S3 - after 52months something went wrong!

msdmjb

Reaction score
After 32k miles my 2014 manual S3 finally has an issue and it is the first issue I have had..........traction control light in 3rd at 70mph highlighted it! Last week or so traction control been flashing a lot in 1st, 2nd and 3rd so did some checking, traction off and boot it in 1st resulted in pretty much remaining stationary with the front wheels spinning like I was 18years old again!! Currently very easy to spin the fronts and surprised me how often Haldex must be engaged as the car is absolutely useless at controlling the performance.

No warning lights on dash but Carista shows two error codes relating to the Haldex. It had a Haldex oil change about 3k miles ago but I don't think anything was done about the filter. Interestingly when I spoke to the dealer today (in Europe not the UK) he did say that Audi are aware of filter issue and asking dealers to check them.

Interesting to see if it is 'just' the Haldex pump or anything more.

After 32k miles my 2014 manual S3 finally has an issue and it is the first issue I have had..........traction control light in 3rd at 70mph highlighted it! Last week or so traction control been flashing a lot in 1st, 2nd and 3rd so did some checking, traction off and boot it in 1st resulted in pretty much remaining stationary with the front wheels spinning like I was 18years old again!! Currently very easy to spin the fronts and surprised me how often Haldex must be engaged as the car is absolutely useless at controlling the performance.

No warning lights on dash but Carista shows two error codes relating to the Haldex. It had a Haldex oil change about 3k miles ago but I don't think anything was done about the filter. Interestingly when I spoke to the dealer today (in Europe not the UK) he did say that Audi are aware of filter issue and asking dealers to check them.

Interesting to see if it is 'just' the Haldex pump or anything more.
Hopefully nothing too serious mate!

Visited the local dealer, confirmed new Haldex pump required.
Likely starved of oil due to clocked filter (our collaborative view without any evidence, head tech is a car nut) so will ask to have a look at the filter once it is removed. Interestingly before realising the car was under warranty there was a definite interest in when the Haldex oil was changed, felt a little like if I hadn't had it done they might have argued a bit over it. Almost pays for the extended warranty cost on this single issue alone.

When I was in there a 2014 A4 was getting its DSG gearbox replaced at a cost of >5500 euro. No goodwill from Audi as oil hadn't been changed at required mileage so for you DSGers make sure you get it done, they do go wrong.

Reactions: Jcbmally, NevMan and S32B
Interestingly before realising the car was under warranty there was a definite interest in when the Haldex oil was changed, felt a little like if I hadn't had it done they might have argued a bit over it. Almost pays for the extended warranty cost on this single issue alone.

When I was in there a 2014 A4 was getting its DSG gearbox replaced at a cost of >5500 euro. No goodwill from Audi as oil hadn't been changed at required mileage so for you DSGers make sure you get it done, they do go wrong.
What is the recommended miles/years to have it done?

40k mate, at lest that is the case on my 2018 Q5, bit sounds a familiar mileage from other threads:

7fc7ca2fabc15b44977963bf6937ac34.jpg

Reactions: S32B
What is the recommended miles/years to have it done?
I would look to do it much sooner than 50k, 10 to 20k would be my advice.

Reactions: NevMan and S32B
I get snail mail and calls from Audi (in my case Finchley Road Audi) before such items are due for change (e.g cam belt, DSG oil) like clockwork - for a 13 year old car.
I guess some dealers are better than others?

Reactions: NevMan
40k mate, at lest that is the case on my 2018 Q5, bit sounds a familiar mileage from other threads:
lol so for me doing my current mileage! When the car's 10 years old then :D

lol so for me doing my current mileage! When the car's 10 years old then :D

Or in my case, another car, as generally change every 2 years or so, but may keep this a little longer

Reactions: S32B
Visited the local dealer, confirmed new Haldex pump required.
Likely starved of oil due to clocked filter (our collaborative view without any evidence, head tech is a car nut) so will ask to have a look at the filter once it is removed. Interestingly before realising the car was under warranty there was a definite interest in when the Haldex oil was changed, felt a little like if I hadn't had it done they might have argued a bit over it. Almost pays for the extended warranty cost on this single issue alone.

That’s cheap. I was told replacement rs3 gearbox is £15000 and engine £25000

my s3 2014 had a serious issue re massive hessitation under hard acceleration, basically hitting a limiter. Turns out it was a faulty fuel pipe. Luckily under extended warranty. Likely extend the warranty again but might remap the car.

Last edited:
Many members including myself have been very annoyed at the fact Audi don’t clean the filter on the haldex and only change the oil (they may be doing it now I don’t know) but I remember thinking at the time, if you don’t clean the filter when replacing the oil then what’s the point?

We don’t do oil changes and leave the old filter in there. Hopefully main dealers will start to clean the little mesh gauze from now on - what’s more annoying is it only takes <5mins to wipe clean/remove the gunk saving the owner £££ on replacement Haldex.

06323FA2 CB57 4E8A B592 7AA7C0A7D506

Had my 40k service a little early yesterday and kinda glad I did.

A nice dirty Haldex filter which is now cleaned and treated to new oil.

Might be placebo but feels slightly smoother now.

Reactions: TomBlueS3