S3 8V to RS3 8P... Thoughts

S3orge

Reaction score
So as the title says really, im contemplating a switch to an RS3 8p from my current S3. As much as i'd love an RS3 8V I just cant justify the cost at the minute. Has anybody on here made this switch? If so what were the pro's & con's you found one you had swapped? Cheers

Whilst I'll obviously get vilified for this by their owners...

Every single thing I've read about the 8P RS3 has said it's basically rubbish. Very fast in a straight line but that's it - the handling and feel are hopeless.

Even if this wasn't the case, I couldn't step back from an 8V to an 8P (had two of the former and three of the latter) - it would just feel antiquated.

I had an 8P stage 2+ S3 (362bhp) and i now have a RS 8V. I definitely wouldn't go from an 8V S3 to an 8P RS3 if i were you.

You wont like the handling or the step back with the interior (although the Recaro's are great!). :(

Last edited:
Whilst I'll obviously get vilified for this by their owners...

Every single thing I've read about the 8P RS3 has said it's basically rubbish. Very fast in a straight line but that's it - the handling and feel are hopeless.

Even if this wasn't the case, I couldn't step back from an 8V to an 8P (had two of the former and three of the latter) - it would just feel antiquated.

Yes I know the handling isnt it's best feature by any means. I had 2 8P's (2.0 TDI & Stage 1 S3) so i do know what to expect in terms of interior compared to an 8V and i think this is the main thing holding me back, albeit only slightly. I mean I can live without DAB and bluetooth music streaming in and use the SD card music in exchange for that 5 pot I think :yum:. My S3 8V was relatively basic in terms of spec it didnt have Tech pack/Sat Nav parking sensors etc so they will all be a bonus to me on an RS3. After owning 2 S3's i just feel like I want that extra something mainly a diferent engine & performance.

I had an 8P stage 2+ S3 (362bhp) and i now have a RS 8V. I definitely would go from an 8V S3 to an 8P RS3 if i were you.

You wont like the handling or the step back with the interior (although the Recaro's are great!). :(

Thanks for your input mate, on what basis do you think it would be definitely worth it?

Rear ARB transforms the handling for <£200. At ADI the 8P's were awesome so no idea where the above neg comments come from.

TX.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

Reactions: S3orge
Thanks for your input mate, on what basis do you think it would be definitely worth it?

Sorry typo. I meant to say i wouldn't do it. I would stick with your S3 and tune it if you're bored. :)

Reactions: batch and Jassyo06
Ahh makes a bit more sense now :grinning: Well this S3 is going either way as it's on contract hire which runs out shortly. There is a potential to buy an S3 8V but having been in it for 3 years and an 8P 2 years previous im not sure it would be the best move for me in terms of enjoyment. Is the handling that bad in the RS3? I mean most Audi's let themselves down when it comes to handling. Like terminatorx mentioned above with regards to ARB's im sure there are ways to improve it without spending a fortune if need's be?

I think the 8p RS3 looks the nuts if you can find a nice example that's not been modified that is, this one with Matt aluminium package is my favourite

IMG 0832

Reactions: DW81, jungle650, richinsoton and 4 others
I think the 8p RS3 looks the nuts if you can find a nice example that's not been modified that is, this one with Matt aluminium package is my favourite

View attachment 136738

That front end is much more aggressive than the 8V, both PFL and FL I think. The S3 should have the bumper from the latest model with the RS3 needing a bit more of a "get out of my way, I'm angry" look.

Reactions: Audi Bairn and S3orge
I fully agree mate, I think they look top notch. The rear is starting to look a little dated but by no means ugly and the front end is just beautiful. I defo wouldn't be wanting anything that has been modified . That one you have posted is a stunner! Did you have one at any point?

Reactions: Tom.H
I fully agree mate, I think they look top notch. The rear is starting to look a little dated but by no means ugly and the front end is just beautiful. I defo wouldn't be wanting anything that has been modified . That one you have posted is a stunner! Did you have one at any point?

