S3 8V vs S3 8P3 Stage 2+

Forbzeeee

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi all,

Sorry if this question has been asked but I couldn't find a conclusive answer using search.

My question is how does the new S3 8V compare to an S3 8P3 Stage 2+? Has anyone made the move from old to new? If you have owned, or been in both then I'd really appreciate your feedback.

My current car is a 3 door DSG 8P3 running Stage 2+ and I am approaching 3 years of ownership therefore need to get something new(er). I have test driven the S3 8V but it is hard to compare. The new one feels more nimble and sure-footed but how would it compare head to head?

My local dealer is currently looking for an 8v for me but I need to take my car back to standard before selling so I do not want to go through all of that (plus the expense of having the upgrades removed) to be underwhelmed.

Looking forward to your feedback.

I'm not so sure about direct comparison. Don't forget for as little as £400 the 8V can be upped to ~350bhp with just the tuning box.

Good point. Do you know how this affects 0-60 times or 30-70 times? I would be good to hear from anyone running a tuning box. Was the difference night and day in the same way it was going from standard S3 8p to Stage 1?

I've read both threads and I am now more unsure than I was before. Still can't find any stage 2+ owners who have purchased an S3 8v. I am loving Leos thread though.

I am just about to spend £35k vs keeping mine which is already paid off and still puts a smile on my face when I drive it but its 5 years old and warranty expires in Jan.

Veeeight, what did you have before your 8v? I am guessing you had a v8 at some point too but can't imagine moving from v8 to this

Veeeight, what did you have before your 8v? I am guessing you had a v8 at some point too but can't imagine moving from v8 to this

I had a MY2011 S3 8P Black Ed. I don't regret the move to the 8V.

I've had two stage 2+ 8P's and ive now ordered an S3 saloon which doesn't arrive until March unfortunately.

Ive test driven the 8V S3 hatch and would say the performance is comparable (to a stage 2+ 8P) to be honest. The power delivery of the 8V however is incredibly linear in comparison to the older model.

I would love to have a go in a mapped 8V and will undoubtedly map mine when I get it :)

Last edited:
I used to have a stage 2+ Cupra okay not an S3 but same engine and quicker than an 8p once up and moving. Ive had my S3 mapped now and it has a full tbe and it would be at least as quick as my cupra even once up and moving so deffo quicker then a 2+ S3.

I think realistically a stock 8v would be similar to a stage 1 8p S3 or a stock RS3. A stage 2+ 8p would leave a stock 8v with out doubt.

Where are you based can have a run in mine if you like?

Looking at that video id say maybe a stock 8v would comparable to stage 2ish. The mk6 gets a jump because it cheats with the beeps but the mk7 flys past 80mph+

Last edited:
Reactions: Dazzeroo
Shortly want some vbox results to back things up but the weather isnt playing ball and ive just been busy :)

Reactions: veeeight
What a dilemma for you!

I had the 8P 3.2 instead of the S3 so no tuning possible otherwise I would have had the S3 and definitely modded. A bit older now so won't be doing any mods.

If you're looking at purely engine performance the stage 2 should be on par if not ever so slightly better than a stock S3, however once you start mods on the 8V it enters a whole new territory, just take a read of the threads linked.

If it was me, I would'nt bother, the 8P S3 DSG is still plentiful performance, nice and new looking. I changed car as mine was past 7 years and felt tired of me!

Yeah it's an 8v with rubbish interior and different body work...

I've had two stage 2+ 8P's and ive now ordered an S3 saloon which doesn't arrive until March unfortunately.

Ive test driven the 8V S3 hatch and would say the performance is comparable (to a stage 2+ 8P) to be honest. The power delivery of the 8V however is incredibly linear in comparison to the older model.

I would love to have a go in a mapped 8V and will undoubtedly map mine when I get it :)

Really? Is there not a good 50bhp difference advantage to the 8P Stage 2+?

Its not all about power though is it? The new S3 is 100kg lighter than the previous 8p. Still a stage 2+ 8p would be quicker then an 8v definitely.

The 8Ps were both manual cars and somewhat heavier...the 8V auto is a very quick car indeed from the factory, you only need to look at the performance stats :)

I agree with Rob - Stage 2+ 8P would definitely be quicker than stock 8v. That vid isn't accurate at all and I heard that the S2+ car was on default settings (ie B0 F0 T0), so not worth paying attention to IMO.
This gives you a better idea (albeit Golf 7R's).

One question to the OP - Surely if you have a fairly heavily modded 8P then you have plans to mod the 8v if you buy one?!?! If so then I can't see what your dilemma is tbh. The 8v obviously has a much better platform to build from and a simple map makes it as quick (if not quicker than the S2+ 8p). Any mods over that are just a bonus!

The 8Ps were both manual cars and somewhat heavier...the 8V auto is a very quick car indeed from the factory, you only need to look at the performance stats :)

My 8P is auto

I had an S3 8P HB tunned with Revo Stage 2+. Now I have an S3 8V sedan chipped with Revo Stage 1. From de begining, before REVO, the new one seems quicker for me than the "old one". I don't miss it at old. Is just another car, other specs... Evolution.