S3, bored after 6 months...HELP!

For less than that maybe a Nissan 370Z they're really not bad to drive and feel fairly exciting, good balance of power and rwd grip. Not really special at all though,

Looks like a beast :)

media

media

Spill spill spill !
lol the Audi service manager asked me the other day what I thought of the new Astra, I told him "I'm driving an Audi, think that says everything" :D

Never know who reads this, so got to be a bit careful ;)

Reactions: richinsoton and Kugaman1
Best looking Audi an all... *runs and hides*

They are though, its as simple as that. imo possibly one of the best looking cars on the roads full stop.

I think its ridiculous to not be able to decide what one wants and then come to a forum and whine. its a bad look and is totally absurd. if you dont like the car then get something else. period

i think its ridiculous when people are incapable of being able to determine the the simple differences between "whine" and "advice"
apart from yourself, every other post has given me not only an insight into other thought, opinions and other vehicles but more importantly understanding and advice.

lol the Audi service manager asked me the other day what I thought of the new Astra, I told him "I'm driving an Audi, think that says everything" :D

Never know who reads this, so got to be a bit careful ;)

the new astra K is better than the Corsa E VXR - worst ver I've ever ****** driven! and the astra, id rather have needles in my eyes...
unfortunately you work in the UK factory, but id love to be over see, seeing as the new maloo and vxr8 have been released.
I've all but flat out refused to replace any more zafiras blow motors :tearsofjoy:

Reactions: James 123
Iv recently done the apr stage 1 on my s3. Gained an extra 125lb/ft of torque and 65hp. which to me has made the car more agressive, responsive and obviously alot faster.

If i put my foot down in say 2nd gear coming off a roundabout or coming out off a junction, the back end pops out no problem. Previous to the tune, I couldnt get that to happen.

though 600 quid for a remap sounds rediculous, the difference in how the car feels now is well worth the money i think.

can anyone else shed any light on this comment...
its very interesting, in a pleasing way.

everyone will always comment on how fast it makes the car feel but never are there comments regarding how it effects the handling. so thanks for mentioning that.

Here's my two penneth, have you considered an M3, after having spent an afternoon with Tiff at Thruxten a couple of years ago I cannot seriously imagine getting bored with an M3. For a dead cert you'll never get the best out of it without being a highly skilled racing driver. I'm not suggesting it's necessarily hard to drive but it's so capable that its limits are beyond ordinary human beings.
If you cant afford a new one there are some amazing low mileage ones on Autotrader (mainly at dealerships) for what is little money.

The other car to think about is a Cayman perhaps?

Both are in a different league to an S3 as far as driver satisfaction.

Reactions: RO65ERS and veeeight
If you are tempted to stay with the S3 and breathe on it a bit, I can confirm it has transformed my car. I've gone the MTM Cantronic route for a variety of reasons, love the extra power/torque whilst the drive/delivery remains almost factory feeling. As the above post mentioned, I've also found it a bit more playful due to the extra grunt along with Eibach springs - it's getting closer to its limits and it's a far more fun experience as a result!
Haven't driven much else, although can say that im now able to see off an A45 and M135i. Hope this helps...

Reactions: Rob2k68 and xpoweruk
Corsa E VXR - worst ver I've ever ****** driven!

My mates lad bought a brand new Corsa VXR, on the first day he had it he did a quick gear change and the gear stick fell off!!! It hadn't been bolted down properly! God knows how it had been missed, jobs like that are done with an electric error proof gun, if it goes through the work station without getting the correct number of green lights (means it's tight) the track stops until it has been tightened...or the override button has been used! Then 13 months later the engine packed up on him, he got that sorted, sold it and bought a BMW 3 series.

