S3 Blue Smoke

Charlie23

Reaction score
Hi guys, my mate has just bought a 2009 S3 manual a few days ago, all was fine we picked it up drove home etc perfect.
We both went out today and I noticed abit of blue smoke coming out the exhaust when he is stopped at a junction and then pulls off, not every time but say 5 out of 10 times it will puff out some blue smoke.
Also on a good foot down it will puff out abit of blue smoke for the initial few seconds then nothing. Idling it doesn’t smoke and also no smoke on a cold or warm start up. I changed his pcv valve, and cam follower to see if any better but still the same? It’s on 104k and Stage 1 with 2+ hardware awaiting R-Tech map.

never experienced this with any of my S3’s so I can’t help any further than I have.

any help much appreciated.

First thing I’d do is to change the oil to Millers Nanodrive NT 5W-40.
Excellent oil and a bit thicker when hot compared to the probable 5W-30 fitted by the last garage.

Reactions: Charlie23
If changing the oil didn't solve your problem, check the valve stem seals.

Done abit of reading up and a lot of people mention Valve stem seals. Can it just happen like that within a day or so? Only thing I noticed a lot of people mention it smokes from cold with stem seals where his car does not. First thing in the morning no smoke, drive for a bit no smoke when it gets hot then it starts smoking but not every time like mentioned 5 out of 10 times it will smoke. Will change the oil and filter see what happens, also read up about a rear crank case breather? Can anyone shed any light on this as can’t find much about it?
cheers for the help guys much appreciated

Hi guys abit of and update and some help/advise.
Ordered oil will be carrying that out tomorrow.
My mate bought some Colder spark plugs and a PCV delete.
So I fitted both and have taken some pics of the old plugs as they have only done about 5000 miles (per receipt) and the pcv I replaced a few days ago with Genuine PCV.

not sure what to make of the plugs as not clued up on that but the PCV has abit of oil in it? Considering it’s only been on there a few days should it be like that? Regarding the PCV delete that’s only a temp as wanted to see if it made any difference.
Also could the maf sensor cause it to smoke ? As he is noticed a bit of a fuel smell only now and then the last few days, it’s not running the best on fuel economy low 20’s driving nice and I left it unplugged earlier and it didn’t really make any difference to the running of the engine? But no Eml light on also?
Cheers Guys

Attachments

• 34E9BBF5-4EB8-4A50-8856-C61CA12E502E.jpeg
    34E9BBF5-4EB8-4A50-8856-C61CA12E502E.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 67
  • AEA5EC91-13BC-4064-A84D-95E64A687A6C.jpeg
    AEA5EC91-13BC-4064-A84D-95E64A687A6C.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 62
  • A8D61560-FDB1-4478-A9E8-1682CB689CE5.jpeg
    A8D61560-FDB1-4478-A9E8-1682CB689CE5.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 67
  • 648E72E2-DEB0-48A7-940E-BBCCBBB0A4A4.jpeg
    648E72E2-DEB0-48A7-940E-BBCCBBB0A4A4.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 64
  • 8CF29DC5-9A1E-4200-BA1F-3EA7FEE9386F.jpeg
    8CF29DC5-9A1E-4200-BA1F-3EA7FEE9386F.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 71
Starting to think its Turbo seals that are causing the smoke.

My mate hasn't long bought the car so a TTE turbo isn't viable at the moment. Does any one have any recommendations for a good K04 turbo?

Cheers

Starting to think its Turbo seals that are causing the smoke.

My mate hasn't long bought the car so a TTE turbo isn't viable at the moment. Does any one have any recommendations for a good K04 turbo?

Cheers

Blue smoke is caused by engine burning oil. The turbo seals coud not be the cause because it’s not right for the turbo to have engine oil. In fact, if it has you may be thinking of getting a new turbo soon. Because it will break.
You have to check for oil leaks, see if the oil level doesn’t drop too quickly between services and have your engine check out soon because there might be cracks or leaks that might need fix. Blue smoke is made by the engine burning oil. So the oil is getting inside the combustion process.

Hi Thanks for the reply, Totally under stand what your saying but we have carried out a few tests etc and the car only seems to smoke when planted to the floor or when you pull away and it has abit of boost then you change gear and it puffs out a little bit of smoke. On idle the car does not smoke, From cold the car does not smoke its only when driving. Does seem to have burnt off abit of oil since changing it to the Millers Nano 5w/40.

There was abit of a smell at first but i think that has been cured due to the Charcoal Canister being full and i mean full to the brim, so that has been replaced and the smell does not to be present anymore.

One thing i did notice is we took the car out for a blast after changing the charcoal canister gave it some beans and noticed some white smoke coming out from the back of the engine, didn't smell of anything and as the car cooled down the smoke got less and then stopped?

Blue smoke is caused by engine burning oil. The turbo seals coud not be the cause because it’s not right for the turbo to have engine oil. In fact, if it has you may be thinking of getting a new turbo soon. Because it will break.
You have to check for oil leaks, see if the oil level doesn’t drop too quickly between services and have your engine check out soon because there might be cracks or leaks that might need fix. Blue smoke is made by the engine burning oil. So the oil is getting inside the combustion process.
Oil can get past the seals into the outlet side and burn. Or into the inlet and sucked into the combustion chamber

Last edited:
Yes thats what i read.

Performance is still fine, And considering there is no smoke on start up or on idle i cant see it being engine side. Only smokes when the car is moving which to me indicates turbo seals. I could be wrong but that's my look on it. Going to check the intercooler pipes later for him and see if there is any oil in them.

One thing i was thinking if anyone knows, the Charcoal Canister was full to the top, could this then of caused a blockage or pressure in the PCV system causing the fuel vapours to go in the engine then out of the crank case or breather in to the turbo outlet?

As before you stood behind the car and it smelt, now the canister is changed you can stand behind the car and all is fine?

Oil can get past the seals into the outlet side and burn. Or into the inlet and sucked into the combustion chamber

Sure, i agree.

I was answering thinking he has cheked inside the air filter and there was no oil there. If it was the turbo seals and oil has gone inside the turbo then the air filter would have oil inside.