S3, bored after 6 months...HELP!

if you're chasing a motorbike feeling, you would be better getting a small light car like a caterham or something like that.

there isn't an Audi on earth going to give you half the thrill of a bike....my heavily modified RS6 is still nowhere near as fast or as exciting as my ZX-12R... but at least it will carry 4 people and their bags in rapid comfort... lol

Reactions: S3Alex, batch and RO65ERS
but at the end of the day, i want it to go round that bend faster than before and with a bigger grin on my face,

That won't happen with the S3 or RS3, or a Haldex based car.

Audi's (and Haldex based cars) are quick point-to-point cars. They aren't cars to go around bends/corners fast in. ;)

Currently, the only slight exception to this, is the A45 AMG, but only because it has the front LSD that compensates for the Haldex shortcomings.

That said, the TT-S is a much better drive than the S3.
(and whisper it, a better drive than the RS3)

Reactions: Pulp84
The thread makes an interesting read. I'm too toying with replacing the s3 had it 10 months. I enjoy driving the car. Not as composed as my RS Megane was but I knew that when I bought it.

It's not that I'm disappointed with it. But there is just something missing, I think I'd sum it up as I don't appreciate it enough. I admit it looks lovely when polished up and always puts a smile on my face when I give it the beans and the interior is a nice place to be.

It just missing something that I can't put my finger on.

I just hope I'm not becoming a serial car changer.

Reactions: veeeight and RO65ERS
if you're chasing a motorbike feeling, you would be better getting a small light car like a caterham or something like that.

there isn't an Audi on earth going to give you half the thrill of a bike....my heavily modified RS6 is still nowhere near as fast or as exciting as my ZX-12R... but at least it will carry 4 people and their bags in rapid comfort... lol
i know its a silly comparison, i know it'll never happen. my mate has a 450 big end cosy in his kit car, and i love it, but its not the same feeling.
its coming from something so excitable, where do you need to draw the line to realise that its never going to be achieved.

That won't happen with the S3 or RS3, or a Haldex based car.

Audi's (and Haldex based cars) are quick point-to-point cars. They aren't cars to go around bends/corners fast in. ;)

Currently, the only slight exception to this, is the A45 AMG, but only because it has the front LSD that compensates for the Haldex shortcomings.

That said, the TT-S is a much better drive than the S3.
(and whisper it, a better drive than the RS3)

the A45 AMG is incredible, but if the wife wants her A250amg, ill leave her with that badge on the drive. I'm fine with that. the TTs / rs I've heard nothing but incredible reviews about. i might try and get it one this week.

The thread makes an interesting read...

It just missing something that I can't put my finger on.

its just that. it really does.
i think its too civilised to be an 'asbo' car...if that makes sense?

it's certainly never going to be achieved with an Audi that's for sure... they are not an exciting range of cars, safe, fast, dull, yes.. but exciting... no way!

have you thought about the GT86? fun rwd, easy to slide about and have a bit of a laugh??

or maybe a Z4 or MX5.... again RWD and easy to get out of shape...

or FWD, you have the Renault sports and Honda Vtec things... not my cup of tea, but all the owners of both cars seem to rate them for fun?!?!?

My family and friends drive cars such as Ford KA's, Astra diesels, Mariva, DS3's, Mondeo's, Insignia's, basically the normal cars you see everyday! To them my S3 is the dogs bits, I think that we sometimes forget how lucky we are to have a nice car such as the S3!
I suppose it depends on your background and what you have been brought up with....for me who has come from a working class background and have worked my **** off from the age of 15, I feel lucky to be in an S3 and I appreciate the car for what it is. Obviously if your parents always took you to school in the latest and greatest Merc/BMW/Audi, then the S3 is lower down the ladder than what you are used to :)

PS: This isn't a pop at the OP, just my thoughts on the matter in general :)

Excellent post and interesting thread...most telling thing here is that the OP's list of better/alternatives cars are all considerably more expensive new than the S3...says a lot for the S3, best car for its price IMHO but if the OP has money in his pocket burning a hole I would first look at the m235i X-drive from a looks perspective

Reactions: Simon L
That said, the TT-S is a much better drive than the S3

s incredible, but if the wife wants her A250amg, ill leave her with that badge on the drive. I'm fine with that. the TTs / rs I've heard nothing but incredible reviews about. i might try and get it one this week.

Had a new TTS for a weekend and was very impressed, better in all aspects than an S3, except space, but IMHO not £10-15k better.

