S3 Akrapovic/Scorpion Exhaust

Dandanfings

Reaction score
Thoughts?

It's the new scorpion exhaust system but with golf gti Akrapovic tips.... Which required a lot of persuasion to fit!

Reactions: Jackspratt85, Martinbanshee, AndyB-S3 and 3 others
I like it ! - the plan view stagger of the inboard pipe being longer looks really good.

Can I ask why not go with the Scorpion tips what do they look like ?

I like it ! - the plan view stagger of the inboard pipe being longer looks really good.

Can I ask why not go with the Scorpion tips what do they look like ?

I had these tips from a abandoned project and I love their understated looks.

As for the sound it's amazing but I have a issue presently which only effects DSG (or my car) will give a review soon once I have confirmed a few things with scorpion.

It's non valved and has a deep athoritive tone which is pretty awesome :)

Reactions: Rob2k68 and AndyB-S3
Too loud without the valve? What's it like sitting at motorway speeds?

Those tips look awesome. Did you go for a non resonated system?

I'm ok with valves and non valved but what's res and non res - I take it it's different to a catted v non catted down pipe ?

I'm ok with valves and non valved but what's res and non res - I take it it's different to a catted v non catted down pipe ?
The resonator is the box that sits in between the downpipe and the rear silence. Basically it's function is to reduce the noise level. A non resonated system basically deletes it so you have just a straight pipe between the rear silencer and the downpipe and it make things much louder.

The resonator is the box that sits in between the downpipe and the rear silence. Basically it's function is to reduce the noise level. A non resonated system basically deletes it so you have just a straight pipe between the rear silencer and the downpipe and it make things much louder.

Ah gotcha ! Thanks for that ;o)

Think I'll be looking for catted, ressed and valved then. !

I'm guessing that as Scorpion make the Revo down pipe that a full system is geared up for stage 2 ?

Think I'll be looking for catted, ressed and valved then. !
IMO if you want resonated I would personally suggest you don't go for a valved exhaust. I have a non resonated non valved Milltek turbo back exhaust with a catless downpipe and it's not too intrusive. The resonated and valved would probably sound similar to the fake sound the car pumps through the speakers. When deciding on any Stage 2 the exhaust brand shouldn't matter as long as you get a good quality system.

Reactions: Rob2k68
^^ Cheers Buddy - I need to do some more reading up on this. If you go non valved what happens to the electrical connector that operates the valves ?

Also wonder if you can dial down the fake sound in VCDS you could in the Leon FR I had.

^^ Cheers Buddy - I need to do some more reading up on this. If you go non valved what happens to the electrical connector that operates the valves ?
Mine threw an error code so it needed to be disabled with VCDS then I just cable tied it and taped it up.

They only sell with the resonator and I can assure you it's needed!
If anything might need to provide a bigger one judging by my issues.... Vid incoming to explain!

looks mint , I believe they are working on your issues so im sure it will get sorted

tips look mint

looks mint , I believe they are working on your issues so im sure it will get sorted

tips look mint

Thanks, yep they are and it should be a simple fix.
Guys if you are on the fence about an exhaust, this is the one it sounds so much better than the 'other' one on the market!.
I need a good mic setup as the go pro just cant catch the exhaust note :-(

Can someone explain why you wouldn't go with the valved option?
It's just personal preference. I like to actually know that my car has an exhaust especially when I start it up. The stock valves stay closed a lot of the time and if I'm not mistaken even in dynamic they'll close when the car is idle. I've also seen a lot of aftermarket exhaust issues related to the valves. People get squeaking sounds and need to lubricate it like crazy to stop it from squeaking.

Thanks, yep they are and it should be a simple fix.
Guys if you are on the fence about an exhaust, this is the one it sounds so much better than the 'other' one on the market!.
I need a good mic setup as the go pro just cant catch the exhaust note :-(
Personally I don't think any exhaust sounds like it does in a video. I just installed a Milltek turbo back exhaust and it sounds nothing like the videos I've heard. It's much louder and has a totally different tone. But pretty much any exhaust sounds better than stock. I know the Milltek sounds good simply because my girlfriend hates it and says it's too loud. Milltek and Remus are pretty much the only branded aftermarket exhausts I have access to so my choice was pretty easy to make.

I'll be able to experience and comment about the powervalve option soon

Im still looking fot all aftermarket exhaust options. I will get a valved one because I have no choose. When TUV inspection (or whatever it calls) arrive there are a noise check and the legal limit to my S3 is 83db. :(

Sorry for my english.

Can someone explain why you wouldn't go with the valved option?

Because the valves don't really work properly with an aftermarket exhaust, they are designed for the stock one.
Not going to go into depth here but until a controller box is brought out for them to work specifically with a aftermarket exhaust... I just don't see the point.

Are scorpion only doing a 5door exhaust or is that all they've had chance to develop as yet?

It's just personal preference. I like to actually know that my car has an exhaust especially when I start it up. The stock valves stay closed a lot of the time and if I'm not mistaken even in dynamic they'll close when the car is idle. I've also seen a lot of aftermarket exhaust issues related to the valves. People get squeaking sounds and need to lubricate it like crazy to stop it from squeaking.

Personally I don't think any exhaust sounds like it does in a video. I just installed a Milltek turbo back exhaust and it sounds nothing like the videos I've heard. It's much louder and has a totally different tone. But pretty much any exhaust sounds better than stock. I know the Milltek sounds good simply because my girlfriend hates it and says it's too loud. Milltek and Remus are pretty much the only branded aftermarket exhausts I have access to so my choice was pretty easy to make.
Valves are fully open on start up and tick over , I believe they only close on the move , the settings arnt great on the mmi but in Eco mode on the motorway the exhaust is pretty silent so it depends if you want to have the best of both worlds

Valves are fully open on start up and tick over , I believe they only close on the move , the settings arnt great on the mmi but in Eco mode on the motorway the exhaust is pretty silent so it depends if you want to have the best of both worlds

Do they close between 2000 and 3000rpm?
If so then that solves everything!

Do they close between 2000 and 3000rpm?
If so then that solves everything!
I was told that yes they close to reduce noise at certain points in the rev range , they sit open all the time , its a trick for eu noise regulations

also the car has to be moving for the valves to close , so even on tickover in eco they will be open , so its loudish all the time at traffic lights etc

Its also very deep which sounds mint

also the car has to be moving for the valves to close , so even on tickover in eco they will be open , so its loudish all the time at traffic lights etc

Its also very deep which sounds mint

Yep it is deep, damn I might have to get these valves then...

you think a bigger res box would work ?

For sure a different resonator should cure it, but this is a very specific frequency at at certain rpm so would need the exact right resonator.

For sure a different resonator should cure it, but this is a very specific frequency at at certain rpm so would need the exact right resonator.
its probably when the exhaust has pressure to push from both pipes creating that instant boom, if you change its goes into a slight drone

Could just permanently seal two of them but then that's a bit silly in the grand scheme of things.
I now have to drive 200 miles with it this Saturday which is not going to be fun

Id like to hear this problem? Is it a drone or just too loud? Looks a decent system and price looks sensible too

A rather insane amount of drone from 2500-3000 then it's gone.
Idle- 2000 is pretty boomy but is heavenly in comparison.

No time to get it looked at either so I'm stuck for two weeks

I'm pretty sure that they're closed on startup judging by how soft it is. The Milltek valves work exactly the same as stock valves and it's definitely quieter on start up. I think the valves are linked to both throttle position and rpm. Except in dynamic it opens earlier. It's pretty easy to tell when the valves are open because it sounds muffled.

Reactions: Fiddie