S3 clocks on an agu A3....help please

Amarshall

Reaction score
Quick question, can I swap my clocks for a nice set of s3 or Cupra r ones? Had it in the garage the other day but said the immobiliser would be an issue....any thoughts?

depends on the year of your car.

If an S3 was built on the same year, then it should be possible to swap those dials in. You WILL have to sort the immobiliser though, as its part of the cluster.

If your car is a very early A3 you might struggle to find a set that will work.

On the A4 platform one of the indicators is the clock. If your car currently has a digital clock, then in general you can only fit digital clock replacements. Similarly, if it has an analog clock, you can only fit analog replacements. I expect the A3 platform is probably similar, as they changed the clock at the same time they made other internal changes to the clusters.

Ahh that might be a problem then...1998 is my year so that might explain the issue they had with the immo on the s3 clocks they fitted. Is there a way on vagcom to reprogram it or ecu swop? Would I have to find a later agu ecu if I went down that route....cheers for the info

I believe if you found a set of S3 clocks with the same generation IMMO as your car, (ie analog clock) it should work, it would however need programmed correctly. It wont just plug in and go.

The ECU is paired to the cluster, and the cluster is paired to the keys.

With a new cluster you need to extract the security code (SKC) with vagtacho or similar, code the keys to the new cluster using the SKC, and then pair the cluster to the cars ECU with vagcom.

What exactly did the garage try?

don't think any S3's came with an analogue clock kev.

Shame really, as I was wondering something similar. my clocks are ancient, and the DIS is totally dead. I've got a set of slightly later clocks with the digital clock, although interestingly they still came from an pre facelift AGU A3 on ME3.8 (I have that ecu too). I was hoping with Immo defeat I'd be able to install them, but that doesn't sound likely from what you've said :(

You can find S3's with analog clocks, I have seen them with my own eyes although they are very, very rare. The car was a T plate.

The garage got them in (PSI tuning by the way) Worked fine, analogue ones, digital ones were a no go. But after a few minutes the immo kicked in. I'm sure the lads there could do it as I know there very well thought of in the VAG world but they gave up. Was a late Saturday afternoon close to closing Time so maybe that was what killed it in the end :) So it Is doable then for sure? In theory...

Same on mine prawn, builds going well by the way! Got the full Cupra r setup on the front now and fitted the white line ARB on the rear, sooooo much better and fun to drive! Love it.

interesting! Perhaps the very very early S3's like JoJos had the analogue clock? I just want a DIS that works!

Glad the LCR front end is working well for you mate. it's a huge upgrade isn't it?

Here's the clocks from my S3. Analogue bad boyzzz

84bcbd09.jpg

interesting! Perhaps the very very early S3's like JoJos had the analogue clock? I just want a DIS that works!

Glad the LCR front end is working well for you mate. it's a huge upgrade isn't it?

Yeah, best "powwahh this is awesome!!!" upgrade i've done so far. I guess when it's mapped with the ko3s with a few other bits (just exhaust/cat to do now really) It'll be a beauty!

Think it's possible to just replace the DIS?

Yes, there are a fair few companies out their that do it, or I think you can do it yourself if you are confident with a soldering iron. PM ScottB5 on here, he did something with his DIS.

Who said that you can not fit digital clocks onto car with analogue previously????I've got that on my car. It is 98 reg and the clocks came from 2003.

Interesting.

On the B5 the wiring is wildly different, and you need to add oil level sensor and some other bits or the dash goes in a proper huff.

2003 cluster also uses IMMO3, whereas your 98 will use IMMO2.

Fact is you have to change some wires pins - simply put them in different place. And yes if you don't want it faults on dis then oil sensor needs to be fit on however some model have that sensor already.

Immo3 was already on 98 reg but immo it is not a problem.

Just needs proper coding to get them work without CAN line.