@Flibble has gone from a S3 to a GT86 .... perhaps he should tell us more!
I love it. Hands down the best car I've had. Yes the interior rattles like a kids toy, but the driving experience more than makes up for that. Compared to the S3 it has loads more feel for what the car is doing, and a really nice sense of balance in the chassis. And while it's not really my thing, you can get the back end out without even trying (LSD comes standard, turn in and foot down in second = drift).
It's not as fast out of the box, but it's not exactly slow either (don't believe the quoted figures, it's not that bad). It is 200 bhp in a 1.25 ton car after all. Once I bolt a super charger on in a couple of years it should be around 280 bhp. ;)
The seats and driving position are much better too (comparing super sport seats to the half leather half alcantara seats in my GT86).
It's somewhat cheaper to run as well, insurance is much the same, but I get better mpg, and it has cheaper consumables, not to mention much lower depreciation. 5 year warranty doesn't hurt either!
The main downside is the boot hatch is tiny. The boot itself is not too small, but it's hard to use as the hatch is so small. Oh and the rear seats might as well not be there.
One other nice thing is the GT86 community is really into modding cars for track use, which I prefer to the dub scene that VAG cars have.
Also, it's a car people notice. Few people commented about my S3; with the GT86 I get comments all the time, even down to people in petrol stations noticing it.

id rather a 370 nismo than a gt86!
I'd try both, they're somewhat different beasts. The 370z is pretty lardy compared to the GT86, it's packing an extra 250-300 kg after all.

Reactions: veeeight
I'd love to know where you guys drive these cars ? I went out today for a play with my S3 , and hardly find any road without queues of traffic. Quick burst then traffic. Followed by 30 mph limit.

Was different on a bike , could always get past the queues.

Would be interesting to try one on the track. As an everyday car the S3 fits the bill. For serious performance it would have to be a bike.
I walk past a MV every day and drool .
Good luck with your hunt....

Reactions: batch
I live in Cheshire and drive down B roads a lot. They are usually quiet enough for a good blast. I had a nice drive down the A41 yesterday too, it was clear for miles, I had a Merc CLA following me and we were rolling along nicely.

Track days aren't too expensive either, depending on how hard you rag the car.

Reactions: veeeight
I'd love to know where you guys drive these cars ? I went out today for a play with my S3 , and hardly find any road without queues of traffic. Quick burst then traffic. Followed by 30 mph limit.

Was different on a bike , could always get past the queues.

Would be interesting to try one on the track. As an everyday car the S3 fits the bill. For serious performance it would have to be a bike.
I walk past a MV every day and drool .
Good luck with your hunt....
I'm lucky to get weekdays off occasionally and live in the middle of a starfish of good B-Road routes. I still get regularly frustrated, although that red metal box with MTM across it definitely reduces the gap needed for a quick overtake...

I suppose living in the overcrowded SE means even B roads that i drive on are congested. It means even trying to use the performance of an S3 is not more than a short blast. I even slow down to 20 mph untiil something starts to come up behind me just so i can get a quick zap to catch the snail trail back up.
Oh well , i am still enjoying it and do still sneak out just to drive for driving sake, and four months in...

Reactions: Daveotto
Get rid of it and do what, be a bus w4nker. The reason for this post, is for advice on people who have changed, experienced or modified their s3 to make it worth their while.

If I was looking for nonsense I'd pop over to piston heads and listen to every tosser knowing everything about every vehicle on the road because they watched top gear once a week.

As many have said yes there are better.
But bang for buck it's an impressive car.
Yes I love it but it doesn't make me grin ear to ear everytime...yet I still turn around when I'm walking away from the parking lot to look at it.

If it means 10 to 15k extra for an rs3 which appears to have the only difference of dynamic exhaust and 65hp with the same level of understeer and grip, I may aswell go Apr with a full system for 2.5k all in.

If you like the S3 overall,and are prepared to "invest" in it(and I do say that with a bit of a laugh),then the answer is to work on fixing it's faults.

The excitement factor definitely improves by remapping the existing setup,and would improve a LOT with one of Simon's TTE hybrids.
Of course then you need to uprate the suspension and brakes,and you can see the slippery slope that I went down with the 8P.

