s3 door latches

gazzas3

Reaction score
hello all, every time i shut my passenger door it never shuts completely, it closes on the first latch only, i've messed around with the door catch and the adjusted it as much as i can and it's still no good and just to rub salt in the wound the drivers door is starting to do the same thing now. Is there an easy fix for this or am i about to get done by Audi for 2 new door catches?

TIA

Last edited by a moderator:
Do all the gaps and lines line up against the adjacent panels? Doors may have dropped slightly on the hinges and causing it to catch and not shut properly maybe?

yeah the gaps on the passenger side are off slightly, i have tried messing with the door to get the gaps right but there's not much room for movement on the hinges, maybe the pins need replacing? i'll have another go at them tomorrow and report back.

my drivers door has started doing this.
its all aligned properly from looking at it.
i've fiddled with the mechanism today spraying lube into it. seems a tad better.
i would like a permanent fix though

I have an intermittent problem with my d/s door which is gettingworse. Cleaned up micro-switch and lubed etc but no joy. Only way I can get itto cancel is by driving along and opening then slamming it shut, but having todo this more and more as time goes on. Most annoying at the best of times and I’msure that it has caused many issues with my alarm.
I have also been told my passenger door is out of alignmentbut no major issues over that side.
Reading the many threads on here it seems that a whole unitwill be required when it finally gives up the ghost L
Good luck getting yours sorted out.

Doors may have dropped slightly on the hinges and causing it to catch and not shut properly maybe?

This is what was wrong with mine - got a new hinge that was no more than £20 IIRC and now it shuts perfectly :)

This happend to me on my s3! (drivers door). I would have to keep opening and shutting the door until it finally closed completely! Then it would just open again When I was driving!(back to first latch) got a new door catch in the end cost £50 and has been fine ever since.

This is what was wrong with mine - got a new hinge that was no more than £20 IIRC and now it shuts perfectly :)

Hi mate,

Just for information purposes and in the aid of helping other members, which hinge did you replace? Was it the top or bottom hinge?

Shaun.

Hi mate,

Just for information purposes and in the aid of helping other members, which hinge did you replace? Was it the top or bottom hinge?

Shaun.

Hi Shaun,

It was the top hinge that was replaced mate....

I was able to tell as when the door was open- if I lifted it up slightly there was movement from the top hinge and I could clearly see that the hinge was busted. Unlike the passenger door that was solid when I tried the same when open and it also closed with an easy push.

I didn't replace or fit it myself so can't say how easy it is but I imagine it would also need to be sprayed (my car had a full front end and drivers side respray when the work was done so was all factored in the price once I picked my car up)

Hope this helps
Chris

Hi,

My drivers door is not shutting very well. It will close with a good slam and hold from the outside.

I have tried adjusting the striker “in” and “out” but it didn't help. The door hinges don't appear to have any play in them.

Soaking the latch with WD40 appeared to help for a very short while.

What should I try next?

Did you fix your @superkarl ?

Thanks.

Hi,

My drivers door is not shutting very well. It will close with a good slam and hold from the outside.

I have tried adjusting the striker “in” and “out” but it didn't help. The door hinges don't appear to have any play in them.

Soaking the latch with WD40 appeared to help for a very short while.

What should I try next?

Did you fix your @superkarl ?

Thanks.

Sorry I can't help, I never fixed mine. I was told to get a new door mechanism

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I clear my driver lock with throttle body and carb cleaner spray once a month (just don't be too close as it sprays back into your eyes and burns) and close my door with my bum when on the outside and pull it in when sitting in the driver seat.

sometimes over many bumps the door opens onto the first latch.

these are for sale though

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUDI-A3-A...-MECHANISM-8N1837015B-BRAND-NEW-/272781052557

That ebay door latch you linked isnt the right one and will not fit on S3 8L

I bought it and had to return

Am searching possible alternatives, nothing yet.