S3 cockpit rattle?!!

Merlinpurples3bob

Reaction score
Hi all,
you guys are always on the ball so I was wondering if anyone knew what could cause a plastic sounding constant rattle from my car (only at idle 800-1000rpm) it's a facelift s3 8p and it only started yesterday. It's driving me mad already!! It's still under warranty but it's a fair drive to the dealership so trying to find out if it's serious first
Thanks guys

Bob

Where do you think it is originating from. I don't have an S3 but have a MY15 A3 and it is totally silent. The only place I believe that might result in rattle/creaky noise is the plastic either side of the gearstick. It's really the only plastic on plastic part of the cabin (front anyway). The trouble with rattles are they could be coming from another area of the cabin and resonating to another area. My old Countryman was a nightmare for this. It had padded felt everywhere between plastic.....and I mean everywhere. Hope you find it. It would drive me mad as well.

Mines been silent too but noticed the rattle last night when the radio was off. It sounds like it's coming from behind the dash or foot wells. It's almost like a loose heat shield kind of rattle but not really metallic sounding. Goes after anything above 1000 rpm.....

So really only at idle and pull away? stick it in one day when you're closer to your dealer and let them have a listen.