S3 APR Stage 1+

Dougs93

Reaction score
Looking at going apr stage 1+ on a manual s3

Anyone on here done the same? Looking to see if upgraded clutch is usually needed or if the stock is up to the job

Hi,
About a year ago, APR stopped the selling its stage 2+ software due to emissions problems in USA where the company is based.
You say you are only going stage 1+ but that is what I said and my S3 is at APR stage 2+ now!
APR is a generic map that does not take account of the hardware on your car. Far better to have a custom nap which will extract the benefits of your hardware, even at stage 1+ which needs nothing more than an uprated high pressure fuel pump but most will add a cold air intake as well.
My car has all of the very best hardware but it does not make the figures of a custom map from RTech for example.
After having the stage 2+ map, I continued to add items like a full exhaust, a better cold air intake and an intercooler.
I had it on the dyno at Awesome GTI expecting them to tweak the APR software but nothing was changed. The torque figure had increased due to the better hardware but the bhp did not really change.
The RTech figures could probably increase the BHP and torque figures by 20bhp and 20 ft lbs respectively and map round the compressor surge area between 3-4 k revs better than the APR software.
If I was starting now, I’d certainly have a custom map but only from a highly respected tuner.

Yeah I'd go to rtech but just a bit too far away (around 6 hours)

Mainly really wanting to know how the clutch copes with 1+ as if it is likely to just slip with the additional power/torque I'll likely just go stage 1 or direct to 2+

Nobody can give you a definite answer about your clutch. At stage 1+ my clutch was fine but the car had only done about 3.5K miles.
So it depends on mileage and how the clutch has been used. Best to budget for a clutch and be pleased if yours is OK.
Some of the high torque clutches can be heavy on the left leg and they can cause wear to the crank thrust bearings causing crank walk, especially if you don’t have the little wiring harness that removes the need to press the clutch before starting the car.
I have an RTS clutch and the pedal pressure is standard. However, they take a lot of running in and there have been sone reliability problems.
Midland VW are developing a hybrid clutch consisting of an RS3 flywheel and pressure plate coupled with a friction plate from a diesel model. Reports say the torque handling is impressive with a standard RS3 pedal feel. call Jody Lees at Midland VW for more information.

Reactions: Dougs93