S3 Avus tyre pressures?

Y83OLK

Hulk Smash!
Reaction score
I have always ran my tyres at 34psi all round.
However, Ive just had them nitrogen filled.. The manager of my local tyre centre recommended 38psi - as thats what he always ran his old s3 at.
After a day of driving, the road noise now is aweful.

What do you guys recommend?

i would have thought that was way to high....
i always run mine 34 all round, lowered them to 32 for a recent track session. no expert on tyres pressures but they have always been ok.

Hi Callum,

Sounds too high a pressure to me, 34psi would be more like it. Out of interest why did you have them filled with nitrogen? Bear in mind the atmosphere is 78% Nirogen anyway I cant see any benefit.

Nige

i run 30 psi all around... whic I think is what is recommended in the handbook with little load.

Nitrogen doesnt expand when heated so give a great advantage if on trackdays or driving massivly hard. More pressure cause the tyre to dome a bit and give less contact on the road... ultimately giving shocking grip.

We found going round the ring would cause to tyres to build up an extra 4psi or so... quite shocking really

Hi Nige,
I had some winter tires put on. So they offered it to me to try (FOC) - being that they have only just got the equipment.

Supposidly it has a few benefits: Larger molecules help prevent air escape/ less corrosive (0% moisture)/ less pressure increase with temperature.

Could just be a sales pitch, but @ £1 per corner im not going to argue.

Is anyone brave enough to go out and check their fuelcap for the correct pressure? lol

A friend recently had Nitrogen in their tyres, came FOC. He said it made a clear difference on the road - trust him as well, bit of a mechanic/track day know-it-all/racer and a good one at that.

Recommended tyre pressures are actually indicated on a label on the fuel filler flap...

<tuffty/>

How many people would recommend lower psi in conditions such as those outside to get a little extra contact?

According to my OCD memory, the recommended pressure for 17's is 32psi all round according to the label inside the fuel filler flap (could be 30psi as Tufty says though).

Higher road noise could well be due to the fact that you've just fitted winter tyres, which will have a more open/deep tread pattern & a softer rubber compound. Let them down to 32psi and try it. I reckon the noise will be almost the same. They'll offer you more grip with slightly less pressure anyway. Even if you did want to put some more air in again, it's not as if you're going to lap the 'ring on them so you'll not miss out by adding free atmospheric air as opposed to nitrogen.

Ive always put in 30-32 on mine....

Mate all the air you breathe is made up of 78% Nitrogen and 21% oxygen, plus traces of others to make up the rest. For that reason I will stick to your average petrol station air compressor. I run at 34psi all round and find it fine for me on eagle f1 gsd3.

Hi

32psi front and 30psi rear for me, anything higher and you get increased road noise and the centre of the tyre wears out fast, plus its shakes the car from the rear when going over speed humps (slowly) !!

Cheers,
Dave