S3 Blower fan not working...

cambler001

Reaction score
Hi guys,

New to this site, but was wondering if any of you had any ideas or had the same problem before? I have a 2007 plate 2.0l TFSI 265bhp S3, and the blower fan has stopped working. nothing coming out at all, not even cold. Any ideas? I am away jsut now, but someone gave the car a run for me today and said it wasnt working.

Welcome to the site.

So we're clear you mean the internal heating blower?

Yeah. The internal heating blower. Was hoping it was a fuse. No lights on the dashboard, no noises or rattlings. Car was switched on and fans didn't work from the start.

Mine did exactly this last Friday. Did some searching on the site and figured out how to get it out and inspect.

Wasn't particularly hopeful as the advice all pointed to worn out brushes and knackered commutators, but I thought I'd have a look. Turned out that the brushes were fine, I gave the whole unit a blow out with a high pressure air hose, connected it up to a battery and Bingo - it worked!

Put it all back together and pleased to say it's still going strong. (A lot of crap fell out when I 'unscrewed' the unit, and the pollen filter was the same - since replaced.)

It took me about 2 hours altogether, basically as I was fumbling around, then I found this thread...

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/h5djr/elsawin/glovebox-remove.pdf

That helped! :) Though it missed a screw, right in the centre of the box, inside. Oh, and you'll need your passenger airbag light reset as it'll show up as a fault on your dash.

HTH

P

Fan blower motors are not un-common on 8p chassis a3s unfortunately. lucky they are easy to access as you just remove the glovebox (several 8mm bolts) to gain access. the ones I have replaced the fault stored is "mechanical malfunction" with the unit. however cleaning them or simply un-plugging them and reconnecting tends to make them work again. Just usually not for very long, in the end the blower motor nearly always needs replacing as it simply fails again. So I'd personally advise replacing it now especially if you rely on your car to get to work in the cold frosty mornings. (but if you clean it out, it works and keeps on working happy days!)

Mine stopped working a few months ago, the climate control unit was working but the fan wouldn't go. You can drop the fan out without taking the glovebox out, just remove the foam access cover, then unplug, grip it and twist it then drops out. There is a controller on the fan module and you can test the connections with a multi meter.

Offending item

Mine was shot, 74 quid replacement of eBay sorted it. new fans are 350 quid so worth checking after the fuse.

Reactions: doctor46goat
First check the fuse, then check the fan is getting power, then check the climate control by checking that the control voltage changes when you change the fan speed. This can all be done at the fan plug with a multimeter. If that looks ok the module is toast.