S3 8v Servicing

TomBlueS3

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hello there!

People stress about changing DSG and Haldex oil (with good reason) however I’ve also seen mention on this forum about servicing the ‘trans box’ and ‘rear diff’.

Has anyone else serviced these? (Do Audi claim these are lifetime filled?).

Apart from the usual (oil, spark plugs, pollen etc) is there anything else that should be serviced on the S3 8v?

Cheers!

How old is the car?
I’m a bit old school I would take the wheels off and clean up the brakes and grease the pads. Dealership don’t do this nowadays, they stick a camera between the spoke of the wheels and look to see how worn the pads are.
Fuel filter is another one that people forget about as it’s not a mandatory item in the service schedule until something like 60k.
Brake fluid change is another.

Reactions: TomBlueS3
The front "differential" is called the bevel box, and it diverts power from the transmission to the prop shaft towards the rear differential.

I replaced both bevel box and read differential fluid with Redline 75W-110, slightly thicker than the stock 75W-90 fluid specified. Bevel box fluid came out black, rear differential fluid was a light brown. You need about 1 liter each.

How old is the car?
I’m a bit old school I would take the wheels off and clean up the brakes and grease the pads. Dealership don’t do this nowadays, they stick a camera between the spoke of the wheels and look to see how worn the pads are.
Fuel filter is another one that people forget about as it’s not a mandatory item in the service schedule until something like 60k.
Brake fluid change is another.

Thank you for your reply, the car is only 3 years old. Yeah that’s all brilliant advice, the car doesn’t have a fuel filter so that’s one thing I don’t have to worry about!

The front "differential" is called the bevel box, and it diverts power from the transmission to the prop shaft towards the rear differential.

I replaced both bevel box and read differential fluid with Redline 75W-110, slightly thicker than the stock 75W-90 fluid specified. Bevel box fluid came out black, rear differential fluid was a light brown. You need about 1 liter each.

Ah awesome! Yeah I don’t think the bevel box or rear diff is anywhere on Audi’s service schedule!

What sort of mileage/age would you be looking at for replacement of the above fluids?

Thank you for your reply, the car is only 3 years old. Yeah that’s all brilliant advice, the car doesn’t have a fuel filter so that’s one thing I don’t have to worry about!
Theses cars don’t have fuel filters? Really ?

Theses cars don’t have fuel filters? Really ?

In all honesty I thought only diesels had fuel filters - I’m 100% certain the S3 8v doesn’t have one!

In all honesty I thought only diesels had fuel filters - I’m 100% certain the S3 8v doesn’t have one!
I’m gonna have to look into that. With supermarket fuels and low quality stuff all over the place not just in UK but globally I would have thought they put one in to stop injectors clogging up with crap.

My car had only 40K kms when I decided to replace the fluids in the bevel box and rear differential. There is no official Audi change interval, I believe it is inspect only which means Audi may consider it a lifetime fluid. Thankfully they aren't that expensive to buy, and you only need 2 liters in total.

I've done all my service work myself, with genuine parts.
I'm now on 51k with each service according to the schedule.

Now that it's up for sale I will carry out the biggie stuff all over again.

Remember, so long as you are using / can prove genuine parts are being warrenty / good will shouldn't be affected.

I've never had an issue with warrenty work and saved a tonne in labour.