Facelift S3/A3 convertible

RSS-S3

Reaction score
Hi Team Audi,

Has anyone got or had long term experience of either the FL A3 cabriolet or FL S3 cabriolet?

Currently driving a new A5 S-Line cabriolet, whilst my cars in for Bodywork.

In short Its a ****** lovely car and has changed my perspective of Convertibles...

But I wonder what the A3/S3 cabrio is like?

Fire away.........

Reactions: AL_B
Took out a 2.0TFSI convertible A3 before buying my S3 Saloon, and had I not needed the practicality of a 4 or 5 door, I'd have been all over an S3 convertible. I ended up buying a cheap MX5 to sit alongside my S3 just because I wanted the option of roof down when I didn't need the practicality!

Sure I could have gone the other way around, but I needed my main car to be the reliable and warrantied one!

Reactions: AL_B and RSS-S3
Took out a 2.0TFSI convertible A3 before buying my S3 Saloon, and had I not needed the practicality of a 4 or 5 door, I'd have been all over an S3 convertible. I ended up buying a cheap MX5 to sit alongside my S3 just because I wanted the option of roof down when I didn't need the practicality!

Sure I could have gone the other way around, but I needed my main car to be the reliable and warrantied one!

As soon as the roof drops, its like all the worries in the world disappear. Its just you and sky...........Lots of sky!!!

Have a FL S3 cab and absolutely love it, if its not raining the roof is down.

Woould post some pictures but don't know how to reduce the file size.

Reactions: RSS-S3
IMG 2534

Attachments

• IMG_2534.JPG
    IMG_2534.JPG
    74.8 KB · Views: 168
Reactions: MikeParkin, RSS-S3, Rob2k68 and 2 others
I had an A3 cabrio as a courtesy car in 2015. We kept it for about 4 days and fell in love with it. Wife has always wanted a convertible so I rashly suggested that when she retires she might like one as her retirement present (mine was an A3 Sportback). She is retiring 12 months earlier than expected and we are expecting her cabrio to arrive later this week or possibly early next week.

One concern I have: does being so exposed with the roof down attract unwelcome attention? Possibly being over-cautious but I can imagine idiots throwing things into the car when driving through towns. And then you read about the increase in acid attacks. Maybe I'm overthinking it, but I do worry a bit about my wife's safety.

I drive mine up to the London Stadium for West Ham home matches and cut through bandit country on the way to/from there, with the roof down weather permitting and have never had any issues.

Love the expression "bandit country"! Thanks for your reassurance.

I'd love an S3 convertible but I had to be practical and get a sportback. I have had a convertible Morris Minor since I was 17 (still in the garage 28 years later). Once you have had a convertible nothing else will do (even if it's not a glamorous convertible)!

I'd love an S3 convertible but I had to be practical and get a sportback. I have had a convertible Morris Minor since I was 17 (still in the garage 28 years later). Once you have had a convertible nothing else will do (even if it's not a glamorous convertible)!
I got the cab on the basis that it was usually just me in my old car and sometimes one other. If the whole family was going out we took the Mrs's SUV.
Since I got it we all go out in the cab, so there are endless arguments on who has to go in the back and having to move the front seats forward

I had an A3 cabrio as a courtesy car in 2015. We kept it for about 4 days and fell in love with it. Wife has always wanted a convertible so I rashly suggested that when she retires she might like one as her retirement present (mine was an A3 Sportback). She is retiring 12 months earlier than expected and we are expecting her cabrio to arrive later this week or possibly early next week.

One concern I have: does being so exposed with the roof down attract unwelcome attention? Possibly being over-cautious but I can imagine idiots throwing things into the car when driving through towns. And then you read about the increase in acid attacks. Maybe I'm overthinking it, but I do worry a bit about my wife's safety.

I've heard stories of when you're stopped at a traffic light, people reaching into cabin and grabbing watches off wrists, or handbags on passenger seats.

