S3 caught doing 140mph in Wales

SmileyS3

Reaction score

Ouch...this guy got 12 weeks in jail and 2 year ban. Wonder if he sold the car?

Yeah I'm sticking to 30 from now on! (I usually do 28-29mph):busted cop:

Reactions: pburv and SmileyS3

Yep..bad enough doing that type of speed on a straight stretch of road without another car in sight, but round that bend on a busy road....should have got more than 12 weeks...... .but pays testament to the grip and handling of the S3 ...135mph at the apex of the bend!!!!

Reactions: Simon L and pburv
Yep..bad enough doing that type of speed on a straight stretch of road without another car in sight, but round that bend on a busy road....should have got more than 12 weeks...... .but pays testament to the grip and handling of the S3 ...135mph at the apex of the bend!!!!
It's not so much the absolute speed or even the bend that made me think he was deficient in brain cells, it's the fact that anyone with half a brain would know that approaching a Vauxhall Corsa at that sort of closing speed is akin to playing Russian Roulette with 5 bullets.

Having watched it a few times I am still absolutely stunned. That little Corsa doesn't deviate in lane position by so much as an inch through the entire sequence, despite its operator being actively engaged in the very difficult maneuvre of turning left. This is surely a first?

Reactions: BarryM, Ignition1, David83S3 and 5 others
It's not so much the absolute speed or even the bend that made me think he was deficient in brain cells, it's the fact that anyone with half a brain would know that approaching a Vauxhall Corsa at that sort of closing speed is akin to playing Russian Roulette with 5 bullets.

Having watched it a few times I am still absolutely stunned. That little Corsa doesn't deviate in lane position by so much as an inch through the entire sequence, despite its operator being actively engaged in the very difficult maneuvre of turning left. This is surely a first?
lol...Corsa bashing...:haudrauf:

Reactions: Simon L and Scottyg
lol...Corsa bashing...:haudrauf:

Deservedly. I had one as a hire car a few weeks ago. Anyone that would voluntarily give over their own money for such an awful, dreary machine needs their bumps felt.

Reactions: Pulp84 and pburv
Deservedly. I had one as a hire car a few weeks ago. Anyone that would voluntarily give over their own money for such an awful, dreary machine needs their bumps felt.
You should try an A1 for the day.....:sadlike:

Reactions: GSB, Simon L and Scottyg
The S3 driver should take a holiday to Germany where he can do those sort of speed quite legally on some stretches of the Autobahn When I was there a couple of weeks ago I was doing 135mph and still being passed by quite a number of cars including an R8 who was really flying.

Reactions: voorhees
I'm not excusing what he's done in anyway but why would you ever plead guilty unless the police chased you down and stopped you.

You can refuse to identify who was driving which gets you 6 points and a £1000 fine.

I made a bit of a mistake last year on the motorbike (one of the reasons I got rid), some idiot cut me up so I wound the accelerator on and overtook him only then realised that a camera van was parked up on the right hand side. I won't go into detail but 2-3 seconds of madness on a 1000cc bike with 160bhp at the rear wheel can get you into big trouble.

Anyway I had two absolute weeks of hell waiting for a summons to arrive through the post with me phoning the local police ticket office to see if they had any records of my vehicle. If it came to it I would of refused to inform them who was riding and take the 6 points.

Albeit nothing ever came of it, I certainly have been rehabilitated and learnt a huge lesson!

Reactions: A3_Rider, AtotheK, pburv and 1 other person
With regard the video, Absolute Madness with not a thought for anyone else on the public road.

Unfortunately, there's quite a few fatals on the Welsh Motorway from precisely this sort of inappropriate high speed driving.
Luckily no-one injured this time - and a decent sentence handed down for a change.

Reactions: pburv
he leaves taken the corner a bit late. Thought he was going straight on there ....

Reactions: pburv
12 weeks in jail ***! Seems a tad OTT when no one died etc.

TX.

Edit - yes he was going way too fast of course and deserved something but that seem harsh to me.