Never had one mate but l am a fan of the car, as for the handling ie it being renowned for it being nose heavy, that really only shows up wen your pushing the car too much, l have a 2015 S3 Sportback that doesn't handle that great either when pushed, as l said finding a really nice example might take some hard searching the last time l looked at them pristine cars where fetching between £25k to £29k mileage and spec dependant they hold there value very well

Im coming from 2014 s3 3dr so fully apprecaite that they arent necessarilly the best handling cars in the world. But like you say I think you need to be pushing on reasonably hard for it to make you feel unsafe and lets face it there hardly crap handling by any means. Im guessing the RS3 will have similar chracteristics alebit a heavier engine over the front which may highlight it a touch more. I just want the sound & peroformance of that 5 Pot more than anything :tearsofjoy:

Performance wise, wouldn't it be very similar to the 8V S3?

Reactions: SamP97

View attachment 136738
Tis great looking from the front, shame they don't have oval exhausts on the back, well I haven't seen one with them.

There are some well priced TTRs' on auto trader, might be worth a look.

Reactions: batch and James.B8
Tis great looking from the front, shame they don't have oval exhausts on the back, well I haven't seen one with them.

There are some well priced TTRs' on auto trader, might be worth a look.
That's the route I'd go personally. Look a little less dated and have the oval exhausts.

That's the route I'd go personally. Look a little less dated and have the oval exhausts.
Totally agree, the TT's age really well, the mk l's still look good.

Reactions: James.B8
I think a standard RS3 would be similar to an 8VS3 performance wise but I would look at stage 1 in the near future if I felt that it wasn’t making me smile enough haha! With regards to a TT they do age well and the ovals are a bonus but it doesn’t do it for me as much as an RS3 for some reason although they are a cracking car and practically I think it may fall short... car decisions are some of the hardest in life

Reactions: TYb
A standard 8P RS3 is about 340hp so more than the FL S3 and it will have way more torque lower down too. And that noise.

TX.

Sent from my STV100-4 using Tapatalk

Reactions: DW81 and S3orge
Regards to the Bluetooth you can get the 'Tune2air' which plugs into the iPod connection in the glovebox meaning you can stream all your music straight off your phone, it shows up on the nav screen all your playlists etc.

Both are lovely cars, I've looked at both as a possible replacement, there does seem to be a massive draw to having that 5 pot engine,

Also I'd imagine an 8p RS3 will hold its value better than the equivalent priced S3 8v over the next few years.

Regards to the Bluetooth you can get the 'Tune2air' which plugs into the iPod connection in the glovebox meaning you can stream all your music straight off your phone, it shows up on the nav screen all your playlists etc.

Both are lovely cars, I've looked at both as a possible replacement, there does seem to be a massive draw to having that 5 pot engine,

Also I'd imagine an 8p RS3 will hold its value better than the equivalent priced S3 8v over the next few years.

Didn’t know about the Tune2air that sounds pretty decent, especially if it shows up playlists etc as normal Bluetooth in the 8v wouldn’t show that! Yes I have a massive draw to wanting to experience the 5pot after having 2 S3’s. They were both amazing cars but fancy something different. I agree that it would probably hold its value better too

If it’s worth anything - I have an 8P 2.0 TSI Cab - steering feel is non exsistent I’m comparing this to a MK3 Focus and MK5 Mondeo I run alongside and the ride is crash’s. Although it grips well. The gearbox is a bit notchy on the manual, and as before slightly dated inside...

Personally I couldn't go back to an 8p... I had a stage 2 S3 8p and now have a stage 2 S3 8v. I tried for ages to justify moving from my s3 8p to the rs3 8p and couldn't do it. The RS engine is great but for me it was too similar to justify the uplift in costs.

Saying that, I ended up in the S3 8v instead. Ultimately, it's up to you. Cars are always a tough decision but whatever you do good luck.

I suggest you take one out for a test drive and see how you get on with it.

