Facelift S3 cooling fan running when switched off.

Jcbmally

Started with nothing & still have most of it left.
Reaction score
So had the car for a week (still grinning) 450 miles so far. Ever time I park up, switch off and get out of the car, whether I have travelled 5 miles or 20 miles, the fan runs for about 10/20secs.
I phoned Audi and they stated this is normal and that its cooling the motor turbo etc. Now I'm no mechanic but that sounds a bit ********. Can anyone confirm if this is the case with MY18 S3's or not.
Cheers very muckle.

My R does this a lot at the mo although my journey to/from work is 20 miles the fans on full chat for 20-30s after keys out so I wouldn’t worry too much

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: Audi Bairn and Jcbmally
My R does this a lot at the mo although my journey to/from work is 20 miles the fans on full chat for 20-30s after keys out so I wouldn’t worry too much

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Cheers bud, I can relax again and continue enjoying the car. :yahoo:

Reactions: Rob2k68
So had the car for a week (still grinning) 450 miles so far. Ever time I park up, switch off and get out of the car, whether I have travelled 5 miles or 20 miles, the fan runs for about 10/20secs.
I phoned Audi and they stated this is normal and that its cooling the motor turbo etc. Now I'm no mechanic but that sounds a bit ********. Can anyone confirm if this is the case with MY18 S3's or not.
Cheers very muckle.

Mine does it a lot and even more so in the hot weather

Reactions: GW1, Audi Bairn and Jcbmally
Mine does it a lot and even more so in the hot weather
Seems a normal thing then mate, for once the Audi Tech knew what he was talking about.

Reactions: GW1 and Daveotto
Yep. Mine does it when its hot.

Reactions: Jcbmally
Mine makes noises, don't know about it being fan though.

Some like beeping sound almost lol.

My New S4 does exactly the same only done 600 miles up to now. Also there’s a burning smell sometimes when the car gets driven hard is that Normal?

Mine does that too! Pretty strange sound that can't be described but if you've heard you know what people are talking about. The fan on my car also starts running when I park.

Mine does that too! Pretty strange sound that can't be described but if you've heard you know what people are talking about. The fan on my car also starts running when I park.

Mine did that funny sound too last night and Never had a car with the fan always kick in so much after engine been turned off.

No beeping for me mate, just fans running.

My New S4 does exactly the same only done 600 miles up to now. Also there’s a burning smell sometimes when the car gets driven hard is that Normal?
Burning smell is usually the residues burning off.

Cheers for the reply's guys. Loving the S3 :thumbs up:

Technically its not a cooling fan running, however it is the oil pump still running to cool your turbo after it has been driven. Otherwise the hot turbo would burn up any standing oil in it and cause premature failure! In the old days cars didn't have this and would have to be fitted with a turbo timer so the turbo doesn't burn out after the engine has been switched off! Burning smell is normal as its just the smell of hot oil going through the turbo.

Technically its not a cooling fan running, however it is the oil pump still running to cool your turbo after it has been driven. Otherwise the hot turbo would burn up any standing oil in it and cause premature failure! In the old days cars didn't have this and would have to be fitted with a turbo timer so the turbo doesn't burn out after the engine has been switched off! Burning smell is normal as its just the smell of hot oil going through the turbo.
Cheers buddy, ever day is a learning day, even for us "older" guys. :hi:

Reactions: rajeevx5
my 4year old S3 has never had its cooling fan/oil pump with the ignition off despite living somewhere warmer than the UK.
i do however always do the last 4-5kms quite slowly without using any boost which would suggest the earlier post is correct.....you can tell my age from my turbo cool down behaviour! interestingly back in those days there was some scepticism about whether idling oil pressure was actually enough to cool the turbo hence my cool down approach with the engine under partial load.

Wonder if it only applies to more recent models?

Reactions: GW1 and Jcbmally
My fan runs on sometimes, especially in warmer weather. I also hear the various beep sounds when the bonnet is open, it’s normal.

This is normal. I get the same in my 184 tdi quattro, so i wouldn't worry about it.