Reactions: RS3 S. and AtotheK
I also thought the jail sentence was a bit harsh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: RS3 S. and AtotheK
So he should get a lesser sentence for driving in a manner that will kill someone, but didn't actually kill anyone because everyone around him got lucky?

The fact is he was just one false move, one mis-calculated control input, or one unexpected move from another road user away from someone suffering an extraordinarily brutal and violent death. Should he have survived it himself then he could expect a level 1 death by dangerous driving conviction which carries a careful-not-to-drop-the-soap tarrif of 8 to 14 years. 12 weeks is nothing given how infinitesimally small the difference is between him surviving to roll the dice on whether someone gets gets to die all over again, and actually killing someone.

Reactions: Martinbanshee, HawkeyeS3, RossR and 3 others
Sorry chaps but not long enough for me..........................absolute friggin moron.

Reactions: Ignition1, pburv, voorhees and 2 others
12 weeks in jail ***! Seems a tad OTT when no one died etc.

TX.

Edit - yes he was going way too fast of course and deserved something but that seem harsh to me.
It does not seem harsh when you read this quote an alternative ending to a similar car

"Two ‘show-off’ motorists who raced each other at speeds of more than 80mph in high-powered Audis have been jailed for causing the deaths of a young couple by dangerous driving.

Aaron Jones, 19, and his girlfriend Amy Hobson, 22, died after the smash on the A580 East Lancashire Road in Swinton, Salford, in June.

Steven Ward, 26, of South Avenue, Swinton, and Carl Wood, 27, of St James Street in Farnworth, Bolton, were driving ‘aggressively and competitively’ against each other before the crash.

They were ‘overtaking and undertaking’ other cars at high speed and ‘racing red lights’, Manchester Crown Court was told.

Ward was driving an Audi S3 and and Wood an Audi RS3. Both cars passed through three junctions from the East Lancashire Road’s junction with the M60 motorway before the fatal smash at the junction with Barton Road."

Reactions: S3Alex, Soulboy and Simon L
What a idiot we have all gone quick in are lives but to do that speed with other life's around you all it takes is the tyre to give up and that's it.

So he should get a lesser sentence for driving in a manner that will kill someone, but didn't actually kill anyone because everyone around him got lucky?

The fact is he was just one false move, one mis-calculated control input, or one unexpected move from another road user away from someone suffering an extraordinarily brutal and violent death. Should he have survived it himself then he could expect a level 1 death by dangerous driving conviction which carries a careful-not-to-drop-the-soap tarrif of 8 to 14 years. 12 weeks is nothing given how infinitesimally small the difference is between him surviving to roll the dice on whether someone gets gets to die all over again, and actually killing someone.
Blah blah blah

While it was definitely speeding, was it dangerous? He wasn't up anybody backside, and the car is more than capable.

12 weeks jail? 2 year Ban?

I could go out and shoplift and not get 12 weeks jail.
I could go out and rob a pensioner for their pension money, and not get 12 weeks jail.
I could go out and assault a random person and not get 12 weeks jail.

The law is all wrong. Yes, he was speeding, but come on? worse than the above? Never.

Watching various `Motorway cops` and `Police Interceptors` you see people drunk driving, driving a stolen car (or both) and going on a 20 mile Police chase. Yet they don't even get 12 weeks in jail !!!!

Bonkers, and all wrong.

Reactions: Av4nt, Tom_L, D1309 and 1 other person
@wab172uk ....think again, you don't get it...

You can't kill someone shoplifting so won't get 12 weeks and neither would mugging a pensioner, unless that resulted in a fatal heartache in which case it's at least manslaughter same goes for assault but that only happens rarely a "typical" sentence for the crimes you list is non custodial

However, driving in that manner only takes a minor error of judgement and its carnage and potentially mass murder not a few cuts and bruises so by any standards it was dangerous and the punishment was based on potential

Reactions: richinsoton and Simon L
@GSB you can drive at that speed in Germany though no problem so it can't be the speed itself that is dangerous. Yes if you drive like a **** with no respect for other road users then it could be dangerous. Jail seems harsh to me when it didn't actually harm anyone.

Lets just pretend we're all self righteous, and that no one on this board ever speeds !!!

