S3 8V (S Tronic ) Complete loss of power on a handful of occasions

Drew S3

Reaction score
This cars not what l would call "confidence inspiring"

On five occasions this week l been left feeling frustrated when l start slowing down for a roundabout or parked cars (2nd/3rd gear) and put my foot down to accelerate and nothing, no power at all for 3 seconds or so, then all of a sudden the car violently takes off with thud! It makes you look as if you can't drive! The loss of power doesn't seem gearbox related but l could be wrong.

Happens in all modes, manual and auto.

Had Audi assist look over the car, couldn't find anything wrong. So booked the car into dealers on wednesday for investigation.

The S3's 7mths old and done 4500mls, I'm not a happy bunny.

3 seconds?

I haven't had that for a while but I do know what you mean, lasts around 1-1.5 seconds then off it goes, I think the sudden foot down confuses the software then it just goes bezerk, even happens in S mode -.-. Oddly enough hasn't happened since 9k miles or so.

3 seconds is too long, I think you're exaggerating!

From what I recall the software "adjusts" to your driving habbit, could be why it hasn't happened to me now.

3 seconds no joking, thought l was going to get out and push the car over to the kerb edge

Had the car from new.

Happened to myself and wife whilst driving.

last night was slowing down for parked cars, when it happened and the car behind was up my ***, it took that long before power resumed, then bang it was back, the driver behind thought l was playing games and was on the horn!

Never had anything like that, in manual a second or so yes but that's because of the limits of the box and you can easily drive around it.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

What mode are you driving in when this happens - dynamic, comfort, auto, efficiency? You do get a slower reaction in either comfort or efficiency than auto, fastest reaction is in dynamic.

If you have individual set up and are using that then what settings are you using?

I'm not in an S3 but I know what the confused thing you're talking about is! When your slowing down the car believes you are in fact slowing and therefore doesn't expect the speeding up. As above I've had it once but only for a second and only at very slow speeds, never when driving normally and slowing in traffic and moving off again as you decribe. Interesting to see what your outcome is.

Downside of dsg - car has to make a decision whether it needs to cue up a higher gear or lower - slowing down then booting it can catch it out if it's already cued a lower gear. I'd visit dealer and see if a sw update available or diagnosic on the gearbox if the mechatronic unit is failing...

Downside of dsg - car has to make a decision whether it needs to cue up a higher gear or lower - slowing down then booting it can catch it out if it's already cued a lower gear. I'd visit dealer and see if a sw update available or diagnosic on the gearbox if the mechatronic unit is failing...
Not convinced its gearbox related, the way its driving my thoughts are throttle problems. Maybe dodgy sensor.

Never had anything like that, in manual a second or so yes but that's because of the limits of the box and you can easily drive around it.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
I have had this also but this is something totally different. After driving 4500mls l know how the gearbox behaves and this week is not the norm, five times the same problem, same driving style as last seven months, don't think its the gearbox been caught out, no way!

How did you get on at the dealers?

I have the same problem, I posted a while back about it. I was told there are occasions when this happens. It was referred to as "box full of neutrals". It's definately not the gearbox selecting the correct gear (I know what that feels like), and often there is no gear change involved. It feels like both clutches are disengaged and there is no drive at all. Then, after 3 seconds or so like you say, it decides to dump the clutch in with a fairly violent jolt.

False neutrals in the DSG go way back.

Had it in my MK5 GTI.

Had it in my MKVI R

In both cases, the mech was replaced under warranty and never had it again.

They (VAG) had supposedly resolved the matter but clearly not.

This isn't an indecisive gear change issue - the mech unit totally messes up and leaves the car in neutral, either eventually finding a gear or requiring you to flick the leaver to manual and back to D. Some have even had to turn the car off and back on.

It isn't a common event, within a model. It is also very rare in the latest DSG units.

Even though I've had it with both previous VAG cars, I still went with DSG. Just too much fun and offers so much flexibility.

I'm surprised nobody has suggested turbo lag. I've had this since new and have learnt to make allowances for it, although it caught me out last night. Was just coasting up to a red light which was about to change and when it did, I floored it, expecting to fly past the other stationary cars. Result: nothing for a second or two, by which time the other cars were rolling and then the power cut in and away we flew. However, if you haven't had turbo lag from new, the problem may well lie elsewhere.

Definately not turbo lag, it's a complete loss of drive, and then a jolt as the clutch re-engages. Sounds more like what WarwickL says, a trip to the dealers may be in order.