Reactions: veeeight
it's certainly never going to be achieved with an Audi that's for sure... they are not an exciting range of cars, safe, fast, dull, yes.. but exciting... no way!

have you thought about the GT86? fun rwd, easy to slide about and have a bit of a laugh??

or maybe a Z4 or MX5.... again RWD and easy to get out of shape...

or FWD, you have the Renault sports and Honda Vtec things... not my cup of tea, but all the owners of both cars seem to rate them for fun?!?!?

the new civic type R looks very interesting! I'm just not a honda fan. and that alone puts me off the brand.
when i was at bmws driving the m235i they asked if i wanted to try a z4, so i will be later next week.

Excellent post and interesting thread...most telling thing here is that the OP's list of better/alternatives cars are all considerably more expensive new than the S3...says a lot for the S3, best car for its price IMHO but if the OP has money in his pocket burning a hole I would first look at the m235i X-drive from a looks perspective

this is the thing, I'm happy to spend in the region of 50k. i have a very low mortgage, a wife that earns very good money and we have a good living of life. now if i was to PCP or HP a vehicle ( as i wouldn't buy out right, its not financially viable, and as I'm training to be an IFA / MA i need to take my own advice on board here)i could spend in the region of 8-900 a month on a car, so the options there are varied.

the S3 holds something close to my heart - so did my s1 in fact.
again I'm very sensible with my money, so thinking long term and servicing costs i need that to bear in mind.

the M235i was nice, it got to 140 nicely ands its launch control is sublime. moving it from sport to sport plus! great feel and difference but drive one and i can only describe it as not worthy of the M badge.

Reactions: Rob2k68
The A45 AMG if I am honest is one of the best cars I've driven in the last 18 months. Special car that and it is a serious weapon. I doubt the Focus RS can hold a candle to it when doing some serious fast road work but we will see when I drive it in a few weeks. It certainly wins the bang for your buck award does the Focus RS.....

The way I like to sum up the S3 is it is an 8/10th's car all day long. You can excuse some of the dynamic failings as it's a "S" product. You can cover some serious ground at a ridiculous pace in it (being mindful of its limitations) and for the price I think it does an OK job at this.

The RS3 has no excuses. It really should be as good as the A45 AMG and for an "RS" product it really is lacking.

The comments regarding the TTS are spot on.

Last edited:
Reactions: veeeight, Jassyo06 and RO65ERS
The A45 AMG if I am honest is one of the best cars I've driven in the last 18 months. Special car that and it is a serious weapon. I doubt the Focus RS can hold a candle to it when doing some serious fast road work but we will see when I drive it in a few weeks. It certainly wins the bang for your buck award does the Focus RS.....

The way I like to sum up the S3 is it is an 8/10th's car all day long. You can excuse some of the dynamic failings as it's a "S" product. You can cover some serious ground at a ridiculous pace in it (being mindful of its limitstions).

The RS3 has no excuses. It really should be as good as the A45 AMG and for an "RS" product it really is lacking.

The comments regarding the TTS are spot on.

yes, someone who else has driven the 45!
its 4matic works wonders! i never got to drive it as hard as i liked at the time, but the up shift farts, start up ad general drivability is great, but i feel id get bored of it come 8 months down the line as per the s3 - i don't think the tuning world for the 45 is quite there yet.

i think the RS3, is just going to be a gimmick. i can't comment really till I've driven one, but if its drives like the s3 and understeers like it, its not worth 15k extra!

I would be looking at a secondhand Porsche with this budget

I've never driven a porsche, i couldn't tell the difference between any of the models. that'd be complete new grounds to be.
what is it that i would be looking for?

Dont think ye need help mate, just more money...and buy a faster car...to drive to the 70mph speed limits...l also think think the s3 in some ways is a bit lethargic in its in gear performance,but reality for british roads its well fast...crud handling yeah but no cars perfect....the 235i is a terrible looking car,save up and get a M2.....WE ALL GET BORED WITH OUR CARS...

Reactions: Snake Pliskin
I'm with Dave, to get anything remotely worthy of calling itself an upgrade from an S3 your gonna have to throw at least an extra £10k at it!!

I agree the S3 is safe..........predictable even but boring??? Really!! Some peeps must get bored very easily is all I can say!! lol

Reactions: batch, gamegenie, nadsi77 and 2 others
Actions speak louder than posts ....just get rid of it if you can...simples

Reactions: Snake Pliskin and Simon L
I've never driven a porsche, i couldn't tell the difference between any of the models. that'd be complete new grounds to be.

