!!
they all come primered i guess there is a paint code for them but the bodyshop should be able to use a colour chart to get the colour or near as damn it,
i had all mine and the front bumper insert and rear bumper insert pannels painted in a gloss grey effect similar colour to std but with the laqured finish looks so much better

I've just had my originals painted, I picked a colour off the bodyshop colour scheme. It was from the 'plastics' section and the colour I picked matched perfectly (not that it mattered because I was spraying them all). It was covered with matt laquer so it didn't look like shiney paint.
The bodyshop should be able to let you pick a colour that matches, and then they can make up the right amount from their scheme (like 50ml or so) and it shouldn't cost too much.

Or, even better, respray all of the side strips, or even better the front and rear too. The side stips come off very easily, the rear side strips just slides off whilst the door is open!
The front and rear insert should come off without removing the bumpers, but I did this with bumpers off so can't be sure.

Mine is a 53 plate and the originals are loads darker grey than the primer that the moulding was in. Checked invoice and it was over £115+ VAT, I got 15% off!

How odd, I'm sure mine is the correct colour, it doesn't feel like primer, and I'm pretty sure mine was under 70 quid, maybe the facelift is different slightly, on the fitting front?

Anyone out there know? Or I might have the whole lot colour coded to match the car...

Audi reckon it is paint code 1RR Platinum Grey.

Finally got mine painted & fitted early December.

A month on & already the front is starting to chip. Kinda tells me that they are originally grey plastic & not primed. I figure there might be 2 different types available although I've never seen another S3 with painted mouldings...

Anyone else?

Not really a helpful comment for the above question, but these are defo dark plastic and not painted on mine as well!

I need to to order a drivers side one still :sob:

"Bump"

Did anyone get to the bottom of the paint colour for the door trims, looks like i have to order one from a stealer for OSF Door ouch here we go..

Funny this should come up again, the passenger side one has started to come apart & will need replacing soon!

Well,i need a drivers and passenger door moulding,and they are now £204 plus vat!!!!!!!!!!!Is there anywhere else apart from audi to get them from?

​Paul, have you looked in the classifieds section for cars breaking for parts ? :) x

Yeah,cheers.Have only found one,but they are painted black

Well,i need a drivers and passenger door moulding,and they are now £204 plus vat!!!!!!!!!!!Is there anywhere else apart from audi to get them from?

Paul, just repair them yourself mate, my new trick repairing my passenger one was to remove the end screw and find a longer screw with smaller thread, stick a washer on it and screw right through the bolt hole into the plastic, pulling it against the door. Add a blob of superglue onto the end of the screw to make sure it's going nowhere!

Reactions: CMcKenzie
Looks like this is how I'll be fixing my drivers door soon.
Cheers jojo!
-Callum.

I'll have to see how I get on with mine, not sure what the screws are like, either way it needs doing before it gets any worse.
Cheers again.
-Callum.

Thanks for the replies,may wrap them then,as they aren't loose.Its going in for paint next month,and has a rust bubble of the bottom of the doors,which has stained the door mouldings

but when I tried to remove my blade, one of the screws just disintegrate, so I went with my own fix.

Just the 1? You was lucky fella....all of mine were completely dead and siezed :(

Just the drivers side door ended up taking well over 2 hours after I had to drill the old ones out and find suitable replacement screws and washers.

Typical 10-15 minute job took 2-3 hours with the unplanned modifying! lol

Typical 10-15 minute job took 2-3 hours with the unplanned modifying! lol

This sounds familiar!!! Mine were the same and took me the best part of two hours to fix too!! I got a painter to spray all of mine in a dark matt grey colour. They look great.

I have got myself a spare set and plasti dipped them. Just waiting for the chance to fit them now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

I've just spent the good part of the last 2 hours getting both door blades off mine and I had to destroy all of the screws, bolts and white nylon inserts to remove the blades. Pain in the ****... Also getting the remnants of screws out of the door for the 2 middle screws was like a game of Operation!

Now that I've gone and completely destroyed the white nylon bits (not to mention the bolts that were part of these bits as well) I'm guessing that my only option is to get some new ones. Doh!

Just dug out this thread for anyone else who searches for this, the colour code should be L7DL grey.

i brought the whole lot both fronts and both rears that hurt my pocket!!!
they all come primered i guess there is a paint code for them but the bodyshop should be able to use a colour chart to get the colour or near as damn it,
i had all mine and the front bumper insert and rear bumper insert pannels painted in a gloss grey effect similar colour to std but with the laqured finish looks so much better

Great unless your car is grey

Also another note to all, I'd suggest using stainless steel or titanium screws and plenty of grease everywhere.

I've a seized screw and will be tackling it soon.

Thinking of wrapping them in a Matt grey vinyl.

I think a little earner would be rejuvenating these diffusers, its the bolt seating that rots so maybe blast them and epoxy resin nuts via a jig for location

I bought brand new ones about 2 years ago, were about £220 each IIRC.

Best practice is to remove them twice a year and clean behind them, clean and grease all the screw threads etc.

I'm looking for some S3 door blades. I have a 2010 three door A3. Are the pre facelift blades any different to the post facelift? I've found some 2007 second hand blades, but have been told I need to find facelift ones?

I'm looking for some S3 door blades. I have a 2010 three door A3. Are the pre facelift blades any different to the post facelift? I've found some 2007 second hand blades, but have been told I need to find facelift ones?
You should ask in the 8P section... this is the 8L for A3/S3's to 2003

<tuffty/>