S3 Brake Disk Upgrade

MikeParkin

It's my birthday
Reaction score
What manufacturer options are out there.

I'm currently looking at TAROX front and rears but trying to see what else is out there rather than a BBK.

ECS do a nice set of drilled and slotted two piece discs. I think @Rob2k68 has a set.

Reactions: Rob2k68
I do indeed would recommend them especially in combo with a pad upgrade (running yellowstuff), stainless steel lines and decent fluid. I think this puts me in good stead for the big turbo LoL :-

ECS 2 piece

IMG 2993

Reactions: azibux1, sjbarneS3 and MikeParkin
They look well smart Rob! Shame Audi don't do drilled or grooved as standard like Mercedes seem to on everything, just makes it look that extra bit special I think.

Reactions: azibux1
VW clubsport S brakes will fit, they are alloy bell and drilled.

As for the ecs discs, does anyone else think they look like they are fitted the wrong way round?
I'm not saying they are as they are fitted the same way on the ecs site.

Reactions: Flatcap and Rob2k68
Do you have a link to where you got yours from @Rob2k68

I don't think they're listed but if you message Al from Awesome GTI he'll sort you out. Done 15k miles on them now no issues.

As for the ecs discs, does anyone else think they look like they are fitted the wrong way round?

LoL was told the grooves should 'dig' and not 'brush'. The discs are handed and come clearly labelled LHS and RHS. Most cars that come factory supplied with grooves discs (A45 AMG) have all 4 the same so look different side to side. It's not only the slots that are handed but the cooling airflow into the vented grooves in the centre of the disc.

Reactions: Flying Scotsman and MikeParkin

The clubsport discs are actually the same for either side so one will actually be backwards.

You could have had my rears! - just sold them on ebay (for about half the price of when they were new :blownose:- only have 3k miles on them. I had yellow stuff with mine and wasnt overly impressed with the added stopping ability. If you're going to upgrade them i think you've got to look at a big brake upgrade to do it justice. Clearly the aesthetic of a drilled and slotted is a vast improvement on the stock. I suppose if you have already upgraded the fronts and you want to continue the look then this is the most cost effective way of achieving this.

You could have had my rears! - just sold them on ebay (for about half the price of when they were new :blownose:- only have 3k miles on them. I had yellow stuff with mine and wasnt overly impressed with the added stopping ability. If you're going to upgrade them i think you've got to look at a big brake upgrade to do it justice. Clearly the aesthetic of a drilled and slotted is a vast improvement on the stock. I suppose if you have already upgraded the fronts and you want to continue the look then this is the most cost effective way of achieving this.

What were you running on the front ?

Very impressed with mine in combination with stainless steel hoses and decent fluid. Majority of the braking is done at the front so rears is largely aesthetic.

Very impressed with mine in combination with stainless steel hoses and decent fluid. Majority of the braking is done at the front so rears is largely aesthetic.
When you say you were very impressed what were you impressed with the performance or just the looks?

When you say you were very impressed what were you impressed with the performance or just the looks?

Performance - I'm stage 2 and it hauls me to a stop with confidence.

Reactions: MikeParkin
Yet you say 'majority of the braking is done at the front so largely aesthetic'. IMO id put the money into a front set first.

Reactions: RSS-S3 and Rob2k68
Yet you say 'majority of the braking is done at the front so largely aesthetic'. IMO id put the money into a front set first.

Yes I agree or do all 4 at the same time which is what I did - if you were running stock fronts I doubt you'd see much benefit.

Reactions: Flatcap

Two words missing from your quote "rears is" - changes things a bit. :hi:

Yes I agree or do all 4 at the same time which is what I did - if you were running stock fronts I doubt you'd see much benefit.
When i bought mine they didn't do the fronts (oddly). I bought mine to try to offset the front bbk which were possibly causing disproportionately in the braking. Didn't solve this but atleast matched the fronts (drilled and slotted)

Last edited:
Two words missing from your quote "rears is" - changes things a bit. :hi:
i think rob2k68 understood what i meant. That they would improve the braking performance if installed just to the front is not in question IMO but i would question the net benefit (over leaving as stock) in upgrading the rears for performance reasons alone. Beauty is definitely in symmetry and i would be the last to argue against a matching set - just not for performance that is all.

When i bought mine they didn't do the fronts (oddly). I bought mine to try to offset the front bbk which were possibly causing disproportionately in the braking. Didn't solve this but atleast matched the fronts!

Ah gotcha - perhaps not a fair criticism then of the ECS discs given your setup. Had mine on for 15,000 miles with no issues imported front and rear discs via Awesome Gti.

Ah gotcha - perhaps not a fair criticism then of the ECS discs given your setup. Had mine on for 15,000 miles with no issues imported front and rear discs via Awesome Gti.
I didn't have ECS front and rears no but they didn't add much if anything to the braking performance that was my finding.

