S3 build time?

cam87

Reaction score
Hi, my S3 is due to be built this week and I just wondered how long it takes to build one? I have heard it can take up to 5 weeks but just wanted to know of owners who tracked it all the way through how long it took?

Once you hit build week, it takes a couple of days. It should be at Emden dock later this week (If a HB or SB) and will get shipped to the UK usually within a week or so. There are loads of threads around how to track your boat but you will need your dealer to check the status codes and they can keep you up to speed where your car is.

Hi, my S3 is due to be built this week and I just wondered how long it takes to build one?

Exactly the same amount to time to build an A3 ;)

It depends if your dealer placed a factory order from scratch (in which case it can take up to 3 or 4 months depending on spec) - or if your dealer has managed to modify an existing order, already in the process, in which case it will be quicker.

From build to dealer delivery can be an average of 3 to 4 weeks, some are delivered quicker (depends on the timing of the trains and boats) and some are delivered later.

Just look in one of the existing build week threads (e.g.: BW 1,2,3,4) and you will see what the typical times are.

Last edited:
Once you hit build week, it takes a couple of days. It should be at Emden dock later this week (If a HB or SB) and will get shipped to the UK usually within a week or so. There are loads of threads around how to track your boat but you will need your dealer to check the status codes and they can keep you up to speed where your car is.
thanks for the info, just what i was looking for :)

It depends if your dealer placed a factory order from scratch (in which case it can take up to 3 or 4 months depending on spec) - or if your dealer has managed to modify an existing order, already in the process, in which case it will be quicker.

Just look in one of the existing build week threads (e.g.: BW 1,2,3,4) and you will see what the typical times are.

Thanks, no offence meant to A3 owners just wasnt sure if it was a different production line ;)

Exactly the same production line, the same components, the same body.

Just some go faster body kit plastic bits, different engine and suspension. Oh and some S3 branded interior bits. ;)

Reactions: cam87

Not strictly true V8

All A3/S3 saloons take longer to build than their Hatchback and Sportback counterparts because the saloons are all built in Hungary

The question was, how long to build a S3

The answer given, exactly the same amount of time as a A3 !

The question was, how long to build a S3

The answer given, exactly the same amount of time as a A3 !
Splitting hairs there V8, but yes, I'll concede that point buddy :thumbs up:

:p :laugh:

Not strictly true V8

All A3/S3 saloons take longer to build than their Hatchback and Sportback counterparts because the saloons are all built in Hungary

Why should it take longer to build a car in Hungary than in Germany. Both are made in modern Audi factories. Longer perhaps to get the finished car from Hungary via Ingolstat to Emden.

Reactions: phil1824 and veeeight
I just called Slough Audi about my A3 order (I believe it was ordered from scratch - don't think they found an existing order to modify).

At the moment the status is "10" which means the build week is unconfirmed. Right now the build week is estimated at week 14 which they typically see as "late April". They said call back in 2 weeks time to get an update as the factory in Germany will update their system to say "confirmed" and then Slough Audi can give me a more accurate delivery date.

I'll try again in mid/late March. What jaypers777 said above sounds right - assuming a week 14 build (March 30th to April 5th) - I'd assume 2 weeks after that for delivery...so week commencing 20th April. I'd say that's late April... :(

She said there is a chance it may get pushed forward.

Also interesting to hear her say that the A3 lead time is good and they produce them fast. The A6/S6, if you place a factory order today, has a delivery estimate of July!!!

Get your dealer to update you when the status changes. They can check this online and any good dealer will be pro-active and keep you up to speed, as mine did.

Get your dealer to update you when the status changes. They can check this online and any good dealer will be pro-active and keep you up to speed, as mine did.

She didn't mention contacting me and suggested I contact her. So I'll probably do that...Friday 13th? Could be a lucky day instead.

Why should it take longer to build a car in Hungary than in Germany. Both are made in modern Audi factories. Longer perhaps to get the finished car from Hungary via Ingolstat to Emden.
@h5djr - I'll re-phrase my statement then Dave ;)

It takes longer to deliver a A3/S3 saloon than a HB/SB

Happy now? :p

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Also interesting to hear her say that the A3 lead time is good and they produce them fast. The A6/S6, if you place a factory order today, has a delivery estimate of July!!!

I ordered my A3 Saloon in March last year. Delivery was mid-October! Things have improved now - you guys now don't know you're born!!

Exactly the same production line, the same components, the same body.

Just some go faster body kit plastic bits, different engine and suspension. Oh and some S3 branded interior bits. ;)

Fight, fight :eiertritt:

TX.

Reactions: Blackwhite and veeeight
@h5djr - I'll re-phrase my statement then Dave ;)

It takes longer to deliver a A3/S3 saloon than a HB/SB

Happy now? :p

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Not if you live in Hungary!

Sorry was loving the qualification fight here. Good thread though and answered the question I was looking for too.

I ordered my A3 Saloon in March last year. Delivery was mid-October! Things have improved now - you guys now don't know you're born!!

Ahem, I ordered March last year, picking up in the next 2 weeks, so that's only a year!!:(