Reactions: WarwickL
Anyhow took the S3 in on wednesday, went out on a drive with a technician and the car seems to drive fine apart from another issue regarding the S tronic violently kicking down a gear a two when just pressing down on the throttle slightly, not even half throttle (this has happened from day one of owning the car) He said this shouldn't be happening unless your using the kickdown feature. He had the S tronic also, and he's did Not do this.

Left the car with them for three days, the technician had the car plugged into Audi's diagnostic equipment checking for faults and all latest software updates were done. Apparently they can check every sensor when the car is plugged in, as it does a full sweep of the cars system and updates software to the latest version.

So no mechanical faults, just updated software were needed and the car drives superb now. Had the car out on a good run over the weekend and must say it definitely feels different to how it went in. The car holds gears now when cruising and will only drop two gears when throttle is pressed passed kickdown. Obviously it changes gears up and down continuously but only whats required. Seems to drive spot on now.

They told me the car also had a knocking coming from back, which l was unaware. They had replaced the rear shock mounts to the latest version, does sound quieter though.

Very happy now.

IMG 0278

Reactions: Cymru09, pburv, richinsoton and 3 others
Anyhow took the S3 in on wednesday, went out on a drive with a technician and the car seems to drive fine apart from another issue regarding the S tronic violently kicking down a gear a two when just pressing down on the throttle slightly, not even half throttle (this has happened from day one of owning the car) He said this shouldn't be happening unless your using the kickdown feature. He had the S tronic also, and he's did Not do this.

Left the car with them for three days, the technician had the car plugged into Audi's diagnostic equipment checking for faults and all latest software updates were done. Apparently they can check every sensor when the car is plugged in, as it does a full sweep of the cars system and updates software to the latest version.

So no mechanical faults, just updated software were needed and the car drives superb now. Had the car out on a good run over the weekend and must say it definitely feels different to how it went in. The car holds gears now when cruising and will only drop two gears when throttle is pressed passed kickdown. Obviously it changes gears up and down continuously but only whats required. Seems to drive spot on now.

They told me the car also had a knocking coming from back, which l was unaware. They had replaced the rear shock mounts to the latest version, does sound quieter though.

Very happy now.

View attachment 96099
Good to see you got it sorted !

Reactions: pburv
Thanks for the update. Definately have to get mine in to have it checked, have an S3 saloon in sepang the same as you, and have already had my rear suspension mounts changed. Good chance I'll need the same software updates as you too.

Thanks for the update. Definately have to get mine in to have it checked, have an S3 saloon in sepang the same as you, and have already had my rear suspension mounts changed. Good chance I'll need the same software updates as you too.

Yeah, it will drive a lot better once done :yes:

Very happy now.

View attachment 96099
Is that Noggy? :hearteyes::hearteyes::hearteyes:

Yeah, it will drive a lot better once done :yes:
Well I'm booked in on the 21st (earliest a courtesy car will be available). Looked like Sepang in the picture above. Had the pleasure of a Nogaro blue S3 for an extended test drive while I was waiting for mine to be delivered. Very nice indeed, but couldn't justify the extra cost for an exclusive colour that was so similar to Sepang.

So this seems to be the closest thread to a problem that I am experiencing.

Driving my S-Troinic in any mode (apart from dynamic) say at 30-40mph, sometimes when I press the accelerator there is a complete lack of power and virtually no acceleration unless you slam it to the floor into kick-down. The boost gauge lights up 2 bars and no further, but if you gently accelerate more, nothing happens. When it is working fine (most of the time), there is smooth acceleration and the boost gauge lights up all the way.

This has been happening occasionally for several months, so it went in on Monday for a service and investigation. Needless to say they couldn't find anything despite putting 24 miles on my car.

Typically on Tuesday morning it had the fault again, and also on the evening so I drove it straight to the Audi garage (as requested) for them to see it. I got there at 4:40 but by the time I got to see someone at 5:05 they said all the technicians had gone home.

It is now booked in for 3 days for them to do an extended test, but there is no guarantee the problem will occur over those 3 days. I have kept a log more recently and I have experienced the issue on:

9/10
19/10
01/11
02/11

Has anyone experienced similar? I understand that they want to replicate the fault, but they must have some idea as to the cause (from other cases) and what components they may need to replace to resolve the issue if they can't replicate it.

When the issue occurs, I just drive it in manual using the paddles which gets round the problem.