S3 BAM, 3 issues im having!

timjack_

Reaction score
hi, i have owned an a3 1.8t quattro for 5 years now and was faultless, i decided to buy an s3 8l at the beginning of the year , since buying it has developed 3 issues

1. there is a rotational grinding/rubbing noise when driving from what seams to be the n/s/f , this started off happening when lifting off the gas and coasting, but now has changed to when driving at constant speed and stops when accelerating or lifting off the gas , i have jacked up the front and spun both wheels an nothing can be heard and cannot see any spots where rubbing is taking place.

2. after the car is up to temp there is white smoke from the exhaust and a smell of burning oil. I'm guessing turbo oil seals unless anybody has any other suggestions?

3. idle when bad, found pipes on either side of valve under inlet manifold had come away from valve so replaced with genuine new unit which fixed idle, but now when turbo is boosting the boost just cuts out and there is a pop sound at the rear exhaust box, the only thing i did notice when fitting the pcv pipework that the rubber hose from the y piece to the pcv valve has been contaminated with oil and has collapsed

(this image is not mine but one i found on google images)

P1020623 3

any help would be apprenticed :)

Don’t know if it helps but I had all 3 of your issues and spent a fortune trying to repair it with no success, if you scroll through my posts you can see I done a lot of tinckering and could not solve the issue.
I replaced parts near to the 2k mark and was no better off.
I took the plunge and brought a new engine and have not been getting issues since.
How many miles has your car done ?
My engine failed internally at 120k.
I got an engine from the internet and gave it TLC before fitting it and replaced some parts and took all the new parts of the original engine and touch wood she has been good as gold.

Just to clarify, my head was cracked and valve stem seals were shot

Also if you feel your turbo is at fault I’ve got 2 in my shed in good order, I made the mistake of buying a new OEM turbo (nearly 1k) and it didn’t solve any issues, Also the new engine came with a turbo and I see the car running prior with no issues but I used the new turbo on my engine build

Reactions: timjack_