S3 (and sports seats) front seat base leather creases?

Itguy

Reaction score
Hi Everyone

I've done just over 1000 miles in my car now and just wondered if anyone else is noticing any creases in the leather on the bolsters on the seat base yet?

I'm not a heavyweight (82kg, 6ft1) and my backside sits nicely in between the bolsters but on the outer edge (by the door) there are a couple of crease lines starting to appear. It's almost like they are from me getting in and out??

Need to take a pic in the daylight but just wondered if anyone else is seeing anything yet and if there is anything I can do to prevent?

It seems you or someone may have sat on the bolster to get out. I ban my mother sitting in the front now as doing this knackers the bolster.. Just need to be careful.
The major issue with Nappa in time is the base that can develop a 'saggy' look hence we have gone the Leather Alcantara route.

Audi are unlikely to help you and will bang on about leather is a natural product or you need to be careful and not sit on the bolster even getting out.

Haven't noticed that I've done that but it might be a habit. Must be more conscious of it.

Im 72kg, 5'11" and also notice that. Ive done 4,500 and its not getting any worse though. Just need to step over the bolster rather than use it to jack youre *** up.

Reactions: PilotAudi
Yep - mine too.

As Nervus says - just need to perfect the getting in/out technique to avoid the bolster.

Yep - mine too.

As Nervus says - just need to perfect the getting in/out technique to avoid the bolster.
Standard SE cloth seats avoid this completely.
Leather seats,like shoes will crease and stretch to suit its owners, totally unavoidable, its the price you pay for tighter fitting sports seating .

Reactions: Jinxy-S3
Standard SE cloth seats avoid this completely.
Leather seats,like shoes will crease and stretch to suit its owners, totally unavoidable, its the price you pay for tighter fitting sports seating .

SE Cloth seats are horrible IMHO.... Better quality leather or leather and alcantara or even leather/cloth is the way to go with Sports seats.

SE Cloth seats are horrible IMHO.... Better quality leather or leather and alcantara or even leather/cloth is the way to go with Sports seats.

Bit harsh on the SE owners but Nappa leather will generally always crease somewhere as it is a natural product and will flex and wear that way.

Agree though, sports seats look better with leather involved!

I actually find the less figure hugging SE seating more comfortable.The backrest bolsters can dig in too tightly on you sides ,even for someone with a medium frame. My friend has an M sport 320I and his seat bolsters are far too narrow and downright uncomfortable.
I have no need to be so tightly held in my seat,as i dont drive to work on a race track .......
You obviously have no idea how leather works,The only way to keep that smooth showroom look is to not sit on them!
Specking better quality leather will make not a jot of difference ,actually will make it worse.
Standard leather is the cheapest, thickest and hardest,thats why its standard.Upgrading gives you a thinner,more supple leather which will stretch and crease even further,like fine leather gloves.
I think Audi should have supplied the Sline with cloth and offered full leather as an option.Part leather always strikes me as the poor mans alternative for someone who cant quite stretch to a full leather interior IMO.No offence to S-line owners!
Check every pic on the Audi used car locator for s -line models,ALL will show creases on the outside bolsters.
I am happy not to have to climb out of a car in order not to touch a seat side for fear of creasing it.This can also give the impression of a more "used" interior compared with cloth which does not suffer this problem.

Last edited:
I have a huge knowledge about how leather works and I find your comment suggesting I don't very offensive. My aged family were Glovers and Dyers in the leather industry and my great aunt made queens coronation gloves.

Better quality leather in Audi speak Valcona is softer and far more crease resistant.

I prefer Coronation chicken! But as a newbie to leather seats - my expectations are that they will crease at some point with use. It doesn't stop the seats being excellent if they do - IMO.

...... and I find your comment suggesting I don't very offensive.

And yet you don't think your comment re Cloth seats might have been offensive to SE owners..... :tumble:

Ah well. Nevermind.

Reactions: alistairm1
And yet you don't think your comment re Cloth seats might have been offensive to SE owners..... :tumble:

Mr 8 . I suffixed my comment about SE seats with IMHO . Being accused directly about 'knowing nothing about leather' is somewhat different!

Just because you put IMHO doesn't make it less or more offensive.

It's not a get out clause for everything.

I have a huge knowledge about how leather works and I find your comment suggesting I don't very offensive. My aged family were Glovers and Dyers in the leather industry and my great aunt made queens coronation gloves.

Better quality leather in Audi speak Valcona is softer and far more crease resistant.
For someone with a "huge knowledge" of leather,why are you therefore asking/complaining about why your seats have creased?
Remind me never to buy a leather product from you.,gloves or otherwise.
Softer leather is NOT more crease resistant.By nature is thinner and more supple and will stretch more.

