S3 BBK advice.

br20vt

Reaction score
Considering a big brake kit as the standard S3 brakes dont exactly fill me with confidence.
Looking at TTRS / RS3 brakes just wondering if any of you guys have done this conversion and whats needed?
Do they fit behind standard facelift wheels or is a lower ET wheel required?
cheers

The best guy to ask is DaveB1970 or N8.

The stock brakes are wooly and prone to fade.

Mine are basically a hybrid of AP and VWRacing with Mintex 1155 pads which are maybe a bit aggressive for road use but way better than what the car had.

I have just done TTRS / RS3 calipers and am extremely happy with the result.

There is a lot of chat/advice/guidance about fitment etc on this link:

S3 TTRS Brake Upgrade - Page 5 | VAGOC.co.uk

Plenty to read so that should keep you going.

Biggest thing to note is a) RS3 discs DO NOT fit. and b) wheel fitment over the callipers. They can be limiting. (My 19" CHs 8J Et50 dont fit!)

I had to step my Speedlines out 4-5mm to clear my R8 brembos. 18s cleared, just, in terms of radius but offset and width of standard wheels probably wouldn't have fit either.

Very good points re the fitting.

Mine have built in spacers also.

I know one guy that tried std s3 alloys with a 10mm spacer and failed miserably......

Out of interest what BBK's fit over the standard 18" wheel?

Give N8 a shout as he has some stunning front bbk for sale, lambo's iirc that I just removed for him :)

I couldn't believe how much lighter they were even than the stock a3 brakes, incredible given the size of the things, amazing stopping power.

I love the simplicity of brake pad changes, remove pins, 2 bolts, 4pads lift out & 4 back in, refit pins & bolts, job done, if I had the dough I'd fit them lol.

Cheers for all the response lads, I'd love the lambo brakes but probly out of my price range :(

I have just done TTRS / RS3 calipers and am extremely happy with the result.

There is a lot of chat/advice/guidance about fitment etc on this link:

S3 TTRS Brake Upgrade - Page 5 | VAGOC.co.uk

Plenty to read so that should keep you going.

Biggest thing to note is a) RS3 discs DO NOT fit. and b) wheel fitment over the callipers. They can be limiting. (My 19" CHs 8J Et50 dont fit!)

Cheers James, ill take a look! Eek hope they work with my Helios 8.5J ET45 :/

Give N8 a shout as he has some stunning front bbk for sale, lambo's iirc that I just removed for him :)

I couldn't believe how much lighter they were even than the stock a3 brakes, incredible given the size of the things, amazing stopping power.

I love the simplicity of brake pad changes, remove pins, 2 bolts, 4pads lift out & 4 back in, refit pins & bolts, job done, if I had the dough I'd fit them lol.

Lambo 8-pots, iirc, with APRacing discs.

IMAG0397_zps9d2567e8.jpg

Reactions: br20vt and NHN
why not look at running a 18z q7 caliper they are the same as the porsche 18z but with smaller pistons so they give a better feel on the original master cylinder and id imagine they would bolt up to the standard disks but dont hold me to that but they will fit under 18's on a 350 if memory serves me correctly

I would love a BBK just to complete the car even though I am happy enough with the standard brakes for my driving - either TTRS or RS3 ones would suit me nicely to keep it OEM!

Plenty around for sale at the moment Andrew......... you know it makes sense!

I would love a BBK just to complete the car even though I am happy enough with the standard brakes for my driving - either TTRS or RS3 ones would suit me nicely to keep it OEM!

Yeh i'd like to keep it OEM and use TTRS brakes, and i dont think id need to go any bigger for 2+ maximum.
I change my wheels a lot too which is going to be a pain for clearance all the time :(