S3 dirty exhaust tips solution!

How long did you leave it to build up? I've been using Autosol and a cotton make-up pad to clean my tips, gets all the soot off, brings them up a treat too.

Reactions: Dtwm1
How long did you leave it to build up? I've been using Autosol and a cotton make-up pad to clean my tips, gets all the soot off, brings them up a treat too.
Unfortunately it has been nearly 5000 miles since they were last cleaned, and some of those miles were pretty fun miles lol had another go at it in the last hour and it seems likely it will come off eventually, I just need to put a lot more effort in than most!

Certainly won't be leaving it very long in the future! Will add it to the list of things to do when I do my regular cleans!

I've got a tub of the Meguiars metal polish and it's ok but it doesn't clean chrome tail pipes as well as Autosol. I'll be buying a new tube this weekend.

Hmmmm....

I have most of the products mentioned here. Autosol, WD40, etc... All I ever use on my chrome pipes is, the product I use to remove tar (similar to trardis). Requires just a quick rub. Then the polish I use on the rest of the car (SRP). Then the sealant I use on the rest of the car (EGP). There after, when I am washing the car, just wipe with the same sponge used on the alloys.

Simple, quick, effective.

Reactions: Madmiles
In a bind you can get away with regular cutting compound. Takes it off in a few rubs and doesn't mark the finish like steel wool.

Just used this very pleased with the results. Not much effort to use far less buffing than Autosol. Tips were cleaned with a washmitt prior to application .....

q9JK0JvH

JAvLbGRc

ironOgg3

Reactions: pburv, HawkeyeS3, Jassyo06 and 2 others
I use ValetPro Bilberry Wheel Cleaner on my tips. Worked a treat and saved myself a few quid not having to buy another product!

Just used this very pleased with the results. Not much effort to use far less buffing than Autosol. Tips were cleaned with a washmitt prior to application .....

q9JK0JvH

JAvLbGRc

ironOgg3
Looks great, what did use to apply the polish? Might give it a try as I left mine a little too long and AutoSol gives it a good try but doesn't quite shift the lot.

Looks great, what did use to apply the polish? Might give it a try as I left mine a little too long and AutoSol gives it a good try but doesn't quite shift the lot.

Cheers !!

Just a bog standard microfibre cloth nothing fancy. Was surprised how easy it was to do its a liquid rather than a paste and is non abrasive definitely worth giving it a go.

Reactions: pburv and Wondering Soul
Cheers !!

Just a bog standard microfibre cloth nothing fancy. Was surprised how easy it was to do its a liquid rather than a paste and is non abrasive definitely worth giving it a go.
Nice one. Will try and pick up a bottle and give it a go when the rain eventually decides to stop!

I regularly clean mine as part of the wash cycle but will also use AG metal polish every few weeks. I had quite stubborn stains at one point but that just instantly removed them, that was after using a engine greaser, BH auto wheel which didn't touch them.

Cheers !!

+1

I think the gtechniq m1 is great stuff. I agree it's really easy to clean the tips with it.

I use one of the small microfibre applicator pads to apply it. Comes up great.

Reactions: Rob2k68
I'll give

q9JK0JvH

JAvLbGRc

ironOgg3

Got a bottle delivered from cleanyourcar.co.uk (ordered yesterday, arrived today):

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=1360

It's definitely better than Autosol - exhaust still pitted but it's cleaned them up really nice with a good handful of microfibre cloths now very black :D

Thanks for the tip!

Haha lol I see what you've done there ;o)

Glad you got some good results !

I've given up on the tips and feel like I've given up on myself :(.

If you can do a short write up because the results are really good!:s3addict:

Jesh, keep a resealable packet of baby wipes in the car. Every week 20secs work and after 11months still shiny and unmarked.

Curiosity got the better of me... Had to see how my Weber BBQ cleaning spray fared...

Before (17:06)

After (17:09)

3 minutes and not to bad IMO

BBQ spray - love it and why not indeed ;o)

I've given up on the tips and feel like I've given up on myself :(.

If you can do a short write up because the results are really good!:s3addict:

It's really easy :-
1 Wash the worse off the tips with a sponge or washmitt.
2 put a few dabs of the M1 on a microfibre and rub lightly around the tips so it's barely enough so you see it
3 polish off with the other half or a clean microfibre cloth. Work the cloth around the ends of the tips holding between thumb and index finger then do the outer surfaces. Can also fit the cloth around each tip and holding both ends of the cloth work back and forwards a little like those belt exercise machines that go around your waist - can't think of anything better to describe it.
4 stand back and admire.

Takes no longer than 5 mins each probably less next time.

Reactions: A3_Rider
Lots of good advice here for how to clean the tips, but despite trying some of these I was unable to get them clean so when car was in for a service I asked them to have a look at it them. Dealer confirmed that there is a known issue with the chrome pipes and they ordered special Audi stuff to clean them. However, despite another visit to the dealer they were unable to remove the corrosion - so all 4 tail pipes replaced under warranty. Seems that the chrome had corroded and there was small pit marks on the pipes so they couldn't fix them.

Anyone else had this problem ?

Lots of good advice here for how to clean the tips, but despite trying some of these I was unable to get them clean so when car was in for a service I asked them to have a look at it them. Dealer confirmed that there is a known issue with the chrome pipes and they ordered special Audi stuff to clean them. However, despite another visit to the dealer they were unable to remove the corrosion - so all 4 tail pipes replaced under warranty. Seems that the chrome had corroded and there was small pit marks on the pipes so they couldn't fix them.