Last edited:
For someone with a "huge knowledge" of leather,why are you therefore asking/complaining about why your seats have creased?
Remind me never to buy a leather product from you.,gloves or otherwise.

I am not complaining. We chose leather and Alcantara as a practical option for the S3 as Nappa leather isn't that great a long term proposition for us IMHO..

Then you must have known leather will crease,therefore i cant understand your thread.
Full leather would be easier to keep by a huge margin.Wipe clean ! The suede /leather mix is a nightmare.Spill anything or try and clean general dirt is very hard to remove from the suede areas.
Finding it hard to understand why its more practical over full leather.

Opinion is opinion. IMHO you are trying to wind me up! ;-)

Well, one could then say that you have special needs. IMHO.

And that would make it all right then.

I think that would be pretty offensive.

For the person with the learning disability.

IMHO

Agreed James. 'IMHO' doesn't qualify any get out clause for using a sledgehammer to crack a nut.

There is a disturbing increase in the number of threads and posts (specifically in the 8V arena at present) where people of opposing views seem unable to co-exist comfortably side by side without eventually resorting to making personal or derogatory remarks. There is a disturbing level of ego displayed at times in respect of people's beliefs that their view is 'the only one' and anything else is just ludicrous.

We've been very lenient in a number of threads, please remember you are guests here and are obliged to abide by the same rules as everyone else.

Reactions: TTLAW and Louay
I agree Warren and James but all I said was I think SE seats are horrible IMHO... is that offensive? Apologies if it is.. but I think the Tory led Government are crap IMHO... it doesn't make my views 'right' in many peoples minds but they are my views.

I am all for expressing personal opinion and if I have offended with this comment I unreservedly apologise!

Without wanting to sugar coat the world I think the way I may have couched it would be 'fabric seats wouldn't be my first preference'. It's a more generic statement, less model specific (and therefore less inflammatory to SE owners who may then may go on to add fuel to the fire).

I think the best way to couch it is that people are clearly entitled to opinions, we accept that on ASN, but we want everybody to feel comfortable within the forum environment. Having been at this game for more years than I care to remember I find when people express with more productive language a thread is likely to deliver better value for readers rather than taking them on a winding road of interpersonal slanging and general detritus. Time is a scarce resource, so none of us would choose to read posturing (unless there is nothing but soaps on TV maybe around the 6-8pm slot???!). Be challenging yes, but not inflammatory. Of late there's been way too much aggression and posturing in the 8V section and the risk is it ruins it for everyone.

This isn't pointed at you specifically, it's EVERYONE.

Thanks Warren... Point taken but sugar coated speak is silly...how is this better ? ... SE fabric seats would be my last preference as I find them non-supportive, uncomfortable and I find the fabric becomes very warm in hot weather....

surely stating that SE seats are horrible IMHO is not offensive.. surely pandering around not saying what we think is dishonest and condescending IMHO!! ;-)

I certainly would defer from stating that you are totally ignorant buying a silver SE with FWD and fabric seats even though I might think it, hence I had wrongly it seems thought IMHO made it clear that 'it was in my humble opinion'...

1ugMcNv.jpg

Reactions: JohnM100 and J6YAK
Thanks Warren... Point taken but sugar coated speak is silly...how is this better ? ... SE fabric seats would be my last preference as I find them non-supportive, uncomfortable and I find the fabric becomes very warm in hot weather....

surely stating that SE seats are horrible IMHO is not offensive.. surely pandering around not saying what we think is dishonest and condescending IMHO!! ;-)

I certainly would defer from stating that you are totally ignorant buying a silver SE with FWD and fabric seats even though I might think it, hence I had wrongly it seems thought IMHO made it clear that 'it was in my humble opinion'...

I genuinely have no issue with anyone holding opinions of any kind, the difficulty is when you share those opinions openly in a public place the last thing we want is this forum becoming elitist or exclusive. There are a lot of people paying quite a lot of money for cars on the forum with a wide gammut of options, and they all have a place depending on needs / requirements.

In terms of stating the merits and experiences of our own choices, that's great, it's what we want. But I think there is a real risk that unless forum members can have a healthy respect for each other, and co-exist without demeaning each others cars eventually you end up with a disfunctional environment with very little sense of community (e.g. isn't that what a good forum is supposed to be about?). There are enough tumbleweed forums on the net where breakaway groups have taken up camp somewhere else because they have a short term temporary communality or interest. I'm determined to ensure ASN doesn't become one of those.

Reactions: Silky-S3 and PilotAudi
My super sports seats are creasing a bit, more my passenger one for some reason!

I dislike cloth seats too, especially in that browny/sand colour. Reminds me of old Rovers. But each to their own.