S3 bam castrol edge oil

mdm83

Reaction score
Hi been a long time viewer of the forum/ site and thanks to the tons of useful info/topics I've never really needed to ask a question before, but now I'm stuck.
I have a 2002 s3 with 225 bam engine with 105k on clock, which is needing a oil top up. When it's been serviced they have used oil grade 10w 40 which is fine and was last changed about 5k ago so it's due soon. The problem I'm having is that I can't source any castrol edge in this grade. I can find 1 litre bottles on ebay but that's it, the rest are either 5w30 or 10w 60.
I don't mind changing to 5w 30 (which I assumed was in it) but it has been running fine with the 10w 40 for the 2 years I've had it.
So I have 3 questions:
1- why am I having trouble finding castrol edge 10w 40?
2- if I can't find the castrol edge 10w 40, should I just change brands and keep to the same grade or change to castrol edge 5w 30?
3- if I do decide to change grades on the next service is it ok in the meantime to top up with 5w 30 instead of 10w 40 or is this asking for trouble?

any advice will be great thanks

Dont bother with that, just get yourself to TPS and purchase some Quantum, its what the main dealers use and its pretty cheap too.

I use 10w40 in mine and its fine.

Edge is fully synthetic so won't be 10w40. More likely be gtx magnatec or similar

If you go onto the Halfords site they recommend 'Castrol Edge 5w 30' for the 1.8t engine.

Edge is fully synthetic so won't be 10w40. More likely be gtx magnatec or similar

Castrol don't do "fully synthetic" oils in the real sense. They use marketing hype to imply that it's fully synthetic when it's only a hydrocracked petroleum based oil. Quantum is merely rebranded castrol.

Mobil make excellent oils, true fully synthetic. Mobil 1 ESP.

Thanks for replies, so looks like I will be changing to 5w 30 on next oil change. So when I give it a top up is it ok to use 5w 30, mixing the two types of oil, or will I have to do a complete oil change?

not this again :banghead: lost count how many times I've said it this year alone!

Anyway... 5w30 is for long life service interval but you'll be mad to be on long life intervals on cars this age. 5w40 and regular changes (at least every 9k) is best for these cars.

10w40 doesn't offer good enough protection for the high temperatures these turbos reach.

0w40 is good for warmer countries and good in summer as it offers even better protection at higher temperatures but protection is limited below 10 degrees or so....

Reactions: JudderMan
I only do about 6k miles a year on the s3 anyway and it gets regular changes as I don't buy into the long life thing, I'm my opinion the more regular/ less miles between changes the better. So can I top up with 5w 30/40 or will it have to be full oil change?

An oil change every 6k is perfect IMO... If I were you I'd top up with any fully synth 5w40 now (don't worry about mixed grades too much) and then make sure 5w40 fully synth is used on the next service and from here on in.

Brand is pretty much irrelevant if you ask me. It's all made to the same standards, just depends who's been cutting deals with who as to what brand a manufacture recommends...

not this again :banghead: lost count how many times I've said it this year alone!

Anyway... 5w30 is for long life service interval but you'll be mad to be on long life intervals on cars this age. 5w40 and regular changes (at least every 9k) is best for these cars.

10w40 doesn't offer good enough protection for the high temperatures these turbos reach.

0w40 is good for warmer countries and good in summer as it offers even better protection at higher temperatures but protection is limited below 10 degrees or so....

Why do you think 0W40 will offer poor lubrication at temperatures below 10 degrees Celsius?

The w number is a rating of how thick an oil is at certain temperatures and literally stands for winter (also known as cold-start viscosity). 0w = zero winter rating as it's too thick at lower temperatures to provide proper protection.

I believe I'm right in saying that in warmer countries (like Australia) Audi actually recommend 0w oil as it's remains thicker at higher temperatures and is better at protecting the turbo when it's hot... And these k04's get seriously hot, especially when mapped.

Last edited:
The w number is a rating of how thick an oil is at certain temperatures and literally stands for winter (also known as cold-start viscosity). 0w = zero winter rating as it's too thick at lower temperatures to provide proper protection.

I believe I'm right in saying that in warmer countries (like Australia) Audi actually recommend 0w oil as it's remains thicker at higher temperatures and is better at protecting the turbo when it's hot... And these k04's get seriously hot, especially when mapped.

I believe it would be better for you to read a little about automotive oils, their properties and what it means numbers, which indicate the viscosity.

Motor Oil Viscosity Grades Explained in Layman's Terms

Thanks for the link, will have a read of it later... I was just going off a massive post some guy (user name TheOilGuy or something) did here ages ago explaining oil grades. Did try looking for the post yesterday but couldn't find it.

Also wiki (I know, not always the most credible sauce!) says a similar thing... Quote from wiki:

"The Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) has established a numerical code system for grading motor oils according to their viscosity characteristics. SAE viscosity gradings include the following, from low to high viscosity: 0, 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 40, 50 or 60. The numbers 0, 5, 10, 15 and 25 are suffixed with the letter W, designating they are "winter" (not "weight") or cold-start viscosity, at lower temperature."

Either way a 0w oil is not good at lower temperatures, fact...

I believe that you should read before you write and give opinion.

Eng oil

Reactions: k1ano
:readit: :blink:

Damn it... That depressingly humbling moment when something you have believed for years is disproven in front of your very eyes and you are left with no other option than to do the one thing every man hope's NEVER to do... Admit he is wrong :3sadwalk: I'll shut up now.

Either way, 5w40 FTW!

Reactions: JudderMan, pasamaz, Nilz and 3 others
5w30 is like water... designed to reduce friction making the engine 'more economical'... Audi variable servicing is also a joke...

5w40 fully synth from whoever you want to part money with... change it every 6-9k or 12 months and you will be in a happy place :)

I have used Fuchs Titan Supersyn in the past and now use Quantum Platinum... no need for massively expensive oil just regular changes of the right grade..

<tuffty/>

Had the oil changed using this today , it's not seized up yet !

:) used it the last time I changed the oil.. about 5k ago and have another 5l bottle for the next change in 1k - can't go wrong for £13 and free postage.

Currently using ENEOS Premium Ultra 0w50. The only complaint that I have for it is the price. I notice the relatively high consumption of oil even though I exchanged valve seals. I want to try a different type of oil (with different viscosity) but I still have not settled on more appropriate than this. I think Mobil 1 5W50 would be more appropriate.

Apparently the Triple QX is a spin off brand of Shell.

Ive used it before and not had any probs with it at all.

I've used it for the past year and half in mine, done 3 oil changes with it, just done another yesterday. The oil had only done 3,000 miles, but at that price, why not. Oil will be getting done again in another 3000,4000 miles when I drop the sump and replace the pick up.
It's not like I'm going to do it any harm putting fresh oil in more often :thumbsup:
Callum.

Reactions: Vex182