S3 Alcantara

scooby2000

Reaction score
Hi,

Just about to press the button on a new S3 and was going to choose the alcantara over the leather. Loved it in the TT and it wore very well. Anyone whose ordered it on their S3 had any wear issues so far? Trying to find pics, but there don't seem many about and the Audi demo's all had leather, so haven't been able to see how they look yet.

Alcantara is the best wearing (hardiest) option.

My previous 8P still looked like new after 38k miles, and the current 8V is still looking virginal after 7k miles.

The other reason I went Alcantara was that I couldn't live with that fact that if you order Nappa, you don't get Nappa everywhere, you get velvet shoulder pads and sides!

It's the best option to avoid the saggy bottom syndrome associated with Nappa (lots of previous threads on here about that) ;)

If you look after the leather then it's not too bad, In my previous car after 20,000 miles the leather was still as new. Every 6 months or so give it a wipe over with Dr Leather wipes or similar and it firms the leather back up and restores that lovely leather smell :)

Personally I love alcantara. Like V8 said it wears the best and it splits the cabin up nice with a split between leather and alcantara. Looks especially good if you have spec'd Mono.pur.

My brother had it in his S4 for 5 years and still looked amazing. I dont think you could say the same for leather.

Just a bit dissapointing they dont do the SSS in Alacantara.

Just got my A3 with Alacantra and it's excellent, very comfortable. I had Nappa in my old 8P and it was nice but on the very cold and very hot days it was a hard to sit on. I'm pretty sure the Alacantra will take that factor away.

Nearly 9,000 miles later (already!?) and my alcantara looks just the same as new, glad I chose it over the full leather.

I ordered alcantara for mine as i'm not so keen on full leather seats, After seeing it in the flesh in the showroom i'm glad i specced it. Plus the wife has it in her Ibiza and it feels like it holds you in your seat a bit better than leather. Although i'm basing that on the leather in my Mk2 Leon Cupra which is a wee bit harder that the nappa.

That initial cold/hot seat thing is also an issue for me.

si.

Hi,

Just about to press the button on a new S3 and was going to choose the alcantara over the leather. Loved it in the TT and it wore very well. Anyone whose ordered it on their S3 had any wear issues so far? Trying to find pics, but there don't seem many about and the Audi demo's all had leather, so haven't been able to see how they look yet.
Hi & :welcome!: to ASN!

More details on the proposed S3 plez ;)

Apparently alcantara has more 'grip' when the driving becomes more spirited I'm told :D

Hi & :welcome!: to ASN!

More details on the proposed S3 plez ;)

Apparently alcantara has more 'grip' when the driving becomes more spirited I'm told :D

It does, I can vouch for this as I test drove full leather and purchased alcantara. Definitely less bum slide :D

Reactions: Martinbanshee and veeeight
I have always loved Black Leather Seats in my car. Also I was pleased I could get the Black Headliner for no extra cost. These options were the most important to me for the inside of the car.

Some people prefer alcantra or cloth. I think all of these options are all personal taste.

It is what suits each individual best.

Reactions: Psyman79
kLcoFVR.jpg

Reactions: AudiBoy1976
Anyone know the movie .."...that's beautiful, what is that? Velvet?" Ha!

In my 8P the leather seat shaped round my butt, just thought I'd share that.

Full leathers for me, though in summer they won't be as comfortable as cloth.

I've just taken delivery of my S3 with alcantara and mono pur and it has re-affirmed why I specified it. There is a 2-tone light/dark effect which goes a long way (ihmo) towards getting away from the dark claustrophobic place that can be modern German car interiors if left as the standard black leather, grey plastic, black headlining.

Reactions: Rob2k68 and Pulp84
After 110 royal deeside miles today i can safely say that i'm glad i specced alcantara. Parade red seats in S3 demo seemed quite slippy. And i forgot just how cold they can get this time of year.

Si.

Does anybody have any pics I was also just about to send my configurator code to the dealer with full leather but now having second thoughts ?

My current car a Leon FR has full leather and that has gone pretty saggy - maybe I'm too bony !! Also, the split of the panels doesn't help only having a single large panel that you sit on I much prefer how the Golf leather seats deal with this.

Cheers.

Any Pics of a 8V S3 with the alcantara seats for the lazy Hound ;) :D

Last edited:
Pictures as requested by the OP. S3 black Alcantara seats (and silver headlining)

Attachments

• IMG_0002.JPG
    IMG_0002.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 1,069
  • IMG_0003.JPG
    IMG_0003.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 878
  • IMG_0004.JPG
    IMG_0004.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 1,511
  • IMG_0005.JPG
    IMG_0005.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 1,048
  • IMG_0006.JPG
    IMG_0006.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 18,471
  • IMG_0009.JPG
    IMG_0009.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 1,009
The alcantara changes the interior completely IMO. For the better I may add. Looks more 'sporty' :thumbs up:

img_0006-jpg.45650

Full leather -

Reactions: AndrewB
Along with mono pur it makes the interior look coordinated and special, imho.

Reactions: Psyman79
I like the look of the Alcantara but I still think the the full leather looks better, more premium I suppose. The clean, uncluttered look of the A/S3 interior suits the full leather rather than 2-tone of Alcantara IMO.

Reactions: RYuill, DommyR and Blackwhite
Someone needs to be a star and do the same shots that @Hartwell did but for the super sports seats so i can compare and make my final decision.:):kiss:

I was tempted to phone and change to Alcantara, I asked around friends and work mates to see what they said...most of them said if it's the same price stick with leather! One guy even said and I quote "It's a fast car, if one of your passengers sh*ts their pants then leather is easier to clean"...hmmm that thought was enough lol.

Reactions: Martinbanshee and Blackwhite
You can't beat the diamond stitched leather IMO - the original and best

Reactions: mcnallys
You can't beat the diamond stitched leather IMO - the original and best
Its just a pity Audi couldn't do the seat bases on the SSS to match the backs on the S3's :think:

Like the new TT's SSS
TTS140011_large.jpg

so on post #26 the lower picture of the leather, is full leather on all surfaces and is Nappa leather on the these standard sports seats?

On the lower pic of post #26 is the Nappa Leather Option, leather everywhere except the shoulder sections, which are velvet.

so the only way to remove velvet entirely is to get super sports seats - really dont like velvet ! anyone have a front on picture of the full seat covered in nappa?

Reactions: Rob2k68