S3 and RS3 exhaust differences

HulkRS3

Kyalami RS3 Saloon
Reaction score
Been watching some videos of the RS3 and noticed how much more aggressive sounding it is. Obviously it's a 5 pot but they both sound the same, just the S3 sounds that bit louder and pops and bangs so much more. Anyone's S3 pop/bang quite loudly? I definitely want to louden my S3 up a bit when it arrives as they're a tad on the quite side for me.

I believe the popping and banging is done by retarding the ignition, nothing to do with the exhaust.

Yes I want pops and bangs as well! At least the FL has some of the noise, the PFL doesn't have any pops or bangs

Reactions: pburv
I believe the popping and banging is done by retarding the ignition, nothing to do with the exhaust.

Yes I want pops and bangs as well! At least the FL has some of the noise, the PFL doesn't have any pops or bangs

Having watched some videos the RS3 really sounds like the new Focus RS at times with the amount it pops and bangs. Would love for the S3 to do that!

It's much much louder with a window or door open eg you hear it as passers by do. I'm honestly surprised Audi got away with it!

TX.

Reactions: Snake Pliskin, pburv and Jassyo06
When I lent the RS3 with the sports exhaust on it I was amazed how loud it was! You could hear the thing for miles :)

Reactions: pburv and jimojameso
When I lent the RS3 with the sports exhaust on it I was amazed how loud it was! You could hear the thing for miles :)
I think the RS3's exhaust has the perfect level of noise and tone,I've heard a RS6 with a RS akrapovic exhaust on, now that is very very loud and antisocial..... brutal in fact

Reactions: Richierich37, Snake Pliskin, pburv and 1 other person
I only have the humble '16 pre facelift S3 with the standard quad pipe exhaust and DSG box. In dynamic, when all the flaps are open, it sounds aggressive and throaty with a lovely burble at idle. When you give it the beans it has a snarling edge to it all the way up the range with a brilliant 'thrrrrap' sound when you bang through the gears at high revs.

It's enough for un initiated passengers, with closed windows, to ask 'does it always do that'?

I wouldn't actually want it any louder - I love the fact it doesn't really stand out to non Audi fans but still delivers performance that slaps down mostly all comers!

Reactions: Jassyo06, pburv, batch and 1 other person
rs3 sound is just perfect! hope our s3 could sound like that.. papappapap pa pa

Agreed the RS3 exhaust is superb .... hit 3,500 rpm with windows down in a built up area for lots of resonance and its a fantastic sound :yes:
for driver and passers by :bluecar::dashsymbol::dashsymbol::zap::zap::speakerthree::speakerthree::sunglasses:

Reactions: Scotty2011, pburv, Jassyo06 and 1 other person