You can get to 400ish bhp with the existing turbo,and Simon and his guys are getting into the 500s with their turbo,at a lower cost than the sort of thing I have,so it may be an avenue worth considering......

Reactions: RO65ERS
^ This

To get the best out of it, in addition to upping the power, you also have to change the suspension and brakes.

More power means faster drag races in between the corners, but with the standard dampers and springs, it just highlights their deficiencies at higher speeds/more demanding corners. And brake fade sets in quicker too .......

(But there isn't a lot you can do with the steering though)

Reactions: RO65ERS, Rob2k68 and S3Alex
I suppose living in the overcrowded SE means even B roads that i drive on are congested. It means even trying to use the performance of an S3 is not more than a short blast. I even slow down to 20 mph untiil something starts to come up behind me just so i can get a quick zap to catch the snail trail back up.
Oh well , i am still enjoying it and do still sneak out just to drive for driving sake, and four months in...
I am as well mate - whereabouts are you?

^ This

To get the best out of it, in addition to upping the power, you also have to change the suspension and brakes.

More power means faster drag races in between the corners, but with the standard dampers and springs, it just highlights their deficiencies at higher speeds/more demanding corners. And brake fade sets in quicker too .......

(But there isn't a lot you can do with the steering though)

Steering is always going to feel like a Playstation connecting you to the wheels as you rightly say.

It is possible to make the S3 handle well,stop well,and go very quickly indeed,but it's all a matter of how much you want to throw at it.
One thing I did learn through my Cosworth years is that you pretty much can make a silk purse out of a sow's ear,or indeed polish a t**d....not that it's either of those....

Reactions: RO65ERS, Flibble and veeeight
I think there must be a bunch of us there (perhaps the more mature owners?) that have no intention of buying and expensive car and then spending thousands on changeing it. Personally I'd much rather spend the money on buying something with the performance I'm looking for out of the box.
A new car is an expensive item, and i've found that making mods can reduce the resale value, put people off buying it when the time comes (as they feel that its been thrashed) stands to reduce the overal longevity of the mechanical components and risks losing very valuable warranty.

But that's my opinion, I'd rather buy an RS3 than buy an S3 and spend money on it. There's lots of high performance cars out there with very few miles on them that were built and tested with the stated power outputs and chassis components that (for me) mean a more complete vehicle even if it's not brand new.

I have no issue what so ever with those people who want to mod their vehicles, it's not wrong, I know it's a fascinating subject and can be a significant hobby providing hours of endless pleasure. But as my years continue to roll on physical issues stop me from spending hours in the garage. I'll buy it, clean it (OCD about clean it) and drive it. I'll let you young guys spend hours and hours with spanners and greasy finger nails.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201502100836493?maximum-mileage=up_to_10000_miles&sort=default&page=1&make=bmw&radius=1500&model=m3&search-target=usedcars&postcode=le672fw&onesearchad=used,nearlynew,new&price-to=35000&logcode=p

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201602100909044?maximum-mileage=up_to_10000_miles&radius=1500&make=porsche&onesearchad=used,nearlynew,new&price-to=35000&sort=default&search-target=usedcars&postcode=le672fw&page=1&logcode=p

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201411128922683?search-target=usedcars&radius=1500&make=bmw&maximum-mileage=up_to_10000_miles&postcode=le672fw&onesearchad=used,nearlynew,new&sort=default&page=1&model=m5&logcode=p

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif..._20000_miles&search-target=usedcars&logcode=p

Last edited:
Reactions: RO65ERS, richinsoton, Ignition1 and 4 others
Not sure if this has been covered but why not look at an older car such as a skyline GTR, carlton or cosworth? These can all have a thrill factor about them. Someone i knew had a 900 bhp supra that was a blast! So many other options out there or do you want to stay within the last 10 years at least lol.

Reactions: S3Alex
@steeve and @Eigdoog I totally agree....lots of us don't want to start hacking our cars around,and want better residuals etc,but lots of us like doing the exact opposite as well,and that's the choice.

