• Yes

Votes: 18 60.0%
  • No

Votes: 12 40.0%

• Total voters

scott_johnson

Reaction score
Chaps,

I have an order in for an Ibis white S3 Sportback Black Edition hopefully being delivered next month..

My question is, has anyone had the ugly standard 18” 5 arm turbine wheels powder coated all black (not just the spokes)?

I feel having a ‘black edition’ Audi should have a black option for the wheels?

Any pictures would be hugely appreciated!

Or if anyone can photoshop these:

SJ

76819817 2C21 4CCA AF84 47DA6A3924A2

E3C6CD4F 2A51 412F 813D 18A2A9E598C0

Last edited:
I had the spokes only coated in gloss black, and rim polished.. in my opinion looks great, and totally changes the car/wheels..

3b8a05170b4072ac2490e6b67c075989.jpg

a8d1b66e8ef4f79430a0feba36063ce2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Bells, Demari46, TYb and 8 others
Wow! It really does make all the difference! Looks very RS3! Can I ask who did them and how much?

Wow! It really does make all the difference! Looks very RS3! Can I ask who did them and how much?

I got the dealership to sort it for me and got them to include it in my deal before I agreed to buy..

Was unsure how’d they’d turn out as I’d never seen it before and had it done before car collection.

I’m very happy with the result. Took car to a detailer and he said that whoever had done it had done a very good job. Just make sure they do inside the wheel to as they did on mine..

Reactions: Phil-1
I had the spokes only coated in gloss black, and rim polished.. in my opinion looks great, and totally changes the car/wheels..

3b8a05170b4072ac2490e6b67c075989.jpg

a8d1b66e8ef4f79430a0feba36063ce2.jpg

That blue is stunning. Shame I can't spec my A4 Avant BE in that colour.

Chaps,

I have an order in for an Ibis white S3 Sportback Black Edition hopefully being delivered next month..

My question is, has anyone had the ugly standard 18” 5 arm turbine wheels powder coated all black (not just the spokes)?

SJ

View attachment 144512

View attachment 144513

Have you spec'd red brake calipers too. If so then they'd look really prominent with black wheels. (IMO)

Reactions: JDHOWELLS
Cheers - love how it changes in different lights..

Mind you, I guess the reason they restrict colour choice for lesser models so cars such as yours gets a certain degree of exclusivity.

Reactions: JDHOWELLS
Mind you, I guess the reason they restrict colour choice for lesser models so cars such as yours gets a certain degree of exclusivity.

I believe Ara blue is only available on certain models.. in the A3 range it’s only available on S3/Rs3 so example..

Chaps,

SJ

View attachment 144512

View attachment 144513

I've never been a fan of these wheels (each to their own) but if you do what @JDHOWELLS has done it totally changes them for the better in my view. Would look good on the white car too I reckon. I wouldn't have them all black though.

Reactions: Broonie22, Flying Scotsman and JDHOWELLS
I've never been a fan of these wheels (each to their own) but if you do what @JDHOWELLS has done it totally changes them for the better in my view. Would look good on the white car too I reckon. I wouldn't have them all black though.
I'm with you on this one...
I thought they looked kind of toyish and cheap, but much nicer with the black!

Reactions: Audi Bairn and JDHOWELLS

I believe Ara blue is only available on certain models.. in the A3 range it’s only available on S3/Rs3 so example..

Reactions: happytalk73
Personally, I really like the S3BE wheels as they are.

Reactions: The Challinor and Jassyo06
I also painted the inserts, got rid of the horrible off gold colour. I got my guy to match the black edition trim colour. Which is a weird dark grey. Haven’t got a pic of them on th car yet though

Attachments

• 9578275B-59AD-4483-B2AC-CDBC793C92CB.jpeg
    9578275B-59AD-4483-B2AC-CDBC793C92CB.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 440
  • 9C9129F1-1008-4A39-B962-C18AFD43FB60.jpeg
    9C9129F1-1008-4A39-B962-C18AFD43FB60.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 525
Reactions: Rolly12, Tom.H, azibux1 and 3 others
The black middles with the silver outers turns the ugly wheels into something of a looker!

Reactions: Audi Bairn, azibux1 and JDHOWELLS
Very tempted by the black centres now! Unless someone can show me all black?

Deanshaw, were they just painted / clear coat? I’m guessing the silver lips were just masked off with tape?

JDHOWELLS, was this a main dealer that did that for you?

Deanshaw, were they just painted / clear coat? I’m guessing the silver lips were just masked off with tape?
Yes the diamond cut edges were masked off with precision tape, then painted new colour, then the whole wheel was lacquered to make sure it’s sealed properly

Never been a fan of gloss black paint on alloy wheels.... Shows up every bit of dirt big time, at best a metallic Anthracite coloured paint would look more oem and nicer, also l like the oem colour on these wheels.... Audi do this alloy design on the S5 and the new A8 and they look well classy

Reactions: Neil C and pburv
Personally, I really like the S3BE wheels as they are.

It's funny how we're all different. Personally I can't stand the BE wheels and think they look like they belong on a basic Sport model.

Unfortunately it seems there's no alternative 18" option - the only choice is to go for one of the 19" options which then requires Mag Ride.

Reactions: zcoreyy, davemk and deanshaw24
Chaps,

SJ

View attachment 144512

View attachment 144513

UGLY!

I think they are some of the best looking rims ever

Always loved those rotors. I think they look better on Daytona grey tho. I have the black edtion spokes 9n my 1.5 tfsi.. Still trying to fall in love with them

I would say that plasti dipping is a good option if you want to give your wheels a new look. You can get rid of it quite easily if you don't like it or get bored. I'll be doing mine for winter (additional protection as well).

Well had it done, I think it sets of a white BE better than the std colour. Excuse the state of the car from driving through the lanes and onto the building site where my office is!
IMG 0702

Reactions: TYb