Facelift S3 Brakes slam on when driving

sve170

Reaction score
Hi all
24hrs ago my daughters new 17 plate S3 brakes ‘slammed on’ during normal driving?
Luckily it was late at night, only doing approx 25mph and no cars behind at the time.
She received quite a scare, then found that the brake pedal (its s-tronic) was stuck solid to the floor?
Engine was still running at this time, when she then pushed on the accelerator the brakes released and was able to take the car forward and park up.

But when she applied the brakes during parking the brake pedal stuck down solid again. She was now unable to release it at all. I arrived and I could not release the brake at all, it was solid.
I also could not move the S-tronic lever it was also solid.

We called the AA to assist in recovering the car, during the wait I tried again to release the brake and managed to do it but I applied so much pressure onto it I thought the pedal was going to go through the bulkhead.

Anyway, the AA recovered the car and it’s now at local Audi dealer for diagnostics. At the time there was no warning given, no indication that the brakes were faulty and no warning lights on dashboard.

Has anyone had or heard of this problem with the new 8V 2017 plate S3?

Thanks in advance for any posts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't help I'm afraid and not heard of it happening before but it's very worrying.
Just glad it didn't cause your daughter to have an accident and that she's ok.
Hope Audi solve it completely and quickly as it's a serious defect.

Reactions: sve170 and Flying Scotsman
Hi all
24hrs ago my daughters new 17 plate S3 brakes ‘slammed on’ during normal driving?
Luckily it was late at night, only doing approx 25mph and no cars behind at the time.
She received quite a scare, then found that the brake pedal (its s-tronic) was stuck solid to the floor?
Engine was still running at this time, when she then pushed on the accelerator the brakes released and was able to take the car forward and park up.

But when she applied the brakes during parking the brake pedal stuck down solid again. She was now unable to release it at all. I arrived and I could not release the brake at all, it was solid.
I also could not move the S-tronic lever it was also solid.

We called the AA to assist in recovering the car, during the wait I tried again to release the brake and managed to do it but I applied so much pressure onto it I thought the pedal was going to go through the bulkhead.

Anyway, the AA recovered the car and it’s now at local Audi dealer for diagnostics. At the time there was no warning given, no indication that the brakes were faulty and no warning lights on dashboard.

Has anyone had or heard of this problem with the new 8V 2017 plate S3?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Update on the S3 from Audi dealer.
Car did not record any faults or codes, all wheels and brakes removed, inspection carried out and no issues found.
However we went to the dealer to get an item out of the car, on opening the drivers door I noticed the brake pedal was very low down, entered the car and it was solid. I could not move it and the S-Tronic gear level would not move, also stuck solid, then out of nowhere a warning came on the dashboard showing ‘PLACE GEAR LEVER INTO PARK POSITION’ very strange as it was already in ‘PARK’

The car was then taken back into service bay to see if a fault code has appeared.
Will keep this post updated with developments.

Serious defect indeed and would make even myself weary of driving the car in case it happened again, even when you know it's been fixed.

Reactions: Audi Bairn and sve170
That's horrendous!
I hope Audi saw the pedal down low? What did they say?

Don't accept it back until its been fixed for sure and I'd get Audi to do some decent mileage in it, to make sure it doesn't happen again... better happening to them than your daughter.

It's worrying, the cars have so much control these days. Cruise control has the power enlisted upon it to apply the brakes, could be a signalling issue like that causing the brake servo to lock on. Audi need to look beyond mechanical issues, especially if she wasn't applying any pressure to the pedal.

Reactions: KenL and sve170
For such a dangerous issue I would consider rejecting the vehicle immediately.

Reactions: Fatbloke, sve170 and mikemod
For such a dangerous issue I would consider rejecting the vehicle immediately.

Agree a very dangerous issue, it’s potentially an issue that Audi are not aware of and could have consequences for all the FL models.
I will keep updating the post as I get any feedback from dealer or Audi.

Reactions: Audi Bairn
Agree a very dangerous issue, it’s potentially an issue that Audi are not aware of and could have consequences for all the FL models.
I will keep updating the post as I get any feedback from dealer or Audi.

Further update on brake issue.
My Audi dealer contacted Audi technical in Germany this morning with all the details of the event.
Several hours later Germany have replied that due to the nature of the issue they have raised it to the next level of technical expertise, so it’s a wait and see at the moment. Hopefully some good feedback next week.

Will keep updating this post as required until a solution is found.

Reactions: KenL and DrEskimo
Further update on brake issue.
My Audi dealer contacted Audi technical in Germany this morning with all the details of the event.
Several hours later Germany have replied that due to the nature of the issue they have raised it to the next level of technical expertise, so it’s a wait and see at the moment. Hopefully some good feedback next week.

Will keep updating this post as required until a solution is found.

Wow, my car has spent several weeks at Audi over the last 7 months and it was never raised haha! On a serious note, I hope you get a solution soon... we are all curious what’s happened!