Who knows...maybe I'll leave the next car alone...but I said that about this one....

Reactions: RO65ERS and sjbarneS3
@steeve and @Eigdoog I totally agree....lots of us don't want to start hacking our cars around,and want better residuals etc,but lots of us like doing the exact opposite as well,and that's the choice.

Who knows...maybe I'll leave the next car alone...but I said that about this one....
One of the many benefits of M-Cantronic...

One of the many benefits of M-Cantronic...

I know...the boxes do make a lot of sense for this market.

Wait till you guys can have a Syvecs....:hubbahubba:

Aren't they a lot of money? Obviously not in the sense of upgrading to an RS3 lol
Yes, eye-watering! But hugely impressive results, exceptionally good piece of kit - OEM harness and couplings used, and appears to tap/regulate a lot of different readings. It also comes off and back on again in - literally - two minutes, and comes with a fall back warranty. Will apparently adapt up to and including downpipe/sport cat and intake, according to QST. Not pushing quite the power of a stage 1 flash I shouldn't think, but near enough!

Reactions: DangerS3
To the Op, if you want to take advice from so called 'expert' members who aren't even capable of buying the right car for themselves you're more than welcome!!

Personally I'd stick to expert reviews, draw up a shortlist and go test drive them.

Reactions: RO65ERS, Ignition1, S3Alex and 4 others
Yes, eye-watering! But hugely impressive results, exceptionally good piece of kit - OEM harness and couplings used, and appears to tap/regulate a lot of different readings. It also comes off and back on again in - literally - two minutes, and comes with a fall back warranty. Will apparently adapt up to and including downpipe/sport cat and intake, according to QST. Not pushing quite the power of a stage 1 flash I shouldn't think, but near enough!

Well at least it offers a fair amount with it. If I was in the market I'd rather the flexibility of that over others then. Obviously unless you're going bespoke which I doubt a lot of people will due to warranty and stuff like that.

I agree, I wouldnt suggest that its wrong, just that it's not necessarily the answer for some of us.

Reactions: S3Alex and veeeight
Read the above review myself, very interesting. Both have their flaws, but me personally, who has a mk7 Golf R and just two months ago cancelled an s3 order...I look forward to placing a deposit on an a45 in the next 6 months. RS3 sounds sublime, but on the looks front...it leaves me a bit meh. But the aero pack and night pack on a mountain grey a45 is STUNNING!!!!!! IMO ;)

Reactions: RO65ERS and veeeight

Kent, my frequent commute to one of my clients is a hilarious drive; I've never thought the S3 was boring... and on track it was great too !

The end.

Reactions: batch and Simon L
Kent, my frequent commute to one of my clients is a hilarious drive; I've never thought the S3 was boring... and on track it was great too !

The end.

Gripping (get it!) story there fella but kinda ended a bit quick for me!! lol

Reactions: Ignition1 and sjbarneS3
Read the above review myself, very interesting. Both have their flaws, but me personally, who has a mk7 Golf R and just two months ago cancelled an s3 order...I look forward to placing a deposit on an a45 in the next 6 months. RS3 sounds sublime, but on the looks front...it leaves me a bit meh. But the aero pack and night pack on a mountain grey a45 is STUNNING!!!!!! IMO ;)

My brother has a normal A Class, lovely looking car. But it's so small inside, I'm actually shocked that the boot space is more than an A1.

If you're just after a high performance hatchback then yeah you can compare but as a car on the face of it I don't think you should.

My brother has a normal A Class, lovely looking car. But it's so small inside, I'm actually shocked that the boot space is more than an A1.

If you're just after a high performance hatchback then yeah you can compare but as a car on the face of it I don't think you should.

Yeh, I've heard the boot is a tad tight...the real test is if I can fit my golf clubs in ha. R is a 3 door, so the 5 door thing will be better for passengers etc, but not many 5 doors I like the look of :( Hence why I'm left with the A45 or RS3. Need to test drive them both nearer the time of order. How do you find the interior? People think it's cheap, I didn't think it was in the pre facelift a45.

