S3 dirty exhaust tips solution!

Just used this very pleased with the results. Not much effort to use far less buffing than Autosol. Tips were cleaned with a washmitt prior to application .....

q9JK0JvH

JAvLbGRc

ironOgg3
I ordered some at the start of the week can't go wrong with the gtechniq kit

Reactions: Rob2k68
autosol is wicked stuff ive used it for years also i came across mothers - aluminium and chrome polish i use that it takes it stragith off it stys in the boot for quick clean. autosol is easily bought from halfords and use a microfiber cloth

Got on the floor last night and had a good look at the exhausts etc. I would describe it as a black plastic box that sits on top of the inner exhaust pipe. If you get on the floor it makes perfect sense in terms of what to disconnect. The cable comes out of the top of the box.

Once disconnected, I'm planning to tape the end off with electrical tape and the plug it back in to stop **** getting in it etc which I think a few other people have done.

i lik the sound of this i always removed flaps on r32s etc makes a difference and helps the exhaust flow and improved fuel consumption marginally. i will be getting under my slag this weeknd!!!! :) thanks lads

Reactions: Pulp84
The only thing that helped was autosol! Would recommend does the job and easy to use.

I find keeping on top of the build up of crud works best. At the first signs, a squirt of WD40 will shift it. If it's started to build up, alloy wheel cleaner or citrus pre-cleaner works. If it's taking hold, then autosol is the only thing that works for me.

I used autosol and it didn't work so I have mine ceramic coated then I painted them Matt black. Problem solved ha.

Reactions: pburv and Rob2k68
I used autosol and it didn't work so I have mine ceramic coated then I painted them Matt black. Problem solved ha.
How are you finding the coating..Any cracks etc?
Oh how much to get them done..?...:friends:

Reactions: Rob2k68
They seem sound mate but I don't use the car every hs,

Sorry @pburv it was £40. But then I used black paint on top.

Reactions: pburv
Black tips is one way forward

Reactions: pburv, MikeParkin, Simon L and 1 other person
Not so much of clean tips...but how much? Found it in my car stuff from years back... :)

Still works as well :D

IMG 3500
IMG 3501

Reactions: pburv, Simon L, Rob2k68 and 1 other person
l just used one of these lol
DSC 0361

Reactions: CHEZ, pburv, Simon L and 1 other person
l used one to clear the soot from them today...and l did...:footy:

I had previously scrubbed them,then polished them using gtechniq Nano polish,all it took was a wipe to clean them after using the Polish

Reactions: pburv, Simon L and Rob2k68
I had previously scrubbed them,then polished them using gtechniq Nano polish,all it took was a wipe to clean them after using the Polish

..........so do you wipe yer mug with em before or after mate...................could go instant tan if after??!! lol

Reactions: pburv, Jassyo06 and Rob2k68
Given up, after 2 years and 31,000 miles, of trying to clean using 'products' and got out the Brillo pad.

10 minutes later all sparkly chrome again and with no visible signs of any damage to chrome.

Reactions: pburv, Rob2k68 and MikeParkin
Given up, after 2 years and 31,000 miles, of trying to clean using 'products' and got out the Brillo pad.

10 minutes later all sparkly chrome again and with no visible signs of any damage to chrome.
Wonder if you can get a Dremel attachment that would be nice and soft to clean/buff up...will look later!

I'm working on a permanent solution for mine, should be up and running in the next ten days so watch this space.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rob2k68 and pburv
God help us.......................4 pages of this and you girls still can't sort yer tips out!! lol

Reactions: Audi Bairn, CHEZ, Jassyo06 and 2 others
Reactions: CHEZ, davc, pburv and 3 others
The gtechniq polish has worked wonders on me tips,top stuff a wipe and the soot is gone.....nanotechnology for ya lol
And Batchio well put.....lol

Reactions: Audi Bairn, Rob2k68, batch and 2 others
After only 10 days of ownership I've noticed the exhaust tips get black quickly, and it's tricky to clean off completely

If you're finding the same then you might be interested in an approach I tried out today with great success...

I sprayed onto the exhaust tips some BBQ cleaner (Selleys brand here in Oz). It's non abrasive and works a treat combined with a dish washing sponge. The green scourer side is good for the super-stubborn sooty deposits on the inner lower lip. Leaves the whole thing looking shiny as new. Ripper!

I had previously tried wheel cleaner on one tip with little success

I've also got some BBQ wipes - like a giant thick baby wipe with rubbery nodules - from same brand that I might try on the alloys next clean. Will post a report here later...
Additionally, Coat exhaust pipes with Car Pro CQuartzto prevent the sticking of black exhaust blowback.
It works insanely well on the entire car...

Reactions: Jassyo06, Audi Bairn and Rob2k68
Good old fashion silvo works a treat on exhaust pipes!!

Reactions: Jassyo06