For a start, steering and turn in.
Even at a paltry 40 mph, when you turn the wheel in a Cayman S, the car responds immediately, then when it loads up the suspension, the front end of the car responds, sticks, responds instantaneously, and moves like a car should steer.

When you then step out of the Cayman S and back into the S3, you will realise just how disconnected the steering really is.

@TheFiftheElement and @alijnclarke have both made the move from S3 to Cayman.

I do like the Cayman I'm not gonna lie and the reviews are pretty much unanimous across the board as far as driving characteristics. Think I've left it too late....................bit long in the tooth now!! lol

Absolutely J, so get that RS3 on order already!! :whistle2:

Reactions: sjbarneS3, Jassyo06 and Snake Pliskin

Only ever been a passenger in a Porsche but would start with

2 year old Cayman S or Boxster S - if you are loooking for a sports option or a low end year old Macan S if you need a bit more room

The S3 is pretty tough to beat overall right now IMO, but the upcoming RS3 refresh with a decent horsepower bump to 400+ via an electric turbo and some trick fenders/track might make me consider a swap.
Audi A3 clubsport quattro 02

In the meantime, you might want to consider an Aprilia APRC as an alternative to the R1 though either one is a great choice.

Reactions: Simon L

Not in the UK you wont......they dont do the 135i / 235i xdrive in the UK. Mores the pity. I would have happily bought another m135i if it was available in xdrive.
The cars biggest issue is rwd......great on the track but ****** useless on wet, diesel contaminated UK roads!

Thats why I bought my S3. Its got great traction and is a very solid all rounder...

Reactions: PLovell and Daveotto
50K budget a 2nd hand R8.

The S3 is pretty tough to beat overall right now IMO, but the upcoming RS3 refresh with a decent horsepower bump to 400+ via an electric turbo and some trick fenders/track might make me consider a swap.
View attachment 80256
In the meantime, you might want to consider an Aprilia APRC as an alternative to the R1 though either one is a great choice.

Get Real...car doesnt exist....

Reactions: S3Alex

Get rid of it and do what, be a bus ******. The reason for this post, is for advice on people who have changed, experienced or modified their s3 to make it worth their while.

If I was looking for nonsense I'd pop over to piston heads and listen to every ****** knowing everything about every vehicle on the road because they watched top gear once a week.

As many have said yes there are better.
But bang for buck it's an impressive car.
Yes I love it but it doesn't make me grin ear to ear everytime...yet I still turn around when I'm walking away from the parking lot to look at it.

If it means 10 to 15k extra for an rs3 which appears to have the only difference of dynamic exhaust and 65hp with the same level of understeer and grip, I may aswell go Apr with a full system for 2.5k all in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: James 123 and Sandra
I get the impression, another make wont do, go down the Apr route and keep the car.

Reactions: RO65ERS and D1309
My family and friends drive cars such as Ford KA's, Astra diesels, Mariva, DS3's, Mondeo's, Insignia's, basically the normal cars you see everyday! To them my S3 is the dogs bits, I think that we sometimes forget how lucky we are to have a nice car such as the S3!
I suppose it depends on your background and what you have been brought up with....for me who has come from a working class background and have worked my **** off from the age of 15, I feel lucky to be in an S3 and I appreciate the car for what it is. Obviously if your parents always took you to school in the latest and greatest Merc/BMW/Audi, then the S3 is lower down the ladder than what you are used to :)

PS: This isn't a pop at the OP, just my thoughts on the matter in general :)

Very well said

Get an S4 or S5 3.0 TFSI

Pulley upgrade & remap 450-500 horses,400+ ftlb of torque from 2500 rpm

top speed around 182 on the autobahn
What is not to love :)
The problem with the standard S$/5 is the boost is bled of after 5250 rpm so runs out of puff to quickly

Reactions: DrEskimo
Get an S4 or S5 3.0 TFSI

The problem with the standard S$/5 is the boost is bled of after 5250 rpm so runs out of puff to quickly
When I became homeless about 3 years ago I lived in my a4 avant for almost a year.
I struggle to get inside one without the memories.
The s5 on the other hand...

Reactions: S3Alex, xpoweruk and DrEskimo
Get an S4 or S5 3.0 TFSI

Would sticking a supercharger in the V8 model give it more top end? Another possibility!

Reactions: xpoweruk
Iv recently done the apr stage 1 on my s3. Gained an extra 125lb/ft of torque and 65hp. which to me has made the car more agressive, responsive and obviously alot faster.