Reactions: Essflee and S3orge
The trouble you’ll have is finding an 8P RS3 that’s not been thrashed within an inch of its life.....

A lot of them will have no warranty left, which in my opinion you need if running one, you gotta be careful you don’t end up with someone’s heavily modified car that’s been ‘standardised’ for sale.

Once things start to fail you could be in for big bills.....

Reactions: DW81 and Jassyo06
Yes possibly but you could argue that about any performance car that is 3+ years old. I’m sure there are plenty of people who treat there RS respectably like many RS/S3 owners on here, but of course there will always be the ones that get hammered. I think it’s a bit of a judgement call you have to make when you buy it.

Well after some thinking im pretty sure im going to give the RS3 a miss. Im very tempted with a facelift M135, you can pick up a decent spec ( M performance exhaust, Harmon Kardon, Pro Nav etc) for circa £21k on a 15/65 plate. I think this will provide the 'something different' factor with RWD and the 3.0 TT straight 6 sounds very sweet!

Reactions: Essflee, richinsoton and Rideen
Well after some thinking im pretty sure im going to give the RS3 a miss. Im very tempted with a facelift M135, you can pick up a decent spec ( M performance exhaust, Harmon Kardon, Pro Nav etc) for circa £21k on a 15/65 plate. I think this will provide the 'something different' factor with RWD and the 3.0 TT straight 6 sounds very sweet!

We have horrible winters where I live and I could never justify having a RWD car. I envy you so much! :(

Great choice I'd say (if you forget about horrible BMW 1 Series interior :whistle2:)!

We have horrible winters where I live and I could never justify having a RWD car. I envy you so much! :(

Great choice I'd say (if you forget about horrible BMW 1 Series interior :whistle2:)!

Im in the midlands so the winters arent as bad around where i live as other places in the country. Saying that i have driven pass many a BMW in the snow when I had my S3 (obviously laughing at them) so I have to accept that will now be me :tearsofjoy:. I think the facelift 1 series interior isnt too bad now . Not as nice as an Audi though! They have updated the steering wheel and the climate control area and when specced with a Pro Nav and its split screen its actually a pretty nice place to be.

Reactions: Rideen
Good choice, really like the BMW M135 / 140 's

Sensible option, the Rs3 8P may require deep pockets.

So as the title says really, im contemplating a switch to an RS3 8p from my current S3. As much as i'd love an RS3 8V I just cant justify the cost at the minute. Has anybody on here made this switch? If so what were the pro's & con's you found one you had swapped? Cheers
Im going the opposite way. I had a 2012 rs3 8p. Fantastic car. Lots of power, smooth gearbox. 16 ish mpg round town. Noisy engines from under the bonnet. Ok from drivers seat. Can suffer from noisy alternator idlers. Also noisy timing chain from cold. 2k revs in park. Fixed by an Audi ecu update. Gearbox can be a bit abrupt in first 2-3 gears when cold. No issues. If not smooth in all seven when warm, may need a gearbox ecu update.

So I thought i'd give a little update for those of you who may be interested. I did choose to go with a 2015 M135i LCI in the end, spec as follows:

21K miles
Alpine White
Red Coral interior
Pro-NAv
Harmon Kardon
Adaptive suspension
Adaptive LED lights
M Performance Exhaust
Front/rear sensors
Folding & Dimming mirrors
Cruise control
Few other bits that i cant remember haha

I've had the car since late November now and initial thoughts are it really is a great machine. I've never been a huge fan of BMW's except M cars. I always thought the interior let them down a bit with nasty steering wheel's and dated layout's, But I am very pleased with mine and the I-drive with Pro Nav is an amazing system, better than i had in my S3, granted i didn't have the tech pack though. The seats are miles better than the SS seats in my S3 with adjustable bolsters etc. On looks wise i'm not sure its as good looking as the S3 out of the box but with a few subtle mods they can be made to look very stylish.

