S3 Ara Blue - Black edition or not?

samo26

Reaction score
Well after been let down by Huddersfield Audi on a Navarra blue S3 I'm over the moon to see Ara blue introduced!

Got to let the garage know my final choice tomorrow soooo black edition or not? Pic attached!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    355.9 KB · Views: 1,200
Reactions: Audi Bairn
Personally I don't like the BE wheels much, so I'd go for the non-BE unless I was changing the wheel choice.

Reactions: Simon L, Gordo77, TDI-line and 1 other person
I prefer the chrome. The chrome grill in particular is really very good looking.

Reactions: Jassyo06, Simon L, Audi Bairn and 4 others
Personally I don't like the BE wheels much, so I'd go for the non-BE unless I was changing the wheel choice.

Agreed, probably one of Audi's least inspiring design and lacking the Black-Grey look of other BE's.

Reactions: Simon L, Audi Bairn, SpeedyFrog and 1 other person
I don't like the black diffuser around the exhaust. It's a shame you can't spec that chrome and the rest in black

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Simon L, Audi Bairn, deanshaw24 and 1 other person
If BE change the wheels! They sure don't look good...

Reactions: Essflee, Simon L, Audi Bairn and 2 others
I went with standard finish...did not like the wheels, rear diffuser or blacked out chrome grill surround. My chariot is supposed to be built in the next week or so. Then a 10 week wait for shipping etc.
Actually those wheels are marginally better than the Canadian choice, which looks awful in my opinion, also note my S3 is a saloon and the diffuser is different also

Last edited:
Reactions: Jassyo06, Simon L, Audi Bairn and 1 other person
I went with standard finish...did not like the wheels, rear diffuser or blacked out chrome grill surround. My chariot is supposed to be built in the next week or so. Then a 10 week wait for shipping etc.
When did you order ? what have they quoted for build as Iv asked to wait till 1st March.

Apparently factory shuts for two week at Christmas.

Reactions: Simon L and Audi Bairn
I ordered on September 1st and build date week 45 (November 5th). Ara Blue was available to order here way back in July but the start of production of that colour would be week 45.

I ordered on September 1st and build date week 45 (November 5th). Ara Blue was available to order here way back in July but the start of production of that colour would be week 45.
Oh I see so when my build gets submitted tomorrow March delivery will be around right? Don't want it sat for weeks waiting!

BE alloys similar to RS3? or am I forcing myself to like arghh!

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 11,102
Reactions: ChivsBang
S3 BE and RS3 compared the rs3 are 19's.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    248.9 KB · Views: 964
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    248.9 KB · Views: 727
1) I can't stand the BE 18" wheels.

2) I can't stand the S3 standard chrome grille and window trims, unless the car is black.

Wheels are easy to change, trims are not. I'd take the BE anyday. You can just get the optional wheels for the BE.

Reactions: Essflee and batch
Aluminium pack only!! Don't even consider the black!!

Those wheels are horrendous, get the 19's on it.. well worth it.

Reactions: Simon L
talked myself out of black edition tonight can't risk it with the alloys i don't think!...

Bang and olfusen is it worth the extra ££?

Reactions: Simon L and AudiNutta
Bang and olfusen is it worth the extra ££?

YES!!!!!! Please don't order one without! The Audi system is c**p. I had the basic system in my A3 which wasn't bad, the next up Audi system in my S3 with the sub and it's absolute nonsense. There is no bass whatsoever and when you turn it right up, you get 1/4 up through the volume and the speakers started to back off to protect themselves. Even on 0 bass, after 1/2 the speakers are protecting themselves and it's so disappointing.

I'm holding onto the hope of being able to retrofit B&O, regardless of cost.

Buy it!!

Reactions: S3drew and Simon L
YES!!!!!! Please don't order one without! The Audi system is c**p. I had the basic system in my A3 which wasn't bad, the next up Audi system in my S3 with the sub and it's absolute nonsense. There is no bass whatsoever and when you turn it right up, you get 1/4 up through the volume and the speakers started to back off to protect themselves. Even on 0 bass, after 1/2 the speakers are protecting themselves and it's so disappointing.

Buy it!!
Looks like you have made my mind up!! B and O it is!

Reactions: AudiNutta
I prefer the chrome. The chrome grill in particular is really very good looking.
i was thinking to do them black but you and the guys who liked your post about chrome looks nice has convienced me to keep it

Reactions: GSB and samo26
Chrome and B&O for sure. You can get shot of the window trims easily enough if they bother you but as said above chrome grill is where it's at :)

The BE wheels are bad news.........they make the RS3 ones look like the design triumph of the century in comparison lol

Reactions: batch, TDI-line, AudiNutta and 3 others
i was thinking to do them black but you and the guys who liked your post about chrome looks nice has convienced me to keep it

Chrome grille looks very ugly and dated...

Black optics all the way, unless your car is black!

Nah the chrome grill does not look ugly and dated. On darker colours it's the dogs ******** mate!
Plus if it's so fugly why would you even want it on a black car?!? :blink:
The window trims yeah it's 50/50...

