S3 8V PFL - Wider wheels?

TAL3B

Reaction score
Hi guys,

First post...

I've been looking to get some aftermarket alloys... Looking for a deep concave look.

The wheels I've settled on are 19 x 8.5j ET35...

My question is if anybody has experience running wider alloys all round or staggered... I was looking at potentially getting 19 x 9/9.5.

Anybody had any issues in performance etc.? Also, if I was to add spacers, would there be any negative side effects?

I'm not lowered ATM, still stock.

I would appreciate any help guys!

Cheers!

T

First do you have a Sportback or Saloon? Because those offsets will only work on a saloon.

Secondly your car has quattro which means the wheel circumference should be the same (even different wear on the same sized tires can be felt in some cases). So you could run a staggered setup but as on the RS3 (which runs 255/235) the wider wheels are at the front because the rear wheels can put down maximum 50% of the power where the fronts can put down almost 100% of the power and will “react” faster than the rear wheels because the haldex clutch doesn’t has to engage before putting power down.

Third if you choose to run a staggered setup front or rear the wheels has to be quattri “approved” which is typically seen with a RO2 mark on the side which means even though the circumference with a 255/30 and 235/35 tyre should be different it isn’t.

Hi Lehn,

Thanks for the help.

I have the sportback... When you say would only work on saloon, why is that? Is offset just not how far the wheel would sit in the arch? I actually prefer the wheels spaced out look lol... Do alloy spacers not change the overall ET figure?

If it wouldn't be possible, what ET should I be going for?

And I don't believe I'll be going for the staggered fitment.

Sorry for all the newbie questions .

Thanks again for the help!

Cheers,

T

Hi Lehn,

Thanks for the help.

I have the sportback... When you say would only work on saloon, why is that? Is offset just not how far the wheel would sit in the arch? I actually prefer the wheels spaced out look lol... Do alloy spacers not change the overall ET figure?

If it wouldn't be possible, what ET should I be going for?

And I don't believe I'll be going for the staggered fitment.

Sorry for all the newbie questions .

Thanks again for the help!

Cheers,

T

The body of the saloon and sportback is different. The saloon can handle a much wider setup without poking.

The offset is how the wheels is positioned in relation to the centerline of the wheel (centerline is the keyword here because a wider wheel with the same offset will be both closer to the suspension and arch, people tend to forget this).

Wheel size for a flush look on the sportback is:
Front: 8.5x19 ET45 235/35
Rear: 8.5x19 ET35 235/35

Try to take a look at these two posts, they pretty much shows all you need. I've changed the tyres from Goodyear Eagle F1 Asy 3 to Michelin PS4S which is pretty much the widest 235/35 tyre you will find (on the picture below I have 8mm spacers mounted on the rear axle which makes it equal to ET37).

https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threads/new-alloys-advice-please.376615/#post-3286883

https://www.audi-sport.net/xf/threa...to-your-8v-today.236518/page-207#post-3338343

IMG 4762

Reactions: HK1A3
Thanks again Lehn!

Really appreciate the help.

T

Reactions: Lehn
For alittle more poke, you can actually run 8.5x19 ET35 235/35 on the front too, same for the back. ET45 is too conservative.

Im lowered on Eibach pro and it runs perfect

yeXLZWHXGGjRMbiIkz5u6LJ-lOOf_zEZDxZZ2xhhT945flQfSatz61peatBoJghByw8jFVCwmwQR2vDEHt_V2AlmqbzM5tQkWwYDCTmh10rg87TaFLQQeqwtJR_Z_2VK7TB-5reG0f0f1acaSAA74feXj9dhdCOCNLdTJDBmGYeXKMel9nNIZpeATidex7kZnGzXtNsRaYZUgvmnxYWYffPCv6lpV3LkMDwLh3_11IFwJ_h_Kn9PD4afpJxQago_RCLvMyhv1GQjSzP-i03esH3ddigBuMmd_UuXn3lhAW28bogAtTE213Y84Yy-DKHU0dR7eiPGsLSJvs9aEHxGjGe9d_qw70TQBxCcg_3JF00sewqZ_eNvO1jD9_SqA1yX7dFvwZGtcB--Z5X6f7t0AR8HefcL6fA20rl2IpCBbjqLB2ulyC9cSEVbnIcmKr62cEk4YygQ2dWJWxzRefXYWxG_fk51PXFHzxlTX7yz7VFqNDNKc1EKKuaUIhSa4jNuyvIjd0FofGwDVa1omCR4tzs1iPHxL7hYuYUzf_Eye2QY7xejDlXCXjDb6vsCMaBNgwiiGTJCAYVhQZWTaz9ywkLA8Xt6RrsbxdGLqVtyGNozxfIomDdFcyYVGJtvVvzulCKL3o-tqELJef5ullNSMLCHFvUEsThW9zKAWPDf-pzi292U5626DFVSyg-p=w404-h606-no