Dont have this problem.........dont neglect

I noticed pitting last night... (see earlier posted pic)

I'll get Audi to evaluate this when it goes in for it first service...

2 put a few dabs of the M1 on a microfibre and

Two dabs of the M1? I didn't know the motorway could help clean it..

.... I'll get my coat :stupid:

Anyway, with all baaad jokes over, I've used Chrome Cleaner that has been in the shed collecting dust which did a good job, but I don't know if it's abrasive, if it is I won't use that again!

Some good tips here, PUNPUNPUNPUNPUN so i'll be sure to try them :)

OH - P.S - Nice to see people actually cleaning their chrome exhaust tips, I absolutely hate seeing cars with shiny exhausts which have just got that much muck on them they aren't shiny anymore. For some reason, to me since a young lad, exhausts are an awesome detail to a car especially when they are chrome.

One thing though, why do the S3 exhausts soot up so much compared to my 1.4 COD? Is it emissions or the more powerful/bigger engine?

Last edited:
I've covered nearly 4k miles since taking delivery last October and after a couple of k miles I was concerned by the state of the chrome tips.
I trawled the net for some ideas and I found an American U tube video in which they used P21S Polishing Soap on the pipes of a BMW and the crud came off without any problem and not too much elbow grease.I couldn't find a stockist to begin - presumably it's a US product. I finally came across it on Amazon UK back in January at £19.99 + P&P, so not cheap. It took 14+ days to arrive so presumably shipped from the States.
It does a great job without too much effort and is not abrasive.
As an aside, wire/steel wool has been mentioned in this thread. I saw a clip some time ago - again on U tube - about a particular brand of exhaust (can't remember the name) and the narrator recommended fine bronze wool as it is softer and less abrasive than steel wool. I bought a pack just in case but I haven't needed to use it in view of how well the P21S performs.

Has anyone found the best way to remove the dirt that doesn't just clean off?
I went from cleaning the tips with bilberry wheel cleaner followed by autosol after every second run to once a week to whenever I remembered now the tips just done clean up to the shiney way they were before.
Will a green scrub pad damage the tips or is this safe?
Looks like they need some after every second run using the car to keep them brand new. I see some s3's with tips that just look black with dirt now and it ruins it

Has anyone found the best way to remove the dirt that doesn't just clean off?
I went from cleaning the tips with bilberry wheel cleaner followed by autosol after every second run to once a week to whenever I remembered now the tips just done clean up to the shiney way they were before.
Will a green scrub pad damage the tips or is this safe?
Looks like they need some after every second run using the car to keep them brand new. I see some s3's with tips that just look black with dirt now and it ruins it

I used a variety of products initially, I tried BH auto wheel which didn't touch it, then I tried AG engine cleaner as I though a degreaser might do the trick. I then tried AG metal polish which works brilliantly. In fact for about 2-3 months, after using it for a while, the tips seemed to clean by just using a wash mitt, although the last few weeks I have had to apply it again. It does bring the dirt off pretty easily. I expect its an equal to the GTechniq metal polish.

Reactions: Chris5
It will need a good scrub to get the black off which seems molded on now so will a scourer pad be safe to use along with the AG

Gtechniq M1 metal polish with a microfibre cloth. Used loads of stuff but nothing touches this.

Reactions: Chris5
Thanks mate will try that

I wouldn't suggest using a scourer pad. I just use a polishing cloth, it will be filthy after you have used it but it should work. If it is so caked on then it probably will take a fair bit of elbow grease. I'd be concerned using a scourer if it would scratch some of the chrome.

Reactions: Daveotto, Chris5 and Rob2k68
Once you clean them properly why don't you wax them with a high temp wax such as Finnish Kare 1000p? It'll help to maintain the shine and stop the dirt sticking so much

Reactions: Chris5 and Rob2k68
I got them clean again so I will buy the wax tomorrow then apply that cheers

I use autosol on mine but also have Barkeepers Friend which is good and quicker to use. I also use it on the windows every couple of months.

Wondering if something like IronX or Ferrous Dueller as a pre-soak might help? I tried the Cape Cod polishing cloths which did a great job but needed a lot of elbow grease! Now they are looking terrible again, think it will be the same story but very tempted to try some sort of cleaner first...

Wondering if something like IronX or Ferrous Dueller as a pre-soak might help? I tried the Cape Cod polishing cloths which did a great job but needed a lot of elbow grease! Now they are looking terrible again, think it will be the same story but very tempted to try some sort of cleaner first...

Good thinking ! Need to try and wash my car over the weekend and it's VERY dirty so will give them a spray of my wheel cleaner before getting the sponge on them and then the M1 metal polish. Will also give them a lick of the Poorboys wheel sealant afterwards seems worth a try.

I've said it before, keep a packet of baby wet wipes in the car
10secs every week job done, 18months old and still sparkly clean and shiny with zero pitting.

Think il go back to giving them a clean after every 2/3 runs seems the only way to keep them good for the long run

ironOgg3

After seeing your post, got a bottle of this to try as I haven't touched my exhaust tips for at least 5K miles so if I say they were minging, I was being kind. Had previously tried a number of different products, Belgom Alu, Megs NXT Motorcycle All Metal Polish, Solvol - but have to say this beat them all by a mile! Had to rub a bit harder on the edges, but my exhaust tips are shiney all over and took no time at all!

Thanks for posting Robk268!!!

Reactions: Jassyo06 and Rob2k68