S3 Damper Problem?

mechanic69

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Website
www.audi-sport.net
I fitted Bilstein B8s and Eibach springs a couple of years ago and the drivers side has developed a noise (not sure I can describe it but it doesn't sound normal whenever the suspension is moving up and down. I have also noticed the drivers side is sitting 10mm lower than passenger side.

I have already checked both dampers and springs sizes when off the car are they are exactly the same length when I recently changed the top mounts. As soon as the car is off the jacks the ride height isn't the same. I am measuring ground to top of arch if that makes a difference.

I have also changed the bottom arms/bushes, the drop links, tie rod ends and bottom ball joints, so I doth think there is anything else that could be knackered to make the noise.

I am assuming the car will sit level and there is not more weight of the engine on drivers side, I wouldn't have thought so.

How do I now if the shock is knackered it still seems to handle really well not bouncy or anything.

I am at a loss, any help appreciated.

normally they need to drive at least 50 miles to get set properly, the only way to check the bushes properly is to pry bar them, they shouldn't move (at least not easily).

The ride height is set by the spring not the damper, in theory you should be able to take the damper off and it would still sit right on the spring. If the free length of the springs is the same off the car try measuring the length of the spring each side on the car under load if possible ?

Reactions: S.
Or a spring broke

this is what i was getting at, they often brake on the last coil then creak and groan as they are bounced, that would give a different ride height, a knackered shock wouldn't in my experience, easy to check.

It maybe broken inside the cup. You need a torch and mirror to see in there.