S3 Coolant.

H4VO

Reaction score
Hi all..

May be a stupid question, but I’m not ‘engine’ minded.

I have a MY19 S3, had it from new.

Car as just done over the 10k mark and tonight whilst driving, it told me to stop the engine and check the coolant. I did and it’s on minimum, why is this? Or should this be happening to a car this new?

Does driving the car hard make the coolant go down?

I have no idea, any advice etc would be great

Thanks

Some guy was telling me that because of the way they fill coolant at the factory the coolant is quite prone to getting an air bubble inside so new cars often come in shortly after delivery for a top up. Either visit the dealer or buy yourself a bottle of coolant for around £11. Remember to check the coolant level on a cold engine. Also a good idea to carry a bottle of distilled water for emergency use to top up coolant (distilled so you don’t get deposits of minerals in a closed system)

Reactions: H4VO
Some guy was telling me that because of the way they fill coolant at the factory the coolant is quite prone to getting an air bubble inside so new cars often come in shortly after delivery for a top up. Either visit the dealer or buy yourself a bottle of coolant for around £11. Remember to check the coolant level on a cold engine. Also a good idea to carry a bottle of distilled water for emergency use to top up coolant (distilled so you don’t get deposits of minerals in a closed system)
Cheers mate! Much appreciated for the info. Just ordered some G13, that should be delivered later today.

Cheers mate! Much appreciated for the info. Just ordered some G13, that should be delivered later today.

Get it into your dealer!

They know about a coolant leak on thermostat but never issued a recall!

You’ll be covered under warranty.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine's a MY16 and was loosing coolant after a trip to Devon, took it to Audi last Monday finally got it back on Thursday, the list of items changed were: thermostat, gaskets, all the pipes and a new radiator, thankfully all under warranty. Hopefully yours is just the air bubble.

I have a 2016 S3 cabriolet, just had a service told by service advisor Electronic Thermostat was leaking, I had no light come on dash or any visible leaks under car, was replaced under warranty which I had extended at a cost of £442 prior to Audi 3year warranty expiring. Total cost of repair I was told...... £1047,thank god I purchased warranty!

I have a 2016 S3 cabriolet, just had a service told by service advisor Electronic Thermostat was leaking, I had no light come on dash or any visible leaks under car, was replaced under warranty which I had extended at a cost of £442 prior to Audi 3year warranty expiring. Total cost of repair I was told...... £1047,thank god I purchased warranty!
Excuse my dumbness.. was your coolant going down lot then?

I never noticed my car was losing coolant when Audi discovered a leak when I took it in as I thought that my Haldex pump had gone; turned out that the pump was fine (I think I managed to rescue it by changing oil/cleaning gauze) but I had this leak that I had no idea about!

Mine was in 6 months ago for coolant loss, thermostat and housing was replaced but noticed last weekend it's back down to minimum so booked in again!!