If i put my foot down in say 2nd gear coming off a roundabout or coming out off a junction, the back end pops out no problem. Previous to the tune, I couldnt get that to happen.

though 600 quid for a remap sounds rediculous, the difference in how the car feels now is well worth the money i think.

Reactions: Lhasa2008, Gazjs, RO65ERS and 3 others
I think its ridiculous to not be able to decide what one wants and then come to a forum and whine. its a bad look and is totally absurd. if you dont like the car then get something else. period

OP - I know exactly what you mean, the S3 is quick enough/efficient enough but a little safe and sensible (not boring per se).......just like a fast Audi normally is.

I have many 2 wheelers in the barn (from very fast to pretty slow) and to be honest the best fun is on the slow/medium fast bikes where the limits are lower both in speed and handling and I feel I make a difference whereas modern RR/CBR/R1 etc I get the feeling the bike wasn't bothered by my antics! I much prefer 2 wheels and treat the car as a means to and end to get to the airport/shops..........nothing else.

It sounds to me like you want an entertaining car but deep down don't want to compromise on power...........

For a few hundred quid and a 14day money back guarantee put a DTUK box on it and see if it spikes your interest, if not then more power is not the answer. Alternatively buy something less powerful and less capable and enjoy lower limits (and speeds) than the S3/AMG etc but I get the vibe that won't do. The issue with modern cars and modern dynamics (AWD included) is that fast cars can be a bit too easy to drive fast (and relatively safely) in any conditions, maybe some kind of M car will keep you entertained as they need a little more thinking about than hit apex floor throttle................

Go out and try some.

I have had this feeling with all 40+ cars I've owned. I've tried each end of the scale from a very fast tuned 1980's mini, 400bhp r33 skyline to bigger comfy cars like a e90 3 series and an A6.
Believe it or not, the S3 is actually a car I can see myself keeping. It's a looker, suitably quick enough for British roads and does it all on comfort while returning some good running costs. Best of all worlds with a little compromise I guess.
If I were you, I'd seriously be considering an rs4 that has been played with a little and I'd also have a GT86 parked next to it. I have driven a GT86 on the road and round silverstone for 15 laps and it is without a doubt the most fun and involving car that you could have for £18k on the driveway. It honestly drives like you would want it to, albeit slightly under powered but that is where it comes into its own. You need to DRIVE the car to get the most from it. With the budget you have a GT86 and rs4 is more than realistic.

Reactions: Lhasa2008 and Flibble
RO65ERS said:
no offence taken (EDIT), i work for Vauxhall,
Thanks, like I say it wasn't directed at you ;) Sometimes I get a bit miffed when people (obviously from a comfortable background) start moaning about the S3 and pointing out it's faults. I also work for Vauxhall in the car plant...OMG the things I could tell you about the new Astra!!! Think I best leave it there though :D

RO65ERS said:
I'm currently unable to drive an RS3 - my dealer is looking for one for me to borrow, just as you described. theres actually a white one just a mile from me which looks incredible - but I'm not 100% convinced i will like it. there is something about the s3, i love and at the same time, find tedious.
I tried the RS3 for a few hours, didn't notice that much difference whilst driving it TBH, certainly not worth the extra £10k. My wife even said "It's just more noisy, like a boy racer" :) As said in the thread I made at the time, the thing that was very annoying was every time you pulled out to pass someone on the motorway it would kick down even if you didn't want it to! The slightest press would knock it down a gear.

The s3 is my favourite all rounder,
Nail on the head. Affordable, seats 5 people, does around 30mpg around town, is safe, cheap to insure (£280 this year which is less than last year!), fair size boot, hits 60 in around 5 seconds!

Reactions: Pulp84
I see the RS3 haters are still hating although some of them have woken up and purchased one ,I've said it before and I'll say it again it doesn't matter how much money you spend or what you do to an S3 it'll never be an RS3 .:sadlike:

Reactions: James 123 and Eigdoog
View attachment 80256

If the RS3 comes looking like this anytime soon, I may forego the Haldex limitations.

It really depends on how much you want to spend. Cayman GT4 feels thoroughly special and is a superb drive both flat out and pottering about, also you can't go wrong with a used 458 either they are superb cars for someone wanting to drive something that feels like a special occasion every time.

For S3/RS3 money why not try and find yourself a good example of a 993 or a 930 Porsche. That will keep you on your toes, they are quite a handful and they're appreciating too. You do such a low mileage you can daily driver it.

For less than that maybe a Nissan 370Z they're really not bad to drive and feel fairly exciting, good balance of power and rwd grip. Not really special at all though, but better than a GTR for sure.