S3 - Dodgy Rear Suspension Noises...

marcgti6

Reaction score
Hey all,

I've got a 16 plate S3 that's just had its first birthday and has done 8k miles.

It's developed a lovely creaking noise from the rear drivers side whenever the road surface changes or I drive over a bump of any size. Starting to do my head in!

Has anyone else had this with their S3?

It seems to be getting progressively worse and is particularly bad when I first get in the car.

Cheers

Un clip the rear bench and slam it back in place,worked for me

Reactions: Mark_86
Top tip!

I'll give that a try. At first I thought it was a bit of lose trim in the boot - maybe the panel where the tool kit is but I've secured everything I can see.

If slamming the bench doesn't do the trick then it'll be a trip to the dealers.

Cheers

Well that didn't cure it - looks like it's a trip to the dealers :(

Yeah I think it could be the rear top mounts to be honest. Didn't know the 8V was known for them to creak though...

Yeah I think it could be the rear top mounts to be honest. Didn't know the 8V was known for them to creak though...

They are common for knocking, it's got to be worth investigating as the triggers causing your problem are common with the fault.

Most MQB chassis based cars are known for creaking, squeaking and knocking suspension. A lot of it is mentioned on the Superb 3 and Octavias...

I've had creaking/squeaking/popping rear anti roll bar bushings before on a VW. Worth asking the stealer to grease them for you if your not a keen DIYer.

Typically, it's been better so far today. I still think it's worth mentioning to my dealers when I get chance to call over.

The more I hear it, the more I think its top mount/ARB related.

Cheers

Been raised a few times on here I think quite a few guys have had the issue including myself. I had the top mounts and rear shocks replaced under warrenty but unfortunately it didn't resolved the issue. It was more of a knocking thud for me but now it has graduated to sqweeky as well. Definitely worth saying to the dealer, I know a few guys have had something done and apparently resolved the issue.

Been raised a few times on here I think quite a few guys have had the issue including myself. I had the top mounts and rear shocks replaced under warrenty but unfortunately it didn't resolved the issue. It was more of a knocking thud for me but now it has graduated to sqweeky as well. Definitely worth saying to the dealer, I know a few guys have had something done and apparently resolved the issue.

I've seen someone online changed to aftermarket shocks and it replaced it. He believed that it's not the top mount but the shock itself (VAG mechanic)

Yeh I've heard the only real way to solve it is going down the route of coilovers which resolves the knocking and bouncy suspension. Been quite a few discussions on here replacing shocks, springs, top mounts all with different outcomes and views.

Mostly likely will be coilover route for me as nothing else has resolved it. I had a very in depth technical response from Glasgow Audi saying "yeh the saloon is a noisy car" :blink:

Reactions: AudiNutta
Yeh I've heard the only real way to solve it is going down the route of coilovers which resolves the knocking and bouncy suspension. Been quite a few discussions on here replacing shocks, springs, top mounts all with different outcomes and views.

Mostly likely will be coilover route for me as nothing else has resolved it. I had a very in depth technical response from Glasgow Audi saying "yeh the saloon is a noisy car" :blink:

Wow what a diagnosis haha, very technical. Tell them did it state on the spec sheet it comes with loud clunking to enhance the car? What a sales ploy that it.

I found this old thread and wondered if anyone has made any progress on the suspension thudding noise.

I complained about this and Audi said it was normal, which I thought WTF!

But I’ve now gone a step backwards. I installed some lowering springs and the noise is now more frequent and louder. :(
The thuds are more noticeable on the back and I feel the reason for this is that I now have less isolation between spring top and chassis. The rear MSS springs have a thin rubber washer that replaces the much thicker OEM one so there is less insulation to the chassis, hence more shock / noise being transmitted through chassis.

Keen to find some sort of solution before it drives me up the wall.