I had to stop the sister from getting one for her safety as she does live in Birmingham and sometimes go through the dodgy areas lol.

When you're stopped at traffic lights there's also the sneering from those who think you're posing. I got a bit of that when I was out in the loaner 2 years ago. If you bite back, they can come up to the car, thump you and run away whereas you are stuck where you are sitting. That didn't happen, by the way, but I did suddenly feel vulnerable.

When you're stopped at traffic lights there's also the sneering from those who think you're posing. I got a bit of that when I was out in the loaner 2 years ago. If you bite back, they can come up to the car, thump you and run away whereas you are stuck where you are sitting. That didn't happen, by the way, but I did suddenly feel vulnerable.

6' 6" and 22 stone

Not to say Im invincible,
but It does have its benefits!

As much as I love the S3 (in all its forms)

There is always that niggly feeling that the reigns are being pulled in on these fast cars.

My heart says buy a S3 Cab and enjoy its noises, but then theres my head.
Which leaves me feeling that a nice Cab. S-line A3 DSG with either a 1.5tsi or 2.0 TDi would be perfect (with toys of course ;) )

But its that good old heart and head debate again!.........

My partner has had her golf cab about a year now, she's done around 12000 miles and had no 'problems' with it. Other than the odd 'jealously look' and wolf whistle. She said she feels a bit concious when pulled up at the lights sometimes but having the windows up makes her feel a bit safer. It's her first of many cabs to come. My next car will likely be a s3/a5 cab.

T
My partner has had her golf cab about a year now, she's done around 12000 miles and had no 'problems' with it. Other than the odd 'jealously look' and wolf whistle. She said she feels a bit concious when pulled up at the lights sometimes but having the windows up makes her feel a bit safer. It's her first of many cabs to come. My next car will likely be a s3/a5 cab.

The new A5 Cabriolet is sublime!

Reactions: Jassyo06 and KieranJ22
We have had our 1.4 cod s-line cab for a 15 months without any problems, performance and fuel economy are good and more importantly it's a good looking cabriolet and many people have commented on.
Interior space is o.k. as long as you don't want to carry 4 full size adults for too far.
We sat in the new A5 cab at Goodwood FOS last week and that is a stunningly good car, the A3 cab is not far behind in style and technology but that is only due to its age.
I suppose it all depends what you want from a cabriolet, carry adults about big engines,then get an A5, or if you occasionally carry 4 passengers and want lower running costs than get an A3.

I read your review when I was doing the research for my wife's cabrio and I've just enjoyed a re-read!

Coincidentally, when we went for the test drive we had to wait a few minutes for the salesman to finish with another customer, so we had a look round the cars in the showroom. There was a black cabrio in SE spec, although we didn't know it at the time - in fact I thought it was a Sport. It looked for all the world just as good inside and out as it's better appointed siblings, apart from the obvious cues such as seating and body kit, of course. I am therefore not surprised that as a basic proposition you liked the SE. My wife would want a few more creature comforts - and that's what she's getting with the S line - but I agree with you that the dealer will have no difficulty in shifting the car you drove when the time comes. It’s an attractive little package.

Reactions: GSB
6' 6" and 22 stone

Not to say Im invincible,
but It does have its benefits!

Stone the ****** Crows yer Audi leather must take some punishment.....yer a giant kid....did yer maw chuck ye in a grow bag when ye where a toddler....lol

I looked at a S3 cabriolet when looking for a new Audi...as l still have some hair left at 54....lol exquisite looking...and would have been awesome in Voodoo,but they have poor residuals only because they are a niche model,the same to applies the TT Roadsters,great discounts on the S3 Cab/TTS/TT cabs but its reflected in their residuals,its my type of car but try to sell it on....difficult very limited audience

Stone the ****** Crows yer Audi leather must take some punishment.....yer a giant kid....did yer maw chuck ye in a grow bag when ye where a toddler....lol
The leather is doing well.......considering :D

Reactions: Jassyo06