What most are condemning (for what ever reason) we're all guilty of the same. The only difference is when we do it, it'll be deemed safe for the conditions. When someone else does it, they're a menace to society and should be locked up.

Reactions: James 123
Lets just pretend we're all self righteous, and that no one on this board ever speeds !!!

What most are condemning (for what ever reason) we're all guilty of the same. The only difference is when we do it, it'll be deemed safe for the conditions. When someone else does it, they're a menace to society and should be locked up l

Never said I never speed, but would deserve to be locked up if drove at over twice the legal limit on a busy road.......go troll somewhere else

Reactions: Simon L and GSB
Has anyone considered the possibility that the reason for his sentence is that he has already got points on his licence for other speeding offences?:shrug:

Reactions: batch and Simon L
@GSB you can drive at that speed in Germany though no problem so it can't be the speed itself that is dangerous. Yes if you drive like a **** with no respect for other road users then it could be dangerous. Jail seems harsh to me when it didn't actually harm anyone.

Try it. It's next to impossible to maintain those sorts of speeds in Germany. The autobahn is not the petrolheads paradise it's often made out to be. Their roads are just like our roads. Sure, the lane discipline is slightly better, but people are still people, and they will still pull out in front of you. If you're travelling at a speed greater than 130kph, which is the advisory limit on ALL German Autobahns, then you better be ready to pick up some of the cost, blame and liability for the ensuing shunt, carnage, death and mayhem. And there's plenty of that to go around, 500 - 600 people a year die on the Autobahn.

The fact remains that if you go faster you vastly increase the liklihood of a collision occurring, and the severity of that collision increases exponentially with speed, so his speed most certainly is a problem. Let's not forget his closing speed on the other traffic was around 70 mph. Next time youre cruising a motorway at the limit and pass a broken down car on the shoulder, imagine for a moment the forces and deformation that would occur if you ploughed into the back of it. This jackass wants to take extraordinary risks with complete strangers, and the penalty if he gets it wrong is that they suffer that sort of impact.

Harsh? He's a social liability and is in desperate need of a judicial boot the backside. The fact that he got away with it this time is immaterial, he needs to learn a lesson, so his five or six week holiday and a couple of years on the bus is far from harsh.

If you think otherwise, then fair enough. But be aware of what happens to your 155mph pride and joy if you get it wrong. If you hit something at that sort of speed, then you are going to die. Your cars survival space will crumple up to the size of a box of swan vestas and they'll be removing the bits of your corpse that stayed in the wreckage by punching a hole in the floor and draining you into a bucket.

Reactions: Soulboy, batch, voorhees and 3 others
What some above are not factoring in is that the majority of motorists are not expecting a vehicle to go "hooning" past at twice the legal limit.
Some are even surprised by a vehicle going past at 90mph.

It's not so much of how good a Driver or how suitable for the conditions you / your vehicle is, it's more to do with the others using the same road.
We've all seen - maybe experienced - some random pull-outs by vehicles and even genuine mistakes where the Driver(s) wasn't concentrating.

Reactions: richinsoton, batch, Daveotto and 2 others
Try it. It's next to impossible to maintain those sorts of speeds in Germany. The autobahn is not the petrolheads paradise it's often made out to be. Their roads are just like our roads. Sure, the lane discipline is slightly better, but people are still people, and they will still pull out in front of you. If you're travelling at a speed greater than 130kph, which is the advisory limit on ALL German Autobahns, then you better be ready to pick up some of the cost, blame and liability for the ensuing shunt, carnage, death and mayhem. And there's plenty of that to go around, 500 - 600 people a year die on the Autobahn.

The fact remains that if you go faster you vastly increase the liklihood of a collision occurring, and the severity of that collision increases exponentially with speed, so his speed most certainly is a problem. Let's not forget his closing speed on the other traffic was around 70 mph. Next time youre cruising a motorway at the limit and pass a broken down car on the shoulder, imagine for a moment the forces and deformation that would occur if you ploughed into the back of it. This jackass wants to take extraordinary risks with complete strangers, and the penalty if he gets it wrong is that they suffer that sort of impact.

