S3 APY, ROTA Grid drifts.

Hiya, old thread i know but! I just got myself a pair of these! 18x9.5 running 225's stretched, would 15mm spacers up front work? juuuuust enough clearance?

Last edited:
Yah, I know, just asking around anywhere I can maybe get info about this setup, very hard to find someone who can just say, these, these and these will fit, these will look like this, these will sit like this etc hard to find, but putting feelers out there, there about a 2 finger gap between my avis and the strut, around 1.5 cm, the new wheels are 1.3 cm ontop of that, 2.8 cm closer, 15mm spacer, 13mm between strut and wheel (hopefully), and my tyre is a 225 so rubber is well out of the way, I think it'll work

as i said in your other thread, think there is a guy running 9.5J ET 23 without spacers. If you ran your 9.5J ET38 wheels with 15mm spacers it would be the same as the other guys: 38mm - 15mm = 23mm -- so 15mm spacers should be fine

Thanks man, I actually went ahead and got a pack, 2 20mm, 2 15mm on your advice. Will need to roll the front fenders I'm sure, especially if I'm going to drop it, fingers crossed!

get some pics up when its all dont maty, will love to see this, hoping to buy a set of rota grid drifts my self

Rotas fitted perfectly, (5x100, 9.5 et38) 15mm spacer at front and 20mm at back. For those who want to know, the back definitely needed a spacer, hit top of the coil mount without! could probably get away with a 5mm at the back if you weren't running 9.5 with a 15mm at the front. Had to go 20mm rear for look and handling characteristics. The clearance between the inner rim protector and the strut in the front however is roughly 2-3mm so JUST fits. Tires are stretched 225 and managed to keep the tread in the arch (rears fine, front just), can definitely lower the car in the rear with no problems, may need to roll arches or camber to the get the fronts nicely inside. One thing to note, these are LOUD rims, the thick flat wall of each spoke gives a very audible propeller like tone, and the spacers create a frequency at around 80kmh that begins to ring and never lets off as speed increases. So, if you're willing to loose a bit of that soundless s3 interior for that wiiiide super phat look, then its well worth it!

The rota grids, and a bit of my bay :D IMG 0441IMG 0437IMG 0438

Thanks for the info mate, very tempted to get some as I think they look amazing on the S3 8L. Do you have anymore pics of the car/alloys please?

Thanks for the info mate, very tempted to get some as I think they look amazing on the S3 8L. Do you have anymore pics of the car/alloys please?

Here is some pics of how mine is sitting on rotas

Reactions: A3-Lee, millsy75 and Alex C
Hi Jim,

its Rosso Corsa Red!

Joe

Reactions: Alex C
Thanks, I take it they're the black ones? Bronze look pretty cool also

Priced up the alloys today and the two ET's discussed are available - ET23 and ET38. Is ET23 the better option of the two?

Will there be any difference in looks between the two ET's? One more deeper dish than another?

I see most people seem to run 225/40/18 would I get away with 235/40/18?

I also can't decide between hyper black and bronze!

Thanks for the input.

Priced up the alloys today and the two ET's discussed are available - ET23 and ET38. Is ET23 the better option of the two?

Will there be any difference in looks between the two ET's? One more deeper dish than another?

I see most people seem to run 225/40/18 would I get away with 235/40/18?

I also can't decide between hyper black and bronze!

Thanks for the input.

Sorry for the late reply!

I have 9.5j ET23 all round. ive put 15mm spacers on the rears now and a 7mm space on the front for clearance as my coilovers are pretty low down and im running 225/40/18

I believe the lower the ET the deeper dish, but im not 100% sure about that.

you spaced the rears for the fun of it or was there a clearance issue on the rear as well?

you spaced the rears for the fun of it or was there a clearance issue on the rear as well?

Yeah just for better fitment. you dont need the spacers on the rear though!

yeah, I was just thinking that it's got some serious poke then. I have 8.5J ET25 - 20mm spacers and was thinking of dropping it back to 10mm spacers because it looks odd from behind.

It would probably look ok if the wheels were actually wider though; like yours.

the do poke slightly but the fitment is spot on and i dont get any rubbing. i did have 20mm on there before but it rubbed when it would squat on acceleration! yeah it looks very fat from behind haha!