I thought I'd chip in, since I was in the same boat as you, and my thread and name have been brought up ..

The S3 ticks a lot of boxes, it's nice to look at, I like the minimalist interior, it goes very well, it's grippy, reasonable on fuel, cheap to run and insure (well for me, being old helps :grin:), the 4-pot turbo makes a reasonable noise, and the S-tronic burps are fun. Sounds great, I had an extended test drive and was sold, excellent.

However boredom set in quite quickly, I was seduced by Spangle Blue in the showroom (and it had just been added to the £550 options list, not a £2.5k option) failing to remember I don't usually like blue cars.

Long story short and I just found the car quite dull. I may as well have been in the 1.4 TFSi around town (the S3 is quiet even in dynamic mode), I didn't like the way it handled at speed, so the only thrill was revving it out for the S-tronic burp, and the opportunity to do that these days is pretty slim. I think that's the problem with most cars these days, they are actually too competent. The character has been ironed out. And although this seems a common answer to the 'my S3 is dull', remapping it and making it quicker IMHO does not turn it into a different car. The S3 does not lack for speed, making it quicker doesn't make it any more characterful.

I know the Boxster is a different type of car, but take one for a test drive, 5 minutes later and you'll understand when I say that the S3 steering is numb, too light and lacks feedback, most cars these days do. You feel connected in the Porsche, the handling is superb, there's no slack or roll. The engine is a delight, has character throughout the range, and the throttle response is in a different league. I have had a GT carnewal exhaust fitted and the flat 6 is aurally much nicer than any 4-pot turbo. I will not be buying a 781.

On to the practicalities, I've just been for a weekend away with the missus. 4 days. I used the frunk, she used the trunk, we had plenty space, it was comfortable, good fun on the B-roads up here, and I returned 34 mpg on the way up, which is only about 2 mpg less than I would get from the S3.

So, for me, speed is not the answer, neither is modding the S3. What you want to do (and I'm sure Jeremy Clarkson said this) is buy a car that's actually worse, but has character. For example if you need a 5 door hatch I'd try a Scooby, or a 135i for the engine/drivetrain. If you need 4 seats go look at a 5.0 Mustang, and if you only need 2 seats I can't see past a Boxster/Cayman .. 2nd hand now, as you WANT the flat 6, trust me :hearteyes:

Reactions: steeve, mfl, RO65ERS and 4 others
I am as well mate - whereabouts are you?

North Essex .
Been reading this thread , perhaps this is my first performance road car and that is why am happy. Yes it is a compromise , but to me it is a hot hatch not a sports car. When i want a serious driving experience i book a track experience. So far the F type (560 bhp) is my favorite on the track.
The S3 is a nice comfy family car , happy shopping , going on long runs and not feeling knaxkered , with a bit spirit for a b road without the family.
Serious driving/riding is best experimced on the race track.
If you are bored book a track experience for £75 and have your fun there..

Reactions: DAYTONA 500
The S3 manages to create a whole new category, the "warm hatch". ;)

Every publication and reviewer holds up the Golf R as the benchmark hot/hyper hatch (for two years running).

The S3 as standard, is a "warmed over" version of what hot hatches should be all about.

Driver engagement, fun, reward.
((Which is what the S3 misses out, for me)

It's a small/family hatchback, an A3 with a larger engine, and some go faster plastic body kit parts.

Top (proper) hot hatches:

http://www.topgear.com/car-news/hot...tout-civic-type-r-vs-fiesta-st-vs-vw-golf-r#1

http://www.evo.co.uk/features/15324/the-top-five-best-hot-hatchbacks-on-sale-right-now

https://awards.whatcar.com/hothatch

Last edited:
Reactions: Blackwhite, Brasso and CraigI
I thought I'd chip in, since I was in the same boat as you, and my thread and name have been brought up ..