Harsh? He's a social liability and is in desperate need of a judicial boot the backside. The fact that he got away with it this time is immaterial, he needs to learn a lesson, so his five or six week holiday and a couple of years on the bus is far from harsh.

If you think otherwise, then fair enough. But be aware of what happens to your 155mph pride and joy if you get it wrong. If you hit something at that sort of speed, then you are going to die. Your cars survival space will crumple up to the size of a box of swan vestas and they'll be removing the bits of your corpse that stayed in the wreckage by punching a hole in the floor and draining you into a bucket.

View attachment 89797
Lol I don,t want to get in a car again after reading that. No one told me they could be so dangerous...

Reactions: Kugaman1
No where near harsh enough he should have been banned for 5 years at least and fined minimum £ 2000 .He is an IDIOT .

View attachment 89797

Even on the Autobahn it's a matter of travelling at the speed to suit the conditions. Travelling at 140mph on a busy autobahn is certainly not a good idea. Generally most traffic is happy with a maximum of around 90-100mph in the outside lane. But on some quiet stretches, and they are quite a few, much faster than 100mph is possible and reasonably safe. Cars going fast always put there headlights on so that you can see them from much further back and make sure you get out of the way. When I was in German a couple of weeks ago I did do around 120-130mph in the A1/A48 autobahn north of the Mosel Valley and I have done the same speeds on other quiet stretches including the A65 down from Leige to the Mosel. It's a matter of adjusting the speed to suit the conditions, both traffic and weather. When there are speed limit signs the traffic generally obeys the limit because they know it is there for a reason.

Reactions: RossR and Daveotto
The reaction time and stopping distances involved at 140mph compared to 70mph seem to be forgotten by some on here with comments like 'the car is more than capable' etc. This wasn't a straight bit of motorway with no other vehicles, and even then, 140mph is madness on a public road. 2.3 miles a minute is going some. Complete lunatic who shouldn't be allowed near a machine like this, let alone any car.

Reactions: richinsoton, Daveotto and Simon L
Wow,
We are on a forum where almost everyone has bought 300hp S3s when they could have bought 150hp 1.4s and everyone seems to disagree with speeding!

Whether you are doing 71mph or 140mph on the motorway, you are officially breaking the law. You can kill someone in your car at 20mph, let alone 140mph.

Fact is, we ALL speed and anyone who says they dont is an out and out liar.

This guy took a chance, he knew the risks and he paid the price.

Reactions: Irfan Kasmani, Cymru09, HawkeyeS3 and 2 others
Wow,
We are on a forum where almost everyone has bought 300hp S3s when they could have bought 150hp 1.4s and everyone seems to disagree with speeding!

Whether you are doing 71mph or 140mph on the motorway, you are officially breaking the law. You can kill someone in your car at 20mph, let alone 140mph.

Fact is, we ALL speed and anyone who says they dont is an out and out liar.

This guy took a chance, he knew the risks and he paid the price.
It's all about degrees. There is breaking the law and breaking the law. Having a high powered car doesn't mean you have to drive at ridiculous speeds and I very much doubt that many on here with an S3 have been anywhere near 140mph. If you're doing 90 on a dual carriageway and someone else on the road decides to cross your path, chances are that you could have time to react and even more chance they could see you in their mirrors anyway. At 140, you are descending on traffic ahead so quickly, other drivers will have no idea and by the time they have started to cross into your lane they still wouldn't be able to see you plus you wouldn't have time to react and chances are test there will be dead bodies. Yes, 90 is breaking the law (for example) but unless you do something really stupid the likely outcome if caught is no more than a speed awareness course or 3 points. There is a reason the sort of speeds being discussed on here results in jail time and unless people with powerful cars realise this, they are probably too stupid to own one and should reconsider their options.

Reactions: RossR, Daveotto and Simon L
Having been banned myself for doing a silly (undisclosed speed) in a Modified R33 GTR Skyline around 12 years ago, seeing this video really hits home as to what I must have looked like when doing the same.