I have the same set up as @Rob2k68 minus Yellow Stuff pads (I have Red Stuff from EBC).
I find they take a little to warm up, but once done they have a nice progressive feel....sometimes I do feel the need for BBK when I really step on it hard, but for Stage 1 and most Stage 2 situations they're good....if I go hybrid/bigger turbo route later I think I'd get a BBK

Errrrrrrrrr...

True-ish, but this is largely misunderstood part of braking dynamics. How to explain though....

The limit of absolute maximum braking power on an individual wheel is actually the limit of grip between that wheels tyre and the road surface. So when you brake the wheel up to that limit, you have achieved 100% braking power. Since your car has four of these wheels, to realise 100% of the cars total braking power, you need to brake all of the wheels up to 100% of their individual limits at the same time. This is key, since any wheels not pulling their weight (no pun intended) increase braking distances. The brakes at the front tend to do more work because of dynamic weight transfer, when you brake the car is effectively leaning on its front wheels. A tyres ultimate grip on the world is very much related to how much weight is pushing down on it, so even though the car has four identical tyres on it, because the front tyres carry more wieght under conditions of dynamic weight transfer they have more grip and they can brake harder than the rear tyres, but we shouldn't underestimate how much of the work can be done and is done by the rear brakes.

Let's take a hypothetical 2000lb car with perfect 50:50 weight distribution (don't worry, it's not a BMW), so that at a standstill it carries 1000lbs on the front axle, and 1000lbs on the rear axle. For the sake of easy maths it's got a 100 inch wheelbase like an old Land Rover, and a centre of gravity height of 25 inches above the axle. If the car brakes at 1.0g then dynamic wieght transfer will put 1500lbs over the front axle, and 500lbs over the rear. The front brakes then can brake 3 times harder than the rears can*. But here's the thing, since the rears are still carrying a quarter of the 2000lb cars weight, the rears can still contribute significantly.

On old cars the manufacturer sized the front and rear brakes to build this balance in, and adjusted it on the fly by fitting a load sending bias valve thst would let the rear brakes work a bit harder when there was loads of wieght in the car. The main thing for them to avoid though, was the rear brakes locking before the front ones did. This is really bad for your panelwork, so manufacturers tended to dial the rear brakes down a bit... Newer cars adjust rear brake balance using the ABS systems inbuilt pressure controls instead of an old fashioned load sensing valve, but the methodology is still much the same.

Interesting things start happening when you play with ride heights too, which might be of interest to big brake kit buyers. It's a part of chassis dynamics that gives me a headache, but I'll try to explain;

Take the same hypothetical 2000lb car as above, and (as I believe the youth of today would say) slam it.

Drop it, lighten it, mod it, and throw out your bitchin 'choonz and megawatt subwoofers so the centre of gravity height is now only 10" over the axle. Now when we brake at 1.0g, the dynamic wieght transfer is reduced so we have much less dive and a lovely flat attitude braking into the corners, in fact, we only have 1200lbs over the front axle which might be bit of a disappointment if you've spent all your dough on massive front brakes, as they're now doing a lot less work to generate the same 1.0g of deceleration. The slack is instead picked up by the rear brakes, which have been saddled with an extra 300lbs (60%) of extra weight, offering the rear tyres access to much more grip that they can use to haul the car to a stop.

Except of course we're not making use of that extra grip at all, because either we haven't modified the brake balance to suit the car's new dynamics, or even worse we've added vast amounts of brake to the front axle, and really thrown the brake balance forward. We'll still be braking the front axle to its absolute limit of grip, but that limit that is now reduced because we've altered the dynamic weight transfer and aren't putting the same load on the front axle anymore, but the rear brakes will still be braking like they've only 500lbs on them.

In short, we're braking the front wheels to 100% of their individual limits of grip, but those limits are lower than they were before we lowered the suspension. The rear brakes aren't taking advantage of their additional capacity, and are only utilising 60% of the available grip. If we've added big brakes at the front, then the pedal pressure will be lower, the balance altered, and whilst the front tyres are at the very limits of adhesion, the rears are hardly even breaking a sweat.

Result? Our lowered and upgraded hypothetical car doesn't stop nearly as well as it used to...

Doing the same thing to an S3 won't have quite such a dramatic effect as lowering my make believe one-tonne Landy by 15 inches, but if you're modifying for reasons of increased performance, it's definitely worth thinking about.

*assuming tyres with very linear responses for the sake of simplicity and ease of understanding...

Reactions: SILVAF0XX, PanamaS3, jungle650 and 1 other person
Errrrrrrrrr...

True-ish, but this is largely misunderstood part of braking dynamics. How to explain though....