The S3 ticks a lot of boxes, it's nice to look at, I like the minimalist interior, it goes very well, it's grippy, reasonable on fuel, cheap to run and insure (well for me, being old helps :grin:), the 4-pot turbo makes a reasonable noise, and the S-tronic burps are fun. Sounds great, I had an extended test drive and was sold, excellent.

However boredom set in quite quickly, I was seduced by Spangle Blue in the showroom (and it had just been added to the £550 options list, not a £2.5k option) failing to remember I don't usually like blue cars.

Long story short and I just found the car quite dull. I may as well have been in the 1.4 TFSi around town (the S3 is quiet even in dynamic mode), I didn't like the way it handled at speed, so the only thrill was revving it out for the S-tronic burp, and the opportunity to do that these days is pretty slim. I think that's the problem with most cars these days, they are actually too competent. The character has been ironed out. And although this seems a common answer to the 'my S3 is dull', remapping it and making it quicker IMHO does not turn it into a different car. The S3 does not lack for speed, making it quicker doesn't make it any more characterful.

I know the Boxster is a different type of car, but take one for a test drive, 5 minutes later and you'll understand when I say that the S3 steering is numb, too light and lacks feedback, most cars these days do. You feel connected in the Porsche, the handling is superb, there's no slack or roll. The engine is a delight, has character throughout the range, and the throttle response is in a different league. I have had a GT carnewal exhaust fitted and the flat 6 is aurally much nicer than any 4-pot turbo. I will not be buying a 781.

On to the practicalities, I've just been for a weekend away with the missus. 4 days. I used the frunk, she used the trunk, we had plenty space, it was comfortable, good fun on the B-roads up here, and I returned 34 mpg on the way up, which is only about 2 mpg less than I would get from the S3.

So, for me, speed is not the answer, neither is modding the S3. What you want to do (and I'm sure Jeremy Clarkson said this) is buy a car that's actually worse, but has character. For example if you need a 5 door hatch I'd try a Scooby, or a 135i for the engine/drivetrain. If you need 4 seats go look at a 5.0 Mustang, and if you only need 2 seats I can't see past a Boxster/Cayman .. 2nd hand now, as you WANT the flat 6, trust me :hearteyes:

Perfect answer I was looking for. You quite frankly put words into my mouth about the s3, that I didn't know how to put.
It's a reasonably quick yet refined car at the end of the day. I should've probably gone with the golf r and still be enjoying it.

Saying this...I've driven it this week with the esp off and driving it harder. Not necessarily faster but harder. All 4 wheels screaming on my bends etc etc and even managing to get the rear out and quite surprised by how far too.
In dynamic it's far too quiet for the pace it makes up.

I have another test drive. Extended, in a 45 amg with aero kit booked in and I will be in talks with my nearest Porsche garage an hour away to see my options there.

If nothing else seems to please me on the road tests I really am unsure what to do.

Mercedes have tried to get me in a c63 but my clever side has said no...

Reactions: TheFiftheElement
@FBF01

My pal has a
Golf R (15plate)
A45 (65)
S3 (15)
RS3 (65)
C63s (15)

Leaving the C63 out as its in a league of its own, his most favourite car is the RS3 by far beats the A45 for noise and everything else he says.
If only we had that much money and leave cars parked in our garages we wouldn't have any issues

Reactions: FBF01
Has he won the euromillions recently?! Fair play, quite a collection that

Reactions: Chris5
@FBF01

My pal has a
Golf R (15plate)
A45 (65)
S3 (15)
RS3 (65)
C63s (15)

Leaving the C63 out as its in a league of its own, his most favourite car is the RS3 by far beats the A45 for noise and everything else he says.
If only we had that much money and leave cars parked in our garages we wouldn't have any issues

have to admit, if I could afford that collection, I would have a bit more diversity - Golf R, A45, S3 and RS3 seems bit too much like variations on the same theme ...

Reactions: Daveotto, RO65ERS, Chris5 and 1 other person