I'll not disclose the exact details and speed as it's well behind me and I wasn't in a good place mentally back then. I deserved more than I was sentenced for.

in short, it was summertime around 8pm on the M4, it took a Police Traffic car (Mercedes 350D) more than 2 junctions to catch up to the car, having seen me coming off a slip road and onto the M4 (he was on the Bridge), into the third lane I went and the boost got the better of my judgement.

This was my moment of Madness, something I won't ever repeat again. I've a clean licence, no points and the ban has more than gone from my record.

It's so easy (addictive) to just loose yourself in the pull of a fast car, that turbo noise wooshing/spooling, the tyre noise at the speed increases...I was lucky, there were no accidents, one false move at the speeds I was travelling and I would certainly not be here to type this now, Prison or a Coffin would have been the outcome, that realisation is still very real for me.

I am very humble to the judge that saw past my stupidity and realise that the short lived adrenaline rush that speed induces is in no way worth your life or a life of someone else.

Stay safe...more-so to those who have an S3/RS3!

G

Last edited:
Reactions: HawkeyeS3, Soulboy, lucas-suisse and 7 others
Part of the problem with speeding on a motorway in the UK is that a lot of drivers do not expect cars to be going that fast. The fact that they have probably had no training in how to use a motorway also does not help. The speed limit in most of Europe is 130kph or 80mph. Perhaps it's time we upped our limit to the same. If you want to go faster then just choose a quiet time and make sure you know what is behind you!

Reactions: batch

A good point, but I get the feeling that people don't quite realise what sort of forces were dealing with. It's not just about going twice as fast;

At 20 mph, a 1.4 tonne Audi S3 has 55,950 Joules of Kinetic energy
At 70 mph, a 1.4 tonne Audi S3 has 685,800 Joules of Kinetic energy. (3.5 x the speed, 12.5 x the energy of 20 mph)
At 80 mph, a 1.4 tonne Audi S3 has 895,440 Joules of Kinetic energy (30% more energy than the legal limit of 70mph, and 16x more energy than at 20mph)
At 140 mph, a 1.4 tonne Audi S3 has 2,741,870 Joules of Kinetic energy (4x more than at the legal limit, 50x more than at 20mph)

So, 140mph. Double the limit. You've got to dissipate 3 times more energy through the brakes to just to get back down to 70mph, as it takes to get from 70mph to a full stop. You need four times longer to stop as you do at the legal limit, and you're carrying the energy equivalent of over a pound and a half of TNT.

Even if you're only doing 90mph, you're carrying 1.13 million Joules of kinetic energy. Over 60% more than you were at 70mph...

Last edited:
Reactions: richinsoton, lucas-suisse, RossR and 2 others
@GSB modern brakes are very good though, the highway code stopping distances are proven to be well off and in a car with great brakes even more so. Agreed of course it will take longer to stop at 140 v 70. My point is there was was harm caused, yes there was potential but if we start to sentence on potential that's a pretty slippery slope isn't it?

TX.

The brakes may have improved in the last 50 years, but there's no arguing with physics. However long it takes to stop from 70mph, it'll take four times longer from 140mph. Yes, it can be done in distances far shorter than the Highway Code, but that's only phase 2 of the braking operation.

Your assumption forgets the other part of the equaution. The brakes are immeasurably better but the brain of the driver is still the same organic mulch that thought the world was flat and humans had to be sacrificed to appease the sun gods.

Your reaction time, or "thinking distance" in Highway Code parlance, is still the same, and at 140mph this will be about 42 m, 140ft or 14 car lengths before a foot hits a break pedal. That's a long long way, long enough for the speed differential between you and the car in front to become even greater as his much slower initial speed means he'll have potentially slowed to a crawl when you plough into the back of him at over 100mph, turning you, your passengers, and his family into an oily soup.

Sentencing on potential is long established in British law, look at attempted murder or conspiracy for reference. 'Harm' is also an interesting choice of words. It's worth noting the statutory definition of harm encompasses not only the harm actually caused by an offence, but also any harm that the offence was intended to cause or, in the case of outrageous speeding, might foreseeably have caused.

Reactions: HawkeyeS3, Gazjs and RossR