Reactions: ammo-mcr, Jassyo06, Simon L and 2 others
Nah the chrome grill does not look ugly and dated. On darker colours it's the dogs ******** mate!

I reckon the chrome grill sets the S3 apart, in a subtle classy way. Agree about the contrast on darker colours.

Reactions: ammo-mcr, Simon L and SpeedyFrog
I'll be speccing different wheels if I get a BE next. Hideous. But I love the BSP styling.

Only a opinion of a black edition and it's alloys can be made by seeing one in the metal....and l am sure we will all like once someone posts a BE,l like me BSP etc etc,and l am sure the larger new front grille will look even better with more impact, the chrome grille looks uber classy full stop.....STUNNING infact

Reactions: TDI-line and samo26
Defo silver at the moment (only because of the wheels) but like jassy says can't really decide on the BE wheels until we see one properly.

I have always tended to favour the BE but for some reason not now. Maybe getting older has something to do with it.

Reactions: Simon L, Jassyo06 and samo26

I never said fugly. Maybe The chrome just doesn't look good unless it is on a black car or very dark colours like Navarrra blue for example.

I reckon the chrome grill sets the S3 apart, in a subtle classy way. Agree about the contrast on darker colours.

Oh, I agree that it sets the S3 apart, but from the "look and style" perspective, a blacked out grill looks far better unless the car is dark so that contrast is desired. Setting it apart as being cheesy and old fashioned is not ideal in my books.

Notice how the RS3 doesn't have chrome girlle. Even the non black optics version has blacked out honey-comb grille with matte silver surrounds. That looks far better than S3's chrome grille.

I never said fugly. Maybe The chrome just doesn't look good unless it is on a black car or very dark colours like Navarrra blue for example.

Oh, I agree that it sets the S3 apart, but from the "look and style" perspective, a blacked out grill looks far better unless the car is dark so that contrast is desired. Setting it apart as being cheesy and old fashioned is not ideal in my books.

Notice how the RS3 doesn't have chrome girlle. Even the non black optics version has blacked out honey-comb grille with matte silver surrounds. That looks far better than S3's chrome grille.

The 'two-tone' RS3 grill doesn't look right in my book either!

If you prefer black fine, but have one or the other lol

This is how you do an RS grill properly...................:whistle2:

1476808_10201784547790280_210768430_n.jpg

or this..........................

6b19f6bcc4807cc668515bd2a0d053c8.jpg

Reactions: Jassyo06 and Gordo77
As, I have said before the BE or "black optics" on the S3 does nothing for me. The standard chrome makes it stand out as an S3. Now the RS3 is a different matter love the front and rear black package...I have always been partial to looking at a nice rear end not as obvious as looking at the headlights :whistle2:

Reactions: Jassyo06 and Simon L
The 'two-tone' RS3 grill doesn't look right in my book either!

If you prefer black fine, but have one or the other lol

This is how you do an RS grill properly...................:whistle2:

1476808_10201784547790280_210768430_n.jpg

or this..........................

6b19f6bcc4807cc668515bd2a0d053c8.jpg

You mean honeycomb? Yeah, I like that!

Reactions: Simon L
As, I have said before the BE or "black optics" on the S3 does nothing for me. The standard chrome makes it stand out as an S3. Now the RS3 is a different matter love the front and rear black package...I have always been partial to looking at a nice rear end not as obvious as looking at the headlights :whistle2:

Maybe I am more subtle, I am not getting an S3 to stand out. Also, standing out in a bad way is pointless to me.

i disagree its defo not ugly and dated at all
the more i look at the black grill it reminds me of a standard
audi_a3_sportback_1.jpg
a3

i disagree its defo not ugly and dated at all
the more i look at the black grill it reminds me of a standard a3

To each their own, but the blacked out S3 is a lot more stylish than a non S-line A3. The non S-line A3 grille is not even black. It is a grey plastic.

I reckon that the S-line A3 grille with the glossy black looks even better than the S3 chrome grille.

Let's just accept that people have different preference and different taste.

To each their own, but the blacked out S3 is a lot more stylish than a non S-line A3. The non S-line A3 grille is not even black. It is a grey plastic.

I reckon that the S-line A3 grille with the glossy black looks even better than the S3 chrome grille.

Let's just accept that people have different preference and different taste.

i might plastic dip it to gloss black just to see if it grows on me if not ill rip it off and bring it back to chrome

Buy it!!

I have the Audi Sound System fitted in my Pre-FL S3 and once configured there is tons of bass & volume???....sound has to be configured for every selection though.....Radio/Media/SDCard etc......one configuration doesn't do all...if that makes sense ....but I'm well chuffed

Reactions: AudiNutta, Jassyo06 and Simon L
Setting it apart as being cheesy and old fashioned is not ideal in my books.

You say "old fashioned and cheesy", I say classy... :hi:

Chrome

Reactions: AudiNutta, ammo-mcr, TDI-line and 5 others