Facelift S3 damaged by a falling..............Sofa!!!

Son of the liberty

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
IMG 1671
0E358419 C2BD 4C08 9D5A AB60A5988C71
So we had a new sofa delivered by Sofology this week and after delivery, we noticed it was damaged.

They came to collect it today and I wasn't in and they stood it up on end and it fell right onto the tailgate of my S3!!!

There is a crease and a dent of approx 5" in the boot lid and it's broken the paint slightly, and whilst they have accepted responsibility they have already mentioned a smart repair.

I'm not happy with that as it's a 3 month old car and was perfect before they dropped a F****** sofa on it!!

Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_1673.jpeg
    IMG_1673.jpeg
    1,017.2 KB · Views: 147
I would definitely be looking to get the repair done by an Audi repair shop, and no way should you accept a ‘smart’ repair...as you say, it was their fault, and your car is practically brand new!

Reactions: pburv
Id insist the repairs are carried out at a dedicated approved bodyshop. incase of any future warrenty issues. If you go through insurance, you might get loaded at renewal. Do you have legal protection with any insurance policy? house and contents etc. Just o get legal advice, it MIGHT be that you have to give them a chance to put back to as same,
Clumsy careless *******.

I would go to you insurer and let them sort it out. No reason for you to negotiate with the sofa company.

Smart repair so close to that tailgate crease....extremely unlikely

Reactions: Audi Bairn, pburv and sportback A3
I would definitely be looking to get the repair done by an Audi repair shop, and no way should you accept a ‘smart’ repair...as you say, it was their fault, and your car is practically brand new!
I'm with @AllanG . If they have admitted fault then they should be prepared to cough up and get it done by whoever YOU decide to get it done. :icon thumright:

Reactions: Audi Bairn
Thanks guys, I honestly cannot believe this has happened.

I wasn’t even at home I was out cycling.

luckily my neighbours saw it along with my wife

I'd aim for a new car.

:)

New boot lid ! ! If they are that careless then they should pay to get it repaired .Back to as new.

Reactions: pburv and N.J.H
No way a Smart repair will fix that damage. Take it to a to a top notch bodyshop for an estimate.

Reactions: pburv, Audi Bairn and N.J.H
As long as they can get behind it (which I think will be easy on that panel) a decent PDR guy will sort that all day long. It hasn't even crossed the swage line.

As long as they can get behind it (which I think will be easy on that panel) a decent PDR guy will sort that all day long. It hasn't even crossed the swage line.

But in all fairness its a brand new car, I wouldnt accept a repair. Id want it to go into Audi, and come out with a new boot lid, fully painted to mirror factory finish etc.

Reactions: pburv, N.J.H, Pinky1959 and 1 other person
But in all fairness its a brand new car, I wouldnt accept a repair. Id want it to go into Audi, and come out with a new boot lid, fully painted to mirror factory finish etc.

Totally get what you're saying, BUT I really believe that PDR is the way to go for a ding like this one for the simple reason that I have NEVER been happy with a panel when it has gone to be painted REGARDLESS of where it went and who did it. I can ALWAYS see the difference.

I've had three perfect experiences with PDR where there's no way in a million years anyone would ever know that it had been done. (Obviously dependent on the skill of the guy doing the PDR)

Totally get what you're saying, BUT I really believe that PDR is the way to go for a ding like this one for the simple reason that I have NEVER been happy with a panel when it has gone to be painted REGARDLESS of where it went and who did it. I can ALWAYS see the difference.

I've had three perfect experiences with PDR where there's no way in a million years anyone would ever know that it had been done. (Obviously dependent on the skill of the guy doing the PDR)

Yes I agree, hence my tongue in cheek new car comment :)

But fair enough, I've never been happy with any PDR I've seen, but yes, its about the skill of the person doing it, and I may just have been unlucky with who I got.

I’ve had a bumper repaired by Chipsaway and would highly recommend them!

As for Audi well wouldn’t trust the garage to service my car and wouldn’t let them touch the paint!
Replace the boot lid and you could end up with leaking seals etc!

Just my opinion!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: loftylad
I’ve had a bumper repaired by Chipsaway and would highly recommend them!

As for Audi well wouldn’t trust the garage to service my car and wouldn’t let them touch the paint!
Replace the boot lid and you could end up with leaking seals etc!

Just my opinion!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lol, Chipsaway, had a tail gate blemish done by them with the local guy to me and the paint flaked off in six months. He re did it, and the same happened. Shocking really.

But again, I guess it's about the quality of the person doing it.

Maybe look for the best bodyshop you can find, one that does real high end work and try for that.

Reactions: Jassyo06
Thing is with PDR (PAINTLESS Dent Removal) there IS no paint to apply to have problems in the future with!

The OP’s ding hasn’t broken the paint, and so all it needs is a skilful PDR guy to push out the dent. It will be near perfect imo.

It’s all down to the skill of the individual.

EDIT. Balls, I’ve just seen your thread on PH. You say the paints broken. Forget all I’ve said :-(

Last edited:
Says in the first post, that the paint is broken....

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I do think some of you are underestimating the skills of a good smart repair shop though. When mine was three months old, someone parked next to me opened their door into mine, denting it right on the crease line. I took it to my local smart repair shop and when I went to pick it up, there was absolutely no sign whatsoever that there had ever been a problem.

The PDR guys are really good but the op has broken paint so why should he compromise just to suit the sofa company

pros and cons to both methods suggested.
Being a new car I can see why you want a new boot and new paint as psychologically this would get the car being close to brand new again so it’s a win.
Problem with this is it’s difficult to achieve a factory finish perfectly to match the rest of the car and to the trained eye you can see where it’s been painted and in my experience the paint is never as hard/resilient as the factory finish. my last car had some warranty work done by an Audi body shop and where they painted it easily swirled and chipped compared to the rest of the car.
a smart repair will maintain the factory finish and if done well it will be invisible and look like new without the negatives of the above. Problem is in the back of your head you know it’s been repaired and will always be looking for imperfections. You also need to find a really good smart repairer that’s can do the job properly.
not sure if there are any aluminium panels on the a3/s3 but on my a6 the smart repair guy I’ve used for years said it’s very difficult to repair aluminium panels as they are harder and less flexible/forgiving than a steel panel so he left some of the supermarket dings I wanted out of my car.
Choice is yours and you need to weigh up pros and cons to both methods and make an informed decision.

Reactions: sportback A3 and Pinky1959
Contact a high end detaling company, perhaps ping White details an email and ask their opinion/recommendations as to a PDR guy, in many cases original is best eg paint. Dont forget to include any coatings you had on your car, especially ceramic. Whatever route you decide I hope you get it sorted.