The limit of absolute maximum braking power on an individual wheel is actually the limit of grip between that wheels tyre and the road surface. So when you brake the wheel up to that limit, you have achieved 100% braking power. Since your car has four of these wheels, to realise 100% of the cars total braking power, you need to brake all of the wheels up to 100% of their individual limits at the same time. This is key, since any wheels not pulling their weight (no pun intended) increase braking distances. The brakes at the front tend to do more work because of dynamic weight transfer, when you brake the car is effectively leaning on its front wheels. A tyres ultimate grip on the world is very much related to how much weight is pushing down on it, so even though the car has four identical tyres on it, because the front tyres carry more wieght under conditions of dynamic weight transfer they have more grip and they can brake harder than the rear tyres, but we shouldn't underestimate how much of the work can be done and is done by the rear brakes.

Let's take a hypothetical 2000lb car with perfect 50:50 weight distribution (don't worry, it's not a BMW), so that at a standstill it carries 1000lbs on the front axle, and 1000lbs on the rear axle. For the sake of easy maths it's got a 100 inch wheelbase like an old Land Rover, and a centre of gravity height of 25 inches above the axle. If the car brakes at 1.0g then dynamic wieght transfer will put 1500lbs over the front axle, and 500lbs over the rear. The front brakes then can brake 3 times harder than the rears can*. But here's the thing, since the rears are still carrying a quarter of the 2000lb cars weight, the rears can still contribute significantly.

On old cars the manufacturer sized the front and rear brakes to build this balance in, and adjusted it on the fly by fitting a load sending bias valve thst would let the rear brakes work a bit harder when there was loads of wieght in the car. The main thing for them to avoid though, was the rear brakes locking before the front ones did. This is really bad for your panelwork, so manufacturers tended to dial the rear brakes down a bit... Newer cars adjust rear brake balance using the ABS systems inbuilt pressure controls instead of an old fashioned load sensing valve, but the methodology is still much the same.

Interesting things start happening when you play with ride heights too, which might be of interest to big brake kit buyers. It's a part of chassis dynamics that gives me a headache, but I'll try to explain;

Take the same hypothetical 2000lb car as above, and (as I believe the youth of today would say) slam it.

Drop it, lighten it, mod it, and throw out your bitchin 'choonz and megawatt subwoofers so the centre of gravity height is now only 10" over the axle. Now when we brake at 1.0g, the dynamic wieght transfer is reduced so we have much less dive and a lovely flat attitude braking into the corners, in fact, we only have 1200lbs over the front axle which might be bit of a disappointment if you've spent all your dough on massive front brakes, as they're now doing a lot less work to generate the same 1.0g of deceleration. The slack is instead picked up by the rear brakes, which have been saddled with an extra 300lbs (60%) of extra weight, offering the rear tyres access to much more grip that they can use to haul the car to a stop.

Except of course we're not making use of that extra grip at all, because either we haven't modified the brake balance to suit the car's new dynamics, or even worse we've added vast amounts of brake to the front axle, and really thrown the brake balance forward. We'll still be braking the front axle to its absolute limit of grip, but that limit that is now reduced because we've altered the dynamic weight transfer and aren't putting the same load on the front axle anymore, but the rear brakes will still be braking like they've only 500lbs on them.

In short, we're braking the front wheels to 100% of their individual limits of grip, but those limits are lower than they were before we lowered the suspension. The rear brakes aren't taking advantage of their additional capacity, and are only utilising 60% of the available grip. If we've added big brakes at the front, then the pedal pressure will be lower, the balance altered, and whilst the front tyres are at the very limits of adhesion, the rears are hardly even breaking a sweat.

Result? Our lowered and upgraded hypothetical car doesn't stop nearly as well as it used to...

Doing the same thing to an S3 won't have quite such a dramatic effect as lowering my make believe one-tonne Landy by 15 inches, but if you're modifying for reasons of increased performance, it's definitely worth thinking about.

*assuming tyres with very linear responses for the sake of simplicity and ease of understanding...

Yep that's exactly why I didn't go the BBK route so not to effect the brake balance looking to instead upgrade the original discs, loose some unsprung mass and on a budget of around £1200 for the lot.

Reactions: GSB and PanamaS3
Errrrrrrrrr...

So Grant with a well informed post such as this and many others I presume your day to day profession is .... a doctor ?:sunglasses: ha ha ... as always a balanced (excuse the pun ) and informative read.

Jungle

Reactions: SILVAF0XX, GSB and Rob2k68
So Grant with a well informed post such as this and many others I presume your day to day profession is .... a doctor ?:sunglasses: ha ha ... as always a balanced (excuse the pun ) and informative read.

Jungle
'well informed post'. Informed by what? Don't be informed by the theory be informed by experiencing the reality - preferably first hand if not then via a group of like minded people on forums such as these.

I love the hypothetical - its a land where you get to speculate with impunity - only problem is things tend to stay there until someone tries them out.

I was waiting for lecture pants (aka minister for anti-modification) to come along and spoil the fun. If he's so against modification then why buy an S3 - a modified A3 right? In fact why stop there...a bike? Is there a group for non-modders on here?

"Do it Do it Do it!"

'well informed post'. Informed by what? Don't be informed by the theory be informed by experiencing the reality - preferably first hand if not then via a group of like minded people on forums such as these.

I love the hypothetical - its a land where you get to speculate with impunity - only problem is things tend to stay there until someone tries them out.

I was waiting for lecture pants (aka minister for anti-modification) to come along and spoil the fun. If he's so against modification then why buy an S3 - a modified A3 right? In fact why stop there...a bike? Is there a group for non-modders on here?

"Do it Do it Do it!"

Seriously?

So the basic laws of motion and general physics, defined, explored and verified over centuries, and good enough to fire a probe at a position in deep space and land it on a comet that won't actually be there for 10 years aren't good enough for you? And let's not forget, these are the very same laws and principles that brought you the car in its current form in the first place and mean we're not discussing upgrades for your Ox cart, or arguing about which god sent us the magical gift of fire.

This is basic mathmatics, as applied to the laws of motion, and it hasn't been "theory" for centuries. As a civilisation we've grown beyond the point where we trust our luck to some invisible sky pixie or place the operation of an electric lightbulb in the category of "sorcery". We are enlightened, intellectual, and we learn from others. Thus and we can easily predict motion and behavioural dynamics through mathematical modelling, using the combined learning and experience of generations of engineers, researchers and scientists who have done a bit more than arbitrarily declare other people's knowledge as mere speculation before spouting a load of breathtakingly ignorant rubbish about "The Minister for Anti Modification" and just doing it anyway, as though repeating the mistakes of the past will somehow result in a completely different outcome.

This stuff has been used to measure and define the kinematic behaviour of road and race vehicles for the best part of a century. It's proven, it's sound, and it's fact. No matter how much you stick your fingers in your ears and shout "Lalalalalalalalal I'm not listening to Mr Lecture Pants!", it's still fact.

This coming from a guy who's idea of modifying is giving your car a ‘special’ polish. Have you got any experience of these modifications with your S3? Maybe you ARE a closet modifier who fettles in the privacy of his own garage in the middle of the night? As a engineering post grad please don't patronize me with 'man didn't get to the moon without...speech'. These guys just want to know whether the EBCs are any good or not - i can do that in 100 words, not 1000.

I would say 80%+ members of this site have modified their cars in some way. Clearly the older the cars get and therefore out of their warranty period this trend increases so id expect to see that increasing dramatically for the S3 8V. Why do you insist on putting out your anti-modification rhetoric on threads that are clearly modification related. Your threads seem to follow the same format - loads of science concluding in 'modification is not the way to go'. That you can’t or don’t want to modify your motor I can respect but why do you insist on participating in threads that aren’t relevant for you?

Last edited:
This coming from a guy who's idea of modifying is giving your car a ‘special’ polish. Have you got any experience of these modifications with your S3? Maybe you ARE a closet modifier who fettles in the privacy of his own garage in the middle of the night? As a engineering post grad please don't patronize me with 'man didn't get to the moon without...speech'. These guys just want to know whether the EBCs are any good or not - i can do that in 100 words, not 1000.

You really are quite an obnoxious soul aren't you flatcap.

If you don't wish to read the things I write because you find them too long, then don't read them. Hopefully others will find them more useful. Click on my profile and you'll find a little button marked 'ignore' that will spare you the misery of ever having to read my missives again.

As a supposed engineering post grad I'd expect you to understand the desire and need both to learn and to impart knowledge. I'd also expect you to have learned to form your judgements based on evidence and observation.

Evidence suggests otherwise though;

Your judgements about me, are wrong.
Your suggestion that the information I have related in this thread is wrong, is wrong.
Your suggestion that I am "anti mod", is wrong.
Your suggestion I have never modified a car, is wrong.
Your personal insults, are wrong.
Your entire demeanour in fact, is wrong.

Given this trend, I think I've managed to condense my reasoning for you into two words that are hopefully succinct enough to pass muster in your drive for word based frugality;

You're wrong.

Last edited:
Reactions: SILVAF0XX
Didn't read - I gave up half way.
lalala.gif
la la la la.

Yep definitely a frustrated fettler!

Last edited:
Didn't read - it gave up half way.
lalala.gif
la la la la

Yep definitely a frustrated fettler!
How very predictable. A failed link pic and a complete lack of counter.

"Didn't read it" is clearly a theme that extends to your tenure in this very thread. Take post #2 for instance...

Reactions: pburv and SILVAF0XX