Reactions: sve170
I've read something similar like this of late tbh by a few other people, but I can't recall the exacting situation.

I've read something similar like this of late tbh by a few other people, but I can't recall the exacting situation.

Ok that’s good as at the moment my dealer is stumped, can you try and recall where you heard or seen it and reply to this thread, it’s maybe the break I am needing.

Not many things make the pedal stick down, usually master cylinder failure or on it's way.

Not many things make the pedal stick down, usually master cylinder failure or on it's way.

The S3 is only 4mth old, with no issues up to now. Dealer has been all over it for two days, no fault codes, no issues with the braking system. It’s all good so far but completely stumped as to why the brakes ‘slammed on’ during normal driving.

Only few things control brakes, pedal, mc, abs module & any possibly short that would signal abs module to act.

Unless it has acc or any other safety tech fitted.

But pedal to the floor regardless how old is common on allot of cars to be mc failure, so go from figure I guess.

Do you have adaptive cruise control fitted ??

Reactions: sve170 and Blurtar
I drove a DAF truck a few weeks ago that decided to slam the brakes on when on an A road.

The camera/adaptive cruise system mistook a bollard on a central refuge for a hazard in front.

I didn’t have cruise engaged but the system must still detect potential hazards.

I drove a DAF truck a few weeks ago that decided to slam the brakes on when on an A road.

The camera/adaptive cruise system mistook a bollard on a central refuge for a hazard in front.

I didn’t have cruise engaged but the system must still detect potential hazards.

Agree a scary moment. My previous car before the S3 was the Golf R also had it from new. I had read on the forums about this system suddenly putting the brakes on. I always used it but within the ACC menu there was the option for a ‘warning only’ I tried it out and it worked perfect with the dashboard flashing bright red telling me basically collision imminent. But it did not auto activate the brakes, and allowed me to brake as required.

The S3 is only 4mth old, with no issues up to now. Dealer has been all over it for two days, no fault codes, no issues with the braking system. It’s all good so far but completely stumped as to why the brakes ‘slammed on’ during normal driving.

This means nothing unfortunately, my S3 had a new steering rack after 4 months.

Any update on this?

Apologies for lack of updates but due to the nature of the issue / occurance it has been escalated from local Audi dealer to Audi UK and now Audi Germany. So far allegedly no faults have been found by local dealer technicians, but myself and daughter have discovered something regarding our dealer which at the moment I cannot and will not make any comments on social media. One thing I will mention is Audi Germany are sending a technician to the UK to take over the fault finding investigation.
I will promise that as soon as we find out what went wrong or failed on a 4month old FL S3 i will post the full details on this forum.

Reactions: Fatbloke
recently my car dash lite up with acc and other related functions of the adaptive unit was in error. I turned off the car and turned it back on and it works without the dash lights. first time it ever did that.

Apologies for lack of updates but due to the nature of the issue / occurance it has been escalated from local Audi dealer to Audi UK and now Audi Germany. So far allegedly no faults have been found by local dealer technicians, but myself and daughter have discovered something regarding our dealer which at the moment I cannot and will not make any comments on social media. One thing I will mention is Audi Germany are sending a technician to the UK to take over the fault finding investigation.
I will promise that as soon as we find out what went wrong or failed on a 4month old FL S3 i will post the full details on this forum.

Oh wow!! That shows how seriously Audi are taking it, I am very glad to hear that.
If it was me, I'd be going to speak to the chap myself.

No wonder Audi are taking it seriously - it's the sort of thing that triggers a recall.

Speculating, my 1.4 COD A3 (and doubtless many VAG cars) has a feature that applies the brakes when the car thinks it's been in an accident (I guess to reduce likelihood of being pushed along into something else). I wonder if that got triggered in error?

I've got ACC on my S3 and although it does control the brakes it doesn't actually depress the brake pedal. It's very strange that the pedal depresses and returns on its own.

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

I had the exact same experience with my pre facelift A3 1.8TFSI. S tronic. Again Audi had no clue what caused it. I ended up replacing my gear selector and it solved the problem completely! As I didn't want to get myself into a hefty bill with Audi as mine was out of warranty

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I had the exact same experience with my pre facelift A3 1.8TFSI. S tronic. Again Audi had no clue what caused it. I ended up replacing my gear selector and it solved the problem completely! As I didn't want to get myself into a hefty bill with Audi as mine was out of warranty

Jake, that’s interesting I will pass this on to dealer and Audi UK.

My personal diagnosis was that the gear selector had malfunctioned and assumed I had slammed the car into P. Just felt like an emergency stop that I didn't do! And ever since the selector was extremely stiff. I managed to get hold of a 2nd hand replacement selector online and fitted it myself. Cost £80 and a weekend of my labour. But fantastic when you consider what the dealers would charge even to look at it as I wasn't under warranty! Hope you get a resolution soon

My personal diagnosis was that the gear selector had malfunctioned and assumed I had slammed the car into P. Just felt like an emergency stop that I didn't do! And ever since the selector was extremely stiff. I managed to get hold of a 2nd hand replacement selector online and fitted it myself. Cost £80 and a weekend of my labour. But fantastic when you consider what the dealers would charge even to look at it as I wasn't under warranty! Hope you get a resolution soon

Since the incident we have always thought that a malfunction had occurred along the lines that the car ‘brain’ had received a message implying that the S-tronic gearbox had been placed into ‘P’ hence the reason for the brakes being applied by the vehicle.
As soon as we have info back from Audi I will update the post, this incident may force Audi to do a re-call on the FL S3’s.

Since the incident we have always thought that a malfunction had occurred along the lines that the car ‘brain’ had received a message implying that the S-tronic gearbox had been placed into ‘P’ hence the reason for the brakes being applied by the vehicle.
As soon as we have info back from Audi I will update the post, this incident may force Audi to do a re-call on the FL S3’s.

Sounds like it's not just the facelifts then! Mine is a 2013 1.8TFSI Quattro and I know the gear selector mechanism is the same on the s tronics. As mine was from an S3. I'd be interested as to what they come back with. Mine had only done 32k when it happened earlier this year

The crying shame of doing it yourself was that it has to come out from beneath the car! Had to remove the prop, exhaust and various heat shields to get it out!
c2b139194f6bd07dc593f4b75b378c70.jpg
1a247eaba97daa8cbbcd004a1f0207a7.jpg

The crying shame of doing it yourself was that it has to come out from beneath the car! Had to remove the prop, exhaust and various heat shields to get it out!
c2b139194f6bd07dc593f4b75b378c70.jpg
1a247eaba97daa8cbbcd004a1f0207a7.jpg

Another thing to add! My car showed absolutely 0 fault codes

Hi Mate, did you get anywhere with this. What's Audi said about it?

Hi Mate, did you get anywhere with this. What's Audi said about it?

Hi Jake, my daughter got her S3 back just a few days ago, 5 weeks with local Audi dealer including a visit from an Audi UK Technician to also work on the car. Very soon I will be putting up a very detailed post with the complete saga we have had with her 5 month old FL S3. The post will be quite a long one so once I get a chance I will get it onto the forum.
I won’t hold back on what I think of Audi UK or my dealer, having bought 5 brand new Audi’s in the past 4yrs including an S1 and the two latest cars being high spec FL S3’s it did not make a jot.
So stay tuned for the full gory details.

Reactions: 4K, Reggieboy71, MattSedg and 5 others
Hi Jake, my daughter got her S3 back just a few days ago, 5 weeks with local Audi dealer including a visit from an Audi UK Technician to also work on the car. Very soon I will be putting up a very detailed post with the complete saga we have had with her 5 month old FL S3. The post will be quite a long one so once I get a chance I will get it onto the forum.
I won’t hold back on what I think of Audi UK or my dealer, having bought 5 brand new Audi’s in the past 4yrs including an S1 and the two latest cars being high spec FL S3’s it did not make a jot.
So stay tuned for the full gory details.

Sounds horrendous. A lot of people seem to have had issues with facelift S3's. Glad to say, other than the nuisance of rattles, I've never had anything go wrong with my PFL S3, it's just a snoring, boring car to drive.

Good evening everyone, a few days ago I promised that I would post the full details of my daughters S3 ‘Brakes slamming on’ during normal driving issues.
The car was with our Audi dealer for 5 weeks getting looked at, tested, road tested and finally on instruction from Audi UK they replaced the ABS Pump along with all the relevant electronic components, my dealer described the components as the ABS ‘brain’.
Well well tonight it happened again, but this time we had just driven the car, went into a shop for approx 10 minutes, back in the car now we find the brake pedal stuck down and solid, we now cannot start the S3. The VC is telling us to place the car into ‘Park’
It’s in Park, we cannot move the S-tronic gear lever it’s solid.
So this post is being sent Live from a car park in the city we live in, the AA recovery vehicle is in its way, but the problem we have is it has to go on the back of the truck, but with the brakes stuck solid it will be impossible.
This is turning into a nightmare, I will hopefully post later with an update, wish me luck.
Our dealer is closed just now but tomorrow morning if we can get the car moved we will confront Audi, reject the car and ask for full 100% refund.

Reactions: AudiNutta, MattSedg and Audi Bairn
Absolutely. Do NOT entertain them attempting to fix it.

unbelievable really, anything other than what you are asking is unacceptable

good job you weren't in the middle of traffic when the car f**ked itself, for lack of better words

Reactions: AudiNutta, Audi Bairn and BarryG79
****** hell mate that don’t sound good!
All the best for tomorrow.

Reactions: MattSedg and Audi Bairn
Good luck for tomorrow, hope tonight gets sorted easily for you. Keeping tabs on this post as I’m interested to see how it pans out!

Reactions: MattSedg, BarryG79 and Audi Bairn