s3 differences

bigal23

Reaction score
am in the market for a an S3 but after looking i can see the the 8v has two variations.
the 300ps and 310ps and the only difference I can is the lower emissions and slightly more bhp.

can anyone tell me what the differences are if any more?

is it worth the extra to get the 310ps?

the 310ps engine is in the facelift models which has the more aggressive front grill, lights. It also has a different rear diffuser.

Facelift models generally have better quality resolution media screens.

There's a few others but those are the ones from the top of my head.

Reactions: Audi Bairn
thank you PHutch33.

what are the mechanical differences? is the 310ps a better engine or the same just with a bigger hp

Isn't the DSG gearbox different between the PFL and FL too? Think the FL has 7 cogs to the PFL's 6.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Reactions: RSS-S3, glospete, Djs3saloon and 1 other person
As above, in s-tronic guise you get 7 speed instead of the old 6 :)

Si :)

is the 310ps a better engine or the same just with a bigger hp

Undoubtedly a far better engine, you can really notice the difference, my new S3 after 500 miles was already quicker than my old one was after being run in for 8000 miles........................and if you believe that you will believe anything...its the same engine retuned for the marketing guys hype...no noticeable friggin difference in fact if you compare the 0-62 times between the pre and post facelift the facelift model is actually slower I believe by 0.1 sec

Reactions: Audi Bairn and Jassyo06
Undoubtedly a far better engine, you can really notice the difference, my new S3 after 500 miles was already quicker than my old one was after being run in for 8000 miles........................and if you believe that you will believe anything...its the same engine retuned for the marketing guys hype...no noticeable friggin difference in fact if you compare the 0-62 times between the pre and post facelift the facelift model is actually slower I believe by 0.1 sec

Well Put mate...but l must say your Frickin stunning Floret S3 Saloon looks far better than your Sportback ever did....

Reactions: Daveotto
the 310ps engine is in the facelift models which has the more aggressive front grill, lights. It also has a different rear diffuser.

Facelift models generally have better quality resolution media screens.

There's a few others but those are the ones from the top of my head.

There is no difference in resolution on the pop up screen between the 2 models none,l would actually say the MMI menu looks worse on the new car as its set to the one side,where as in the older model it was set across the bottom of the screen in a semi circle,some face lift cars dont even have a subwoofer adjustment....again its a refresh model or as BMW name it a LCI....
Way l see it is.....
There's better options on the Face lift car
The Face lift car looks better/sharper.
Sounds a bit better

Last edited:
Pretty much covered above.
Some used FL cars will have extras fitted that weren't available on the PFL, such as Virtual Cockpit.

Reactions: Jassyo06
Ps....Last word on this l promise...lol,the face lift is a lot more expensive....a lot more in comparison

Reactions: vacant and Audi Bairn
Well Put mate...but l must say your Frickin stunning Floret S3 Saloon looks far better than your Sportback ever did....

Thanks, Got to agree with you there, surprised myself with how good a combination S3 saloon and Floret is and not had the time yet to give it a decent 3-4 waxing and polishing session

Reactions: Jassyo06 and Audi Bairn
Pretty much covered above.
Some used FL cars will have extras fitted that weren't available on the PFL, such as Virtual Cockpit.

Saw my first Navarra Saloon out on the road today....you have excellent taste mate....it even had me turning my head....lol....seen one in the showroom before...but out on the road no.... l have not until this afternoon...

Thanks, Got to agree with you there, surprised myself with how good a combination S3 saloon and Floret is and not had the time yet to give it a decent 3-4 waxing and polishing session

Glad you added in Polishing.....into that sentence...lol

Reactions: Daveotto and Audi Bairn
Saw my first Navarra Saloon out on the road today....you have excellent taste mate....it even had me turning my head....lol....seen one in the showroom before...but out on the road no.... l have not until this afternoon...

Cheers @jassyo06 didnt realise you'd not seen one in the flesh. Could've popped over anytime in the last few months for a peek lol

Mine needs a clean currently but Mrs Bairn has "advised" she's taking it tomorrow for her first shot of driving it as the TT is too low to pick her mum up :scared2:

Alloy wheel insurance.......... check!
Valium looked out.........check!

Reactions: Tom.H
Cheers @jassyo06 didnt realise you'd not seen one in the flesh. Could've popped over anytime in the last few months for a peek lol

Mine needs a clean currently but Mrs Bairn has "advised" she's taking it tomorrow for her first shot of driving it as the TT is too low to pick her mum up :scared2:

Brave man indeed!

Mrs G has driven mine once, 5 laps round the car park last weekend at the Falkirk Wheel lol
Was considering an auto for her next car, so I said she could try mine first. She'd had enough after 5 laps "babe watch the kerb" was on repeat! Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: AllStar, Tom.H and Audi Bairn
Brave man indeed!

Mrs G has driven mine once, 5 laps round the car park last weekend at the Falkirk Wheel lol
Was considering an auto for her next car, so I said she could try mine first. She'd had enough after 5 laps "babe watch the kerb" was on repeat! Haha

Mrs Bairn is actually heading down your way tomorrow @BarryG79
Any chance you could keep an eye out for me mate lol
Although probably better not knowing, as long as it comes back the way it left here :blink:

Reactions: azibux1
Mrs Bairn is actually heading down your way tomorrow @BarryG79
Any chance you could keep an eye out for me mate lol
Although probably better not knowing, as long as it comes back the way it left here :blink:

No worries if she's doing donuts I'll tell her to stop. Lol

Tell her not to worry if some mad man in a white S3 waves!

No worries if she's doing donuts I'll tell her to stop. Lol

Tell her not to worry if some mad man in a white S3 waves!

Well, it's back safely!
Got a tad worried when she took 2 hours to get to her mums when it normally takes half an hour, but it was because she got stuck when a lorry overturned on the M876 and she covered a mile in 90 mins.
She liked a bit too much though which means she'll want it again :shrug:

Reactions: Tom.H, BarryG79 and Djs3saloon

Nooooo

There is no difference in resolution on the pop up screen between the 2 models none,l would actually say the MMI menu looks worse on the new car as its set to the one side,where as in the older model it was set across the bottom of the screen in a semi circle,some face lift cars dont even have a subwoofer adjustment....again its a refresh model or as BMW name it a LCI....
Way l see it is.....
There's better options on the Face lift car
The Face lift car looks better/sharper.
Sounds a bit better
I disagree. I think the rear diffuser on the facelift looks really bad actually. Much prefer the diffuser on the PFL.

Reactions: perazzi