S3 alloys stolen last night

Fergenberg

Reaction score
Hi all,

Brief intro - long time lurker, first time poster. Unfortunately am posting under the worst circumstances - I came out of my house this morning to find one side of my S3 up on bricks, with both driver side wheels stolen. Looks like they've tried to take the passenger side too, but were probably disturbed so just made off with two.

I'm based in SW London, so if you're from the area/Surrey/Kent then please do keep an eye out for any classifieds.

Having Audi replace them - any advice to stop them just coming back and taking them again much appreciated!

Cheers,

Reactions: Kugaman1
Not the best of news! I am surprised they managed to steal them with locking wheel nuts?

I thought the same too - although, have heard that professionals can break through these fairly easily in short time.

Car is still less than a month old...! Only picked her up end of January.

Gutted, sorry to hear that. I'm I'm east London and worry about this sorta thing all the time.

Seems nothing is safe these days!

I hope you get something sorted. Maybe someone can advise on a better way of protecting our wheels :(

Thanks for the tip - I had a Google this morning and saw this recommend a few times.

What's more odd is that the alarm wasn't triggered, there should be shock sensors apparently in the wheel arches?

Sorry to hear this mate.

Not what you want to hear but the problem is they'll most likely be back again to steal the brand new ones.

Happened to one of my neighbours not to just one of his BMWs but both. They got done twice each within the space of a week so that's four sets they made off with.

Sorry to hear this, you could always try a second different set of locking nuts. McGard do some with rotating heads that make it harder to remove without the correct key.

I don't think there are shock sensors in the wheel arches. The car alarm monitors the output from the ESP module that measures yaw and lateral acceleration to detect movement in the car. I managed to set the alarm off on my car when I was changing the wheels over as the car was locked at the time. I think if you jack it slowly enough the alarm may not trigger.

I don't think there are shock sensors in the wheel arches. The car alarm monitors the output from the ESP module that measures yaw and lateral acceleration to detect movement in the car. I managed to set the alarm off on my car when I was changing the wheels over as the car was locked at the time. I think if you jack it slowly enough the alarm may not trigger.

That's a fair point, I always set my alarm off changing the tyre. I guess a clifford or thatcham cat 1 alarm would do a better job

^ This

And if you press the "Lock" button on your remote more than once, it disables the interior and lift detection.

Have you got any exterior lighting? Also it might be worth investing in a security cam.

Thanks for responses guys - Audi roadside driver recommended the exact same thing as MA3RC re the two (or even three) different sets of locking nuts, as reduces the chance of thieves having correct keys. He said apart from that, there isn't much else you could possibly do

Out of interest, where abouts in SW London?

Without being too specific - Clapham/Battersea. Are you local?

I'm from that part of the world (Kingston), but I'm up north these days

Thanks for responses guys - Audi roadside driver recommended the exact same thing as MA3RC re the two (or even three) different sets of locking nuts, as reduces the chance of thieves having correct keys. He said apart from that, there isn't much else you could possibly do

Having 2 different sets of locking nuts on my old ST220 years ago was the norm.

HIKVISION HD IP camera system with EXIR infra red LED is the way I went. Had problems with people driving over the end of my drive which ended up someone driving over my pressure washer lance and breaking it.

Shortly after I bought and installed the IP camera system myself. Best thing I've bought for security a full months recording at 1080p.

G

I've been victim to scum several times, and IMO the best option is prevention. We have 4 LED security lights, they are only of any use if it wakes you up etc as they are not bothered in the slightest. In fact, it helps them!

The Police also advised that if they are caught, the images have to be crystal clear to be of any use. The last lot I caught on the rear decking were wearing double hoodies, the camera would have had to be at head height and pointing directly at them to get a good picture. Even if they had caught them, they hadnt actually committed a crime being in my garden armed to break in. Oh what great laws we have in the UK!

Back in the day, these were popular for removing wheel nuts - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal...478131?hash=item2ca8424bf3:g:fgoAAOxyhS9TjI~U

Not sure of the design for the OE locking nuts.

Dave

Wheel etching should be the norm for all expensive alloys and be able to be done at the main dealerships, inside of the wheel, you wouldn't even notice it when they were on! Then a sticker in the window to say that it's been done.

Reactions: Val91 and pburv
Scroats!
As I said earlier, no one is going to recognise those beale ends from those pictures.
Dave

I'm a CCTV installer and install loads of cameras at houses to watch cars now. It gets set up to view online on there mobile phones and laptops. Also set the CCTV up to motion detection so if it detects motion during the night an alarm goes off on the mobile.
The cameras are 2mp HD 1080p so crystal clear picture.
You should do this along with motion security lights.

C
I'm a CCTV installer and install loads of cameras at houses to watch cars now. It gets set up to view online on there mobile phones and laptops. Also set the CCTV up to motion detection so if it detects motion during the night an alarm goes off on the mobile.
The cameras are 2mp HD 1080p so crystal clear picture.
You should do this along with motion security lights.
What would the cost be...say for a 3 camera set up???

Here's a CCTV picture I took it from the recordings from the other day

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 429
Reactions: Djs3saloon
That's the quality I want ...so plain as day if it catches someone.....I'm awaiting a price from a local guy for a 3 camera.set.up with the dome type cameras. ..and think these are 2mp cameras aswell...just wondering on what price I'm looking at...as unsure what to expect price wise?

Yeah you can zoom in on play back and live view it and can see regi plates it's the best of stuff.
It would cost no more than 750 to install including everything and setup for your phones. That can be your guide to see what the guy quotes you.
I done the singer Amy MacDonalds house also that was to watch her Ferrari but lol

Image Image The IRs on these ones are really good now. Took a picture from right now to show you.
If your on your iPhone turn the phone side ways for the bigger picture can see the quality is still high at night

Reactions: Martinbanshee and Ghost
Very good quality
.. But can you look back at the footage and see who's drawn a face on your car roof? :)

Reactions: Chris5
You can get onyx 2MP IR dome cameras for around 60-80 they are good quality and you can buy them online.
I buy from a company you need to register your business with but onyx ones can be bought online.
You then need to buy a TVI DVR which can be between 200/350 then you have to buy the cable, connectors to join the cable to camera and a power supply.