In comparison to the S3 in terms of driving and performance they are 2 very different cars in a lot of ways. I absolutely loved both of my S3's and the comfort and performance they offered with the Quattro (Haldex) especially this time of year, But you cant help falling for the way the M135i performs, it definitely offers more of a driving experience without a doubt, probably because its RWD & the noise coming from the straight 6 with the MPE puts any 4cyl to shame. You just feel a lot more involved with the car.

I know its a fairly brief description & comparison but all in all I am very pleased, if anybody is weighing up a similar swap feel free to ask any questions you might have.

Reactions: TYb and Jassyo06
Just my opinion try and find a good well looked after example will cost a few extra pennies and take it for a nice long test drive across different types of roads. Only then will you know if it’s the change you are looking for mate, it’s all in that test drive.

Edit just read your last post ignore my ramblings please mate

I see mate enjoy the car didn’t read your last post correctly mate my bad.

Reactions: S3orge
I already have moved over mate, I got the M135i in late november

Why didn’t you go for a new m140i considering how much of a discount you can get ? Plus the b58 is the better engine.

I'm not a massive fan of PCP deals to be fair mate, I prefer to have a car that's 18/24mths old that's pretty well specced and already lost a fair bit of its depreciation. I believe the list price of mine was around £35k and i picked it up for £20k, extended warranty is about £350 for the year when its due so I was happy with that route. Even if I did fancy it I think with the spec I was after it would of ended up quite expensive still but yes there was some great deals out around just before Xmas on the 140i, whether they came highly specced i'm not sure . The b58 offers some extra ponies and more torquey lower down but i'm more than happy with the N55, it's a great engine to be fair. I think there have been a few issues with some of the B58 from what i've read on forums etc.

I'm not a massive fan of PCP deals to be fair mate, I prefer to have a car that's 18/24mths old that's pretty well specced and already lost a fair bit of its depreciation. I believe the list price of mine was around £35k and i picked it up for £20k, extended warranty is about £350 for the year when its due so I was happy with that route. Even if I did fancy it I think with the spec I was after it would of ended up quite expensive still but yes there was some great deals out around just before Xmas on the 140i, whether they came highly specced i'm not sure . The b58 offers some extra ponies and more torquey lower down but i'm more than happy with the N55, it's a great engine to be fair. I think there have been a few issues with some of the B58 from what i've read on forums etc.

The N55 sounds a lot nicer, I’m very tempted by a 2nd hand 135/140 once my pcp ends, think it’s time to move away from the pcp trap next time around. That is 2 years yet though....

Yes it certainly does, it has more of that BMW sound to it, coupled with the M perf. Exhaust the noise is addictive. Not sure my neighbors enjoy a cold start though :tearsofjoy: B58 still sounds good just a bit more metallic sounding i think... Don't get me wrong i'm a huge Audi fan boy and always have been but I don't think you'd regret a move to a nicely specced 135/140 after an S3.

Yes it certainly does, it has more of that BMW sound to it, coupled with the M perf. Exhaust the noise is addictive. Not sure my neighbors enjoy a cold start though :tearsofjoy: B58 still sounds good just a bit more metallic sounding i think... Don't get me wrong i'm a huge Audi fan boy and always have been but I don't think you'd regret a move to a nicely specced 135/140 after an S3.

My friends wife has just got a B58 and although figures wise there isn’t much difference, it feels a lot faster.

I’m on my 7th Audi, loved them all, can’t work out my next step though, I drive too many miles for RS3, couldn’t afford any RS’s. The current S4 is very tempting, lovely interior. I will change my mind several times over the next year or so...

Congrats on yours, enjoy

I do love an Audi i just needed a change, I had 4 in a row and like you couldn't justify £40kish on an RS3 so all the others were out the question. I didn't want 3 S3's in a row. I think for enthusiasts picking a car is probably the toughest decision out there :tearsofjoy:.

Cheers mate good luck whenever you change, I'll still be keeping an eye on the forum anyway going forward

Reactions: TYb