S3 cut out and wont start? help please?!

ritchunt

Reaction score
i was driving along today doing about 30 mph and my car just died? when i coasted to a stop i tried to start it and its just spinning over really fast as though my timing belt had snappd, ive had the cover of and my belt is fine has anybody got any ideas?
also had a quick look and noticed the power steering and alternator belt is missing if that had snapped would this stop it from starting?
any ideas welcome cause i havnt got a clue.

can you hear the fuelpump starting...? Under the backseat

It sounds like the power steering belt snapped and jamed into the timing gear causing it to jump a few teeth and bend some valves. As i cannot think why else the car would stop and turn over faster than normal

yeah the fuel pump is pumping, would the power steering belt snappimg actually cause damage to the engine though as it isnt actually that vital is it?

Byzan is saying it might of gone into the timing gear

exact same happened to me minus the snapped belt i just here a clicking sound been informed that my engine seized

sounds like you have either lost some teeth on the timing belt or its jumped a few teeth and have bent some valves

Interweb diagnosis is so hard,lol

Stick it on VAGcom and see if you have anything on there. Have you checked the timing is still in line? And have you then checked you are actually getting TDC when the marks say? As the latter can be due to one of the pulleys coming loose and losing the locating key causing catastrophic damage ( been there done that)

thanks for the advice but i think im just gunna have to grin and bear it and take it to the garage and let them sort it, i was hoping it was be summit daft but it all points to bent